Author Topic: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.  (Read 16720 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2021, 08:41:14 PM »
Cheers Kim,   Yes the bike project is fun and promises more fun :whoohoo:   the Fowler less so.....Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2021, 09:11:26 PM »
Back to the Clarkson.    Still on the theme of using what I have (within reason!)  I have made an aluminium piston. This engine is unlikely to be steamed so corrosion is not an issue. Also I have some nice 2" cast iron piston rings.  Once again couldn't resist some loose assembly as an encouragement to further progress.       Terry

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2021, 12:00:21 AM »
Nice to see an update on this, Terry.

Are some of the studs shorter than the others - on the part where the upright connects?  Is that on purpose or just the way it is at the moment?

Kim

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2021, 01:04:22 AM »
Lovely work. I just had a bery pleasant read through of the whole thread.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2021, 07:23:44 PM »
Thank you Kim and Stuart,   Kim, some studs are longer as they hold some of the reversing gear.        Terry

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2021, 05:29:58 AM »
Ah, I see!  Thanks Terry,
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2021, 09:40:15 PM »
A little bit of spare time so made slight progress.  I know a lot of you make con-rods from solid but my milling cutter stock is not up to it.  Silver solder was also a no no due to lack of heat :facepalm2:   The old stick welder was employed to join the two pieces on a jig. I did not make the process easy for  myself as I put on too much weld,  so lots of filing to do.     Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2021, 09:36:18 PM »
Con rod progress.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2021, 07:10:28 AM »
It's coming along.

I can't help feeling that is an odd design of conrod for an engine of this size particularly given the way Clarkson went to the effort of lots of studs suggesting it is based on quite a large engine. If it had been intended just as a working engine then 4 cylinder studs and a simple big end would have done. But I would have expected some form of split bearing at the very least to allow for adjustment.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2021, 05:03:49 PM »
I agree Jason,   but......My Burrell and my Charlesworth engine both had proper split bigends,  I wanted a change and the drawing allowed this.  As it will not do much work it's more than adequate.    The drawing does not even specify an oiler!         Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2021, 09:29:25 PM »
It's QUIZ time :)         I seem to have made a bit of a bog of this engine........in the process of trial assembly to spot through the column fixings I noticed the piston sticking out of the cylinder top :o       obviously there is an error in measurement somewhere. The second picture shows some of the bits that may be at fault. Assuming I find the error(s) I will post details next Sunday pm. In the meantime hazard a guess , naturally there are NO prizes :Lol:         Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2021, 09:42:54 PM »
My guess is the piston rod is too long, since if conrod was too long the crosshead likely would have hit the gland at top of the stroke. Measured something with 8ths instead of 32nds? Or your shop gnomes welded an extra piece on the end of your ruler. Do you hear snickering from the top shelf?  :Lol:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2021, 07:16:31 AM »
My guess is you followed the drawings :(

Although there are a couple of undimensioned parts it's not too hard to take a punt at those and adding things up I get 1/4" more for the moving parts than the static ones.

I'd slip the cylinder off and then check how far down the piston is going and hopefully you can just make a simple adjustment to piston rod length

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2021, 02:35:37 AM »

I'd slip the cylinder off and then check how far down the piston is going and hopefully you can just make a simple adjustment to piston rod length

I’ll ‘second’ Jason’s suggestion.  Hopefully, a simple fix.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2021, 07:31:17 PM »
Thank you all,      Yes piston rod too long.  I do not normally follow the drawing as close as I did this time. Measurements usually taken from assembled parts and worked out  from spacing, etc. ..not had this problem before.  The rod has been modified and all is well.  Valve gear next, working from the model--not the drawing.             Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal