Author Topic: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.  (Read 16733 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 06:59:20 PM »
Thank you all. :ThumbsUp: :cheers:     Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 08:05:16 PM »
Had some unexpected spare time today so  a little more progress made.            I milled a shallow locating slot in the back of the uprights to aid fabrication.   Some may have noticed that I do not make workshop equipment to look good :hellno:  and my home made press is no exception but it does the job! A quick cobbled up set up with a bit of scrap and  the uprights are shaped.  Thanks again for the advice......I don't know why I was apprehensive.       Terry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 09:04:13 PM »
Looks cracking Terry: you have achieved a lovely smooth bend :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 09:28:29 PM »
Thanks Jo

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 09:07:59 PM »
Set up this simple jig to assemble the uprights.  Having put the press away I had to resort to the bench vice for a couple of little tweaks to ensure the upright's accuracy.    run out of time so welding next time.    A bit dissapointed to find so many glaring drawing errors on something that's been around some time. The upright's base fixing holes for a start.    Nothing major as long as you work it out before touching metal.           
Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2020, 08:38:40 PM »
We have mig / tig, etc at work but true to form things need to be done in my shed if at all possible. ::)   So I fetched out the old cheepo stick set and welded my uprights. They will look fine after the attentions of the Dremel and a bit of JB.  Before that the locating slot for the trunk guide needed milling.
As a break from the uprights I have been turning the flywheel, the bores for this and the crank disc have been reamed to finished size.   Next will be the crankshaft which will be turned to fit the bores....(better than doing it the other way round)            Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2021, 08:50:52 PM »
Well I have to say it's great to get back in the shed :)   My wife's ribbon business got busy earlier than normal this year so no spare time at all. We have been flat out since mid September! I almost feel guilty when so many businesses are suffering, but we have grafted with 14hr days, 7 days / week.            The Clarkson flywheel, crank disc and shaft are done, and the uprights just need a bit more tidying.  I have decided to fabricate the base next.  Jig-sawed from 3mm plate and edges cleaned up with files, I've angled the ends to look more casting-like. It will be screwed together with ally blocks and then welded. Blocks removed and holes welded up.
        With bad weather outside the shed is quite congested and involves climbing over stuff to reach scrapbin stock, etc. I hope to be continuing this build now at my usual "steady" pace :old:      Best Wishes to all.        Terry

Nearly forgot.....also making a cover for the Charlesworth

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2021, 07:24:49 PM »
More progress on the base "casting"   I will let photos explain as it is all standard fabrication. Used the old stick set again. Next job is to make/fix the wells for the crank disc and eccentrics followed by the pads for mounting thee works.       Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 10:20:07 PM »
Base nearly complete,  ran fly cutter over top pads to ensure all level.  Just needs some tidying with files and then JB "fillets" adding.
I hope everyone is keeping safe.           Best Wishes                Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2021, 10:25:47 PM »
Base is coming out nice!  Someday I gotta go take a welding class or three...
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 10:30:38 PM »
   I have to stick weld Chris, not enough torch capacity to silver solder or braze!     Mann wagon coming on great.            Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2021, 07:09:20 AM »
That's about two of the main fabrications out of the way now with just the trunk guide to go which should not be too bad to do.

Are the 4 pads just screwed/rivited or have you bonded them on? Should not make a lot of difference as they are really just decorative spacers with teh threads in teh main top plate doing the work of holding things together.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2021, 10:42:04 AM »
Just screwed Jason, as you say the lot gets held together when the "works" are through bolted.       Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 07:31:06 PM »
Next up are the main bearings.  Aluminium is not my favourite material but I had some the right size. I did most of the shaping with hacksaw and files which I find very satisfying. The 4jaw was set up on my little Clarke so made use of that.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 10:45:26 PM »
Hey I really like your shop press! Great work all round I say. Very interesting build.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal