Author Topic: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.  (Read 16728 times)

Offline pieterb

Re: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2021, 11:06:20 AM »
Those curves you bend are really nice. Only one question: on the picture 11 (close up of press setup) you have the 2 small tubes. Did you weld these to something? I tried something like this once and one tubes was suddenly launched into the shop. It rolled out when the press was under pressure. Scary moment for me then.... :thinking:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2021, 06:57:47 PM »
Hi Pieterb,  No the tubes were not fixed, I too have had things "move" under pressure....some of us never learn :zap:
Pleased you like the press Propforward, I needed one and had no spare money to buy one, function comes before appearance. It continues to be very useful.

I finished the main bearings on the little Clarke lathe today.  The dial gauge is another "use what you have" quick fixes. 

The brasses will be made on the Atlas simply because the 3jaw is already set up.         Thanks for following      Terry   

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2021, 05:36:45 PM »
Apart from fillets, etc. the base is finished for now.  I have followed the drawing for mounting the bearing housings,  ie. the fixing bolts are tapped underneath. It seems odd as the drawing also shows protruding "feet" at both ends .   At the moment I have no material for the cylinder or trunk guide so will look at the drawings and see what parts can be made  from my existing stocks.  Up to now the only spend has been the flywheel casting. :)             Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2021, 06:10:57 PM »
Looking good

I think I would be tempted to add a couple of screws from below into the bottom halves of the bearing blocks. That way you can line them up and leave them in position and just remove the caps if you want to get the crank out. The "feet" can be found on other engines, my Tidman is similar and copied from full size.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2021, 08:16:50 PM »
Jason that is what I have done but obviously not explained it correctly.    The lower halves are tapped with 2ba screws fitted up through the base.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2021, 09:55:44 PM »
Following an extensive search in my scrapbinium mines some material has been located for my cylinder and trunk guide :whoohoo:  Not the ideal choice but with careful choice of piston and crosshead material all will work well.            Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2021, 07:51:32 PM »
Extracted the metal for the cylinder and trunk guide :thinking: Trunk guide piece  machined to nominal od. then shortened on the home made saw. A shoulder was machined to locate the flange which is being cut from some plate and will be welded on prior to final machining.  I do not own a fixed steady hence the odd set  up to face the other end. The bore will initially be drilled and then bored before a final hone. Before that happens I need to decide how to attach the side mountings. I suspect they will screwed on.   Yes I know a casting would be easier but I'm not using them.              Regards to all             Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2021, 07:41:47 PM »
The trunk guide bore has now been drilled, done in stages up to 23mm, the largest drill that fits the 2mt tailstock.  I then milled a couple of flats on the sides to locate the mounting pads. These will be held with csk screws on the centre line.  Next came boring out to 1 1/4 ins. This was done from both ends due to short boring tools, the plan was to final bore at work on the big lathe after lockdown. However I found an old tool at the back of the shed that would do the job. (just)        While the lathe autofeed coped with lots of small cuts I made a start on the cylinder end cover.
made from some 1/4 in plate, this will also serve as the master jig for  the cylinder and trunk guides' 16 fixing studs.    The fun continues.......
               Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2021, 08:02:59 PM »
Drilled and tapped 4ba to locate the side pads then setup and drilled/ milled the side openings. Next  I will weld the top flange then back in the chuck to tidy up and face. I was going to weld the side pads but have decided not to. Apart from possible distortion it is not needed , as there will be ten studs tapped into the trunk guide to fix to the uprights.  JB weld will close the gaps on the side pad joints.
I have had a change of plan for the cylinder and have ordered some cast iron. This should make a better (and easier) job than the EN8 found in the scrap bin.         Terry

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2021, 02:37:02 AM »
Looking good Terry!... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2021, 07:47:38 PM »
Thank you Don,      I have now welded the top flange and faced it off.  Couldn't resist "resting" it in position  :)       I might leave this for a while now and get on with some other parts.              Regards              Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2021, 06:43:14 PM »
Started on the eccentrics, all standard stuff.    Set the offset on the mill using the dial readout.   Lacking suitable tooling I had to remove from the mill and set the drilled centre in the 4 jaw and drill/ ream on the lathe.   Drilled for grubscrews, just need tapping now.         Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2021, 07:06:33 PM »
Postie brought some cast iron today :)   As a result I have made a start on the cylinder assembly. Plan is to make the bottom cover first, part off, make top cover, part off, make cylinder.  I will continue to post on this build but I am aware that it is a simple engine and my set-ups are basic to say the least :embarassed:  However I am having fun and still cannot believe how much time I am able to spend in the shed.  What a great hobby we share,            Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2021, 07:26:48 PM »
Cock-up time   :cussing:   Parting off the bottom cover  and broke my last parting tool. The solution was to turn the material around and machine it parallel on it's full length.....it then fitted in the saw vice.   Only then did I notice that I had drilled the gland aperture full depth  :facepalm:
I decided to thread right through and turn a small recess on the inside face. I will then make a short threaded bush with a small collar to fit the recess. loctite and careful peening should fix it and still allow the gland nut enough room on the outside.  Back to the hacksaw next to cut off the top cover leaving a just overlength lump for the cylinder. That should provide some entertainment.  :Lol:             Regards           Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2021, 08:12:17 PM »
Quite prototypical to have a "neck bush" in the cover  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal