Author Topic: upshur vertical overhead valve engine  (Read 2194 times)

Offline john g

upshur vertical overhead valve engine
« on: September 15, 2020, 12:04:20 AM »
building my first ic engine a upshur vertical overhead valve engine . would like to use a hall effect transistor & magnet . i want to use a "economy ignition package " from model-engine-ignition.com . has any one used this package on the upshur engine ? if so how did you mount it ? pictures and or drawings would be very helpfull . john

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: upshur vertical overhead valve engine
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 02:32:59 AM »
John,
Are you talking about the Upshur engine in Strictly IC issues 63 -66? I have built a modified version of that engine. My overhaul of this engine is at http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9589.0.html I personally
used S/S CDI ignition with points as a trigger switch. My engine while it was running in top form would do 7500 RPM and idle down to 450 RPM. I did use a HALL sensor and the same CDI ignition on a different engine. I mounted the magnet in an aluminum disc with a plastic cover with a slot for the Hall sensor in it. If you look at the photo in post 354 http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,3653.345.html you can see the hall sensor wire coming from the Delrin cap. Not sure I can help you beyond that. I know it will work but depending on how stock you want it to look you might have to be creative in your design. If you have more questions ask.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline john g

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 03:49:05 PM »
Art , thank you for responding ! i bought my plans online from the upshur estate . not the same engine as yours . on mine the cam only controls one valve . went to the site you suggested , i think one of there products will work for me . i just need to study it some more . thanks again . John

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 09:55:21 PM »
John,
It's probably the hit n miss one. Is it an open crank?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline john g

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 11:01:25 PM »
Art , yes it is . John

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 01:33:23 AM »
John,
You could call or email Roy at S/S tell him what you're trying to do and he could make good recommendations. He knows his stuff and has helped me out of a jam more than once.
Art

Offline john g

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 02:32:54 PM »
Art, thank you again ! i will do that . forums are a great resource , people like you giving time to help others . i built two clocks , one wooden ( been running for four years ) and a brass gear mantle clock , its been running since February , within one minute in seven days . didn't know a thing about them . bought a book by Steven G Conover "building an american clock movement " . the book had drawings and instructions on how to do it . even with the book i needed advice online  , as the book assumed the reader had a working knowledge of how a clock works ! i sure didn't !! im going to try and add a attachment , video of the clock . John  ps have to work on the attachment , dont have on my computer , on the phone .

Offline pmerritt

• Hartsville, Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 06:19:05 PM »
Hi John,

I built the same engine and have used an S/S CDI module and a Sage-Gedde module that I built. Both work fine. I made a starter hub and put the magnet in that and just glued the plastic hall sensor housing to the engine frame. I also built the horizontal engine with the hit & miss governor. I put the magnet in the cam gear. Adjusting the timing isn’t ideal in this setup as I didn’t make any design considerations to facilitate that. I originally used a disc on the crankshaft. Timing adjustments are easily made by rotating the disc. I can try to post some pictures later.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline john g

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 03:04:06 PM »
Peter, thanks for the reply. pictures would be greatly  appreciated ! i planed on mounting the magnet on the .625 dia. ignition cam . instead of a flat machined on it drill a hole to hold the magnet . i hope the .625 dia. will work for the timing . what do you think ? thanks again John 

Offline pmerritt

• Hartsville, Tennessee
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 12:00:05 AM »
Hi John,

This isn't the best picture but you can see the hall sensor is glued to the left side plate of the engine (I was especially lazy and used hot glue to see if it would work and its still there). There is a 1/8" magnet in the back of the starter hub. Using my S/S CDI ignition, everything seems to work ok. I simply rotate the starter hub to get the ignition to fire where I want it to. It also works with my homebuilt Sage/Gedde ignition module. I've also made a horizontal hit & miss version of this engine. I put a magnet in the cam gear and it also works well though as built, there is not a very effective way of changing the timing. I originally had the magnet in mounted to an adjustable disc on the crankshaft and had the hall sensor mounted to the side plate similar to the vertical version. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Peter

Offline john g

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 01:56:20 PM »
Peter, thanks for the picture (nice looking engine !). have a good idea how to mount it now. thanks John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal