Supporting > Vehicles & Models

RAF airboat, 16th scale possible build

(1/3) > >>

tghs:
years back I found the good clear photo of this boat,, purpose built from "spare" parts, fairy swordfish floats, hawker tail and walrus engine.. not enough info in the photo to work up a good set of plans,, the other day stumbled on 2 other photos, not clear but do clear up enough to get as set plans together.. thinking that my 1/16th HSL whaleback could use a running partner,, at 1/16th it will be in the 34" range, looking at brushless electric motor hidden in the engine nacelle ,, but it would leave room for a very detailed dummy Bristol Pegasus engine,, now looking for a good dimensioned engine drawing.. this would be very cool project for a scale radial engine project as you would be able to use it without the fear of crashing from the sky..

Vixen:
Hello tghs,

An interesting waste of Her Majesties resources, but idle hands will always find something to do.

I have the Bristol works handbooks for several different Marks of the Bristol Pegasus (it's a long stroke Mercury, or is the Mercury a short stroke Pegasus) Either way, I could scan the Pegasus GA drawings from which you could build a detailed dummy engine.

Stay safe

Mike

tghs:
that would be outstanding!!! it's just to cool of something not to build a model of,, I have found drawings for the floats, tail fin and close enough for the engine nacelle,, on the whaleback side of things a photo showed up that shows a whaleback with something besides a solid black hull,, it also operated out of Egypt as the airboat did, a very good candidate for the finish of my model. folks are trying to work out the colors..

Vixen:
I'll look out what drawings are in the handbooks over the next few days. I will also check which Mark of Pegasus they fitted to the Walrus and see what I have nearest. I can scan the handbook images and send them to you. PM me with you e-mail address as the files will be too big to post on the forum.

Check out my ' Mercury revisited' topic for detailed photos. The Mercury and Pegasus were almost identical, except for displacement.

Stay safe

Mike

Vixen:
That was easy. The Pegasus VI P (pusher) was fitted to the Walrus 1 and II. I'll have a look and see what handbooks I have.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version