Author Topic: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.  (Read 16732 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Two inch Clarkson Vertical.
« on: September 17, 2020, 09:14:09 PM »
This is a brief intro to my new project.  The 2" Clarkson vertical with reversing gear. I have bought the drawings and a flywheel casting, the rest will be fabricated. I've made a start by chain drilling, sawing and filing the uprights....welding next (Wot no laser cutting!) I have also bought a set of castings /drawings for the Clarkson Steeple engine, although I am waiting on some missing items before I start that one.   The plan is to build them together to make for plenty of variety in my workshop. I have added a photo of the steeple castings although I hope a certain Su**us doesn't spot them ;)    Progress is likely to be slow so don't wait up!       Terry

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: Two inch Clarkson Vertical.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 10:03:15 PM »
 :popcorn:
  Got my ticket &  ready for the ride!

John

Offline Woodguy

• Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 06:54:56 PM »
How big is that flywheel?

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 07:50:00 PM »
The second pic is for the 2" vert and is approx 6" dia. The third pic is the steeple and is about 10" dia.  Hope that helps.      Terry

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 08:22:26 PM »
Off to a promising start, reminds me of when I made the Tidman organ engine.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 08:33:04 PM »
Next move on the uprights is to bend them. I have never had to bend cold rolled ms before only black hot rolled. Now then, do I need to use heat?
In the mean time started on the crank disc, found a nice piece of scrapbinium,  straight forward turning job and a pleasant change from  recent jobs,
   Terry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 06:32:31 AM »
Next move on the uprights is to bend them. I have never had to bend cold rolled ms before only black hot rolled. Now then, do I need to use heat?

They look fairly thick so heating them will make them easier to bend. How did you bend the spokes on your traction engine?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 07:15:51 AM »
If you have a reasonably strong vice then they will bend fine cold and without annealing. If you use the 3 point method and work your way along making many small bends it's quite easy to do. I shaped the front tyres on my Fowler this way and they fitted with almost zero gap between them and the ring.

What thickness material are you using? 5 or 6mm I would do in the bench vice but if less then the mill vice will work Ok and not get strained, also makes it easier to jig things so your bending points are at right angled to the curve. Unless you have a press available which is even better

This is the Tidman (3mm material) that I mentioned, two points provided by the vee block and the brass bar is the third, it's really just like a press brake and no burnt fingers.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:09:21 AM by Jasonb »

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 10:50:05 AM »
Jo,   On the Burrell they were standard bends, not gentle curves.  I used to have a VERY heavy machine vice which sat on the  floor as I could not lift it, one end of the spoke was held in the jaw and t'other end thumped with a big heavy hide hammer!.....sounds crude but it worked a treat.
Jason,  I'm using 3/16" plate which has had 2hours in t'oven at 220 before I started.  I "press" ahead with confidence :ShakeHead:
Thank you both for your interest.       Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2020, 10:51:46 AM »
Jason,   Just noticed the locating tabs on the Tidman...Nice.            Terry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2020, 11:21:04 AM »
I'm using 3/16" plate which has had 2hours in t'oven at 220 before I started. 

:thinking: I would have gone for red hot for bending. As there are only two pieces heating with a propane torch would seem ideal.

Personally I have a hydraulic press so don't have to abuse my bench vice for bending :paranoia:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 01:14:37 PM »
You should try it Jo only needs light pressure on my bench vicehandle to bend cold 5mm and the 3mm in the mill vice the weight of the handle is almost all that is needed as you are only making a series of very slight bends, it's not like trying to bend it 90deg.

Funny enough I first used this method as Malcom of MJ Eng suggests it in the Fowler building book and that was for the 3" engine which had 3/16" tyres same as being used here

It's not that hard to bend steel, there was a question on ME about bending some 3/4 x 1/8 at 20ishdeg and there were some most elaborate posts about heat treating, doing it red hot, making jigs, etc  that would have taken ages to type let along do I just went down to the shed and let the video do the talking.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pfHDXtICg8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pfHDXtICg8</a>
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 01:21:44 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 01:36:08 PM »
It's not that hard to bend steel, there was a question on ME about bending some 3/4 x 1/8 at 20ishdeg

Terry is looking for a gentle controlled curve in a piece of mild steel that is 40mm to 75mm wide and 4.76mm thick.

I remain a fan of doing such things on my hydraulic press. You can also straighten things with it like Scaffold poles  :)

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 03:28:42 PM »
I know he is Jo and that is what most of my last couple of posts have been about, showing first hand experience of how I easily bent a double curve on what are very similar parts, no need for a heat proof former to bend it over and very easy to control the bends. I also said that if available a press would be the best way.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
Jason,   Just noticed the locating tabs on the Tidman...Nice.            Terry

Yes I added those to my drawings before sending off to be laser cut. But even just cutting parts myself I like to have some way to locate the parts together as it's easy when trial fitting but also a big help when clamping up to weld or solder as things stay where they should and in the case of soldering particularly less clamps needed so less metal to take away the heat.

Only needs to be a simple slot milled to locate the edge of a mating part, for example on those standards I would mill say a 1/16" deep slot down the middle of the foot, curved plate and top trunk guide plate so all three line up. may also drill and tap the inside edge of the foot so the curved part can be screwed to that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal