Author Topic: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.  (Read 16717 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2021, 08:44:49 PM »
I was going to silver solder the little fork ends on the eccentric rods but I have left my flux at work following a pipe remake on the Fowler :cussing:     Instead I started on the expansion link and fetched out the jig that I used for the Burrell. Some relocation of holes, etc needed.  This size fits on the mill much easier.  I drilled two starter holes in the slot and it all seems to be OK. Ran out of time so will have to complete next time.            Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2021, 08:47:30 PM »
Thats a very clever way of doing the expansion link arc with a long radius, never seen that before, looks like it supports it well.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2021, 06:13:41 AM »
Wow! That is pretty tricky!  I'll have to file that away for future use.

How do you know how far to turn the RT to get the curve you want?  Do you trig it all out? Or do you just turn till you get to the marks you've made?  Or did you drill the endpoints and are just joining them with a curve?

Interesting setup for sure!
Kim

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2021, 10:39:22 AM »
Excellent, I’m definitely filing that one away.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2021, 05:13:25 PM »
Thanks for comments.    Kim, I mark it all out and follow the marks.  The start holes are to give the endmill access.  The different radii are achieved by   adjusting the x axis.  I take no credit for the set up...it is detailed in Edward George's book "Model Traction Engines Design & Consruction"
Glad it's been helpful.       Terry

Offline EricB

« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2021, 06:07:12 PM »
Very interesting setup!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Eric

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2021, 09:15:40 PM »
Thanks,     Finished it off this evening, removed it from the mill and completed the job freehand with a selection of files. Whilst the expansion link will work ok I was in too much of a rush and it is "below standard".  :embarassed: I would be unhappy to put it in your hand and say "I made that"  :hellno:  I shall use it to set-up the engine but intend to make better one soon.          Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2021, 09:25:18 PM »
Progressed the eccentric rods today.  A screw and some spacers positioned the bits. The two parts were drilled and pinned before silver soldering and then filed  to shape.  I think I am going to put this build on hold for a while :shrug:  We have three steam tests at work soon,  I have just finished restoring my old mountain bike and converted it to electric, our caravan has just been replaced with a campervan and needs sorting for next weekend........ The Clarkson is not getting my full attention so is best left for a while :-\               Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2021, 10:06:45 PM »
Most jobs sorted so back to the Clarkson.....made the valve and it's bits. Next job is to set-up the eccentric rods, then make the rest of the reversing gear.  A few photos to show progress.    Why was I thinking of sliced malt loaf when I cut the cast iron for the eccentric sheaves? Made the way they were because I'm using what materials I have.         Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2021, 07:04:50 AM »
Good to see you back on this one and straps are looking good.

Gil (Reddrryder) posted a video of a nice example recently.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO9KdMkYpMY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO9KdMkYpMY</a>

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2021, 08:55:30 PM »
Sure is a nice engine Jason,    I shall have to up my game and look again at parts of mine :thinking:          Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2021, 09:42:58 PM »
I have managed to make a bit more time in the shop.     Been updating a few bits:-       Modified the crank disc into "balance weight" type.   Not keen on grub screws, I've cut the crankshaft and flywheel to fit a key.  Made a new expansion link to a different pattern.     Alongside this I have fettled the Charlesworth leak and progressed the boiler and it's fittings. :)
In this current heat my shed stays lovely and cool. (unlike me when serious filing and hacksawing needs to be done :old:)

Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2021, 08:42:31 PM »
It has been a week or three since I last updated this thread.......Once the challenge of building with barstock rather than castings was overcome I have found it hard to be enthusiastic about this engine. :(  I just wanted to complete it and move on. I suspect that the real reason is that is not a REAL engine that exist full size and has little historic interest.  One day I may revisit it and paint / polish it properly. I have a picture or two. One of it being "run-in" on the lathe. My wife has taken a video of it running on air which it does quite well in forward and reverse. We will youtube that soon.           Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2021, 08:54:27 PM »
Apologies...... just noticed camera was on wrong setting for upload, so no pic of running in.  I will take static pics tomorrow.            Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2021, 07:05:17 AM »
Looking forward to the pics and video.

I think it's a common problem, a lot of people seem to go at the castings (or fabrication) first and then start to loose interest once they get to the smaller fiddly bits then the engine gets put to one side and forgotten. If you look at the second hand casting s for sale this seems to be the case where many have had all the castings machined but very little else. I usually try and do a mix of castings, smaller parts and fixings as I go along rather than leave it all to the end.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal