Author Topic: Mystery engine  (Read 14165 times)

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
Re: Mystery engine
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2021, 01:39:40 PM »
I think a full copper gasket should work. The only holes needed are the three bolt holes and the key hole section. It looks like the key hole tab is the weak part.

We used hundreds of copper gaskets on the diesel engines I worked on including head gaskets.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline RayW

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2022, 01:34:08 PM »
Did away with the gasket altogether and achieved a satisfactory seal by lapping both faces.
Ray

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2022, 08:35:23 PM »
Great - so now it runs without any problems ?

Offline RayW

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2022, 09:37:46 PM »
Running nicely now thanks Per. Just need to play around with valve timings, etc to get it running a bit slower if possible. Next job is to paint it in a suitable "old" colour, perhaps a matt dull red? The Mid Brunswick Green and black that the body and base are painted now are really not in keeping with the age of the engine. It seems that many of the early Schoenner engines, after which this is modelled, were finished in shades of dull red or brown.
Ray

Offline RayW

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2022, 03:28:30 PM »
Fitted a slightly larger section Viton O Ring to improve compression. It was a bit too tight to start with, but soon wore down to a nice fit. I started to have problems with starting and when I tried the spark plug outside the engine I was getting a good strong spark at the plug from the trembler coil at low revs, but completely losing the spark once speed increased. All electrical contacts appeared to be good, so came to the conclusion that the coil must be breaking down.
I purchased and fitted a Minimag MCL-1 electronic ignition kit and got a spark at all speeds, but still very weak. After further investigation, I found that the spring brass strip which makes contact with the rotating disk on the crankshaft, was vibrating and only making the lightest of contact, insufficient to give a good spark at the plug. With a bit of bending to give a tighter contact, the engine burst into life, so I now suspect the the Model T Ford trembler coil was not at fault after all. At least it will come in useful on some future engine.
Ray

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2022, 07:37:54 PM »
Oh yes - it's often the small details that makes the difference  :)

Great that you have a satisfactory result  :cheers:

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal