Author Topic: Stress relieve or not...... that is my question.  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Trevorc

Stress relieve or not...... that is my question.
« on: September 14, 2020, 07:46:15 PM »
Hello
I am about to start machining  the crankshaft to the 1/4 scale Anzani aero engine. The drawing specify EN8 mild steel material which i could only get as 21/2 inch cold rolled round bar. Consequently i have had to remove a lot of metal  to make the blank shown in attached photo.
I have been warned that i may experience some distortion if the shaft during machining leading to possible scrap!!
Since i am having problems gaining access to a suitable furnace/kiln etc in which to so stress reliving i would like some advice  on the risks i run if i proceed without stress relieving.
I hate making scrap- it demoralises me!!
Thanks
Trevorc
PS having probs uploading photo! :facepalm:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Stress relieve or not...... that is my question.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 08:01:04 PM »
When I have done them starting with round stock I take a bit of one side then flip it over and take some off the other and keep doing that until down to rough thickness rather than take it all off one side first so in your case would work down to say 3/4" thick taking say 1/8" off each side at a time and then rough out by stitch drilling then leave for a couple of weeks to settle.

After that take it down to the sizes shown for the blank on the drawing and add the ctr holes, leave for a week or two.

Round off the shafts and pins to 0.050" oversize and let it sit again before final finish machining.

Always best to start with roughing out at the start of the build so you have other things to get on with.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 10:46:53 PM »
Doing as Jason suggests is the best way of dealing with Cold Rolled Steel but I'm afraid with any CRS there is always the inherent risk of slight distortion despite those precautions. The only way short of stress relieving is to try but do be prepared to possibly having to tweak it back into line at various points in the machining.

Good luck with it Trevor - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline john mills

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 11:11:41 PM »
hi

lots of steels will move after machining    i always try to take the same about off each side and must be very careful not to put any force on the material even the slightest it can spring a little .for a crank shaft roughing
then come back latter and re machine.I don't like bending as these strains can come back latter.
Even with stress relieving  movement can still happen .it is most important while machining don't have any
forces spring the material the siltiest bit.rough machine    even semi finish .then finally finish.
some pieces  won't move   but others will .
John

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 12:23:52 PM »
most of the stresses in cold rolled are concentrated on the out skin, get 50 or 100 thou in and most of it is gone.  When you do get banana like warping its usually because of taking it from one side, i.e. you've milled a piece on one side which has changed the equilibrium of materials' internal stress forces - the warping then can be quite dramatic. 

I'd think you'd have no issue with the crank however.  You are removing material equally and enough of it that the worse affected areas will be made into chips.  I'd do it between centres, and switch it end to end a few times to get where the dog was holding it.

For rectangular stuff, I do iterations of flips in the vise, one side then the other, without taping the work down (which will remove the banana shape until you release the vise again).  I've also stress relieved it in a controlled oven with ramp cycles which works, but takes more time and the resultant scale is somewhat of a pita.  You could also get 1144 "stressproof" which about the nicest material and ideal for a crank - much higher tensile strength than mild steel, free machining and minimal stresses
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:41:47 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline Trevorc

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 08:06:41 PM »
Many thanks for your advice. It seems that unwittingly i have done a few things right!
I have lost the outer 1/10 inch or so, i have machined down to flat slab by taking equal amounts from each side and allowed it to rest for a month or so, then surface ground last few thou of thickness, again rested, then carved out the basic blank and again rested. Today have found  that a friend has a furnace/oven which looks suitable so hopefully will be able to stress relieve as well so here is hoping that scrap box doesn't get more input!!
Have at last been able to upload photo of crank blank.
Best wishes, stay safe.
Trevorc

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 08:13:48 PM »
I've used this seller a few times, he does EN8 in black bar which should be a bit safer than bright if you need it again.

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Steel-City-Gav/Black-Round-EN8-/_i.html?_fsub=28911819017&_sid=1088308097&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal