Author Topic: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.  (Read 16723 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2021, 07:39:57 PM »
I tend towards a thin layer of JB Weld as you don't want the excess squeezing up and blocking anything

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2021, 08:22:01 PM »
Cylinder now assembled courtesy of screws and JB.   Drilled through uprights into trunk guide,  tapped threads then opened out uprights with clearance size drill. Assembled with a couple of temporary screws to see if all ok.  Cylinder is now sat on our central heating boiler for a day or two to cure.  I do not think that I am going to mill out the round body to expose the flanges :(  and make it more "casting like". A bit of stud making is possibly the next job.             Terry

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2021, 07:10:08 AM »
If you put a couple of dummy brass round head screws either side where curve meets edge of valve block you can tell people it has a cleading ssheet around the cylinder and the "void" is filled with insulation. ;)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2021, 08:38:53 PM »
In spite of my previous post I decided that I would mill out the "waist" on the cylinder.  The plan was to set it in the 3 jaw on the rotary table
with tailstock support and mill lots of converging flats.   The table was bought many years ago along with it's matching tailstock which I have never used.  On setting up the tailstock was NOT a matching unit :cussing:   Change of plan required.       Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
Today continued to highlight a lack of the right equipment. I simply needed to drill a 5/8" hole in the conrod stock. My pillar drill lacked a morse taper so the job was done on the Atlas (just)     I drilled and faced the ends of the reversing shaft bracket on the little Clark.. intermittent cuts...very cruel on the little lathe.  Some time spent yesterday applying JB fillets to the base and trunk guide.       Terry

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2021, 09:40:14 PM »
Very nice work Terry. I would of silver soldered the port face to the cylinder. I have done successfully quite a few times by thinning the port face first then placing flat pieces of solder with flux on it and sweeting the two together in a jig to hold it so pressure can be applied to the port face after heating and the solder has melted.

Regards Don

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2021, 09:49:44 AM »
Thank you Don,    I had considered soldering and it would have been a better job. Unfortunately I don't have a big enough torch at present. :(

Regards      Terry

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2021, 10:31:55 AM »
Even with a decent torch it is not that easy to silver solder CI though it can be done

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2021, 08:54:30 PM »
Reversing shaft bracket finished and test fitted to the cylinder / valve chest.     Fabricated the second bracket needed on the reversing mechanism.       Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2021, 08:04:37 PM »
With this engine I decided at the start to make "proper" studs.  As it has turned out I resorted to commercial threaded rod because I failed to make proper ones to a good standard. Very annoying as it seems a simple task.  Cut to length,......thread one end,......turn round and screw into a threaded mandrel in the chuck. For some reason  they always failed to run concentric. Lack of patience........bought threaded rod. :embarassed:       Cheered myself up buy getting a first coat of primer on and telling myself that the stud shanks will be hidden anyway.              Terry

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2021, 09:56:36 PM »
Man!  That would have been a “but-load” of studs to make.  I can see why you opted for the threaded rod.  It’s hard to justify making your own studs when threaded rod is so cheap and as you state... the shanks are hidden anyway.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2021, 10:05:28 PM »
Looking very good!

I also use the threaded rod for cases like that - started when I did the Marion steam shovel, there were several hundred studs of different lengths just in the booms and frames. 

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2021, 01:49:14 PM »
More studs, this time for a repair to the boiler clack on a friend's 4" scale Fowler. One end threaded 3/16" bsw, then screwed into a tapped mandrel , then 2ba on the other end!! This time all worked well apart from blurry photos. :facepalm2:          Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2021, 09:34:47 PM »
Just on the off chance that someone thinks this build has ceased I have been sidetracked  by some renovation work on a friend's 4"Fowler traction engine.  In addition I've been converting one of my bicycles to electric.....hopefully to help my knees  :old:   Back on the Clarkson soon.
Terry

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2021, 05:34:53 AM »
That's the way life works - things come up and projects get put on hold for a while.  Your current diversions sound like fun too though! :)
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal