Author Topic: Elmer's 43 "Build" Questions  (Read 19331 times)

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
Re: Elmer's 43 "Build" Questions
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2020, 09:05:07 PM »
No photos today. All I did was square and size (except length) the rectangular Steam Chest to get it ready to align in the 4 jaw chuck to do the two round ends.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2020, 11:24:51 PM »
Some progress today. Machined the aluminum Steam Chest in the lathe, including drilling the holes for the valve. Next step is to mill it out and drill the mounting holes, not necessarily in that order.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2020, 11:20:38 AM »
Nice - some great quality parts coming along. Another step forwards!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2020, 02:54:16 PM »
Thanks, Stuart. Not so sure about the quality; but, I hope it works well.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2020, 11:11:48 PM »
Finished the Steam Chest (except surface finish  ;D).

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2020, 07:20:21 PM »
Mounted the Steam Chest and plates to the cylinder block. Cleaned it it up on the mill. Now to make the valve, valve rod and nut.

Question: as to the valve, is the only critical dimension the fit between the valve and the valve plate? 

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2020, 08:22:22 PM »
That is one of the few items where you want it to be able to lift off the surface so not important but you do want a good smooth finish on both surfaces. The nut should not bind in the slot but have as little play as possible, make sure it is threaded squarely otherwise that can tilt the valve and stop it sitting down onto the ports face.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2020, 08:56:08 PM »
Thanks, Jason. Very helpful response.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2020, 10:18:02 PM »
A very little progress here. My 1st attempt at the valve rod resulted in messed up threads (3-48) because I did not thread it correctly. After the 1st attempt at the valve rod, I did some wood turning, and today, I am back at the valve rod. Properly threaded this time, and it is now ready for the square end and hole on the mill.

PS: Clarity of photos is still not good. Might start taking the photos with my phone next time.

Also, I don't have a die handle for this size die, so I just turned it very carefully by hand.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:21:37 PM by Bear »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2020, 12:25:49 AM »
Hi Bear

Looks like you are coming along nicely with your engine.
It appears for the most part that your camera is focusing on the background of your shots. Maybe if you didn't try to get so close you might have better luck. On almost all of the pictures that I use on the forum, I crop them to show only what I want. So if you back up a little and everything is in focus then you can crop out what you don't want to show.
I use a free program Ifran View that does a good job (for me anyway) of cropping and resizing pictures.

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2020, 12:31:20 AM »
Thanks, Dave.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2020, 02:59:43 AM »
I agree with Dave about your focus point. Maybe experiment with the various focus modes.

I use a tailstock die holder for threading rods. Huge help. This is the one I have:
https://godshallscustommachining.com/products/die-holder?_pos=1&_sid=74d459d86&_ss=r

Plus the correct shank for your tailstock. There are others out there as well.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2020, 04:48:06 AM »
Thanks, Jim. I was actually thinking of making a die holder.

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2020, 03:57:49 PM »
A very little progress here. My 1st attempt at the valve rod resulted in messed up threads (3-48) because I did not thread it correctly. After the 1st attempt at the valve rod, I did some wood turning, and today, I am back at the valve rod. Properly threaded this time, and it is now ready for the square end and hole on the mill.

PS: Clarity of photos is still not good. Might start taking the photos with my phone next time.

Also, I don't have a die handle for this size die, so I just turned it very carefully by hand.
Many cameras allow you to lock the focus by depressing the button part way. If yours allows this, try focusing on a larger object at the distance you want for shooting the part or whatever and locking. Now, move into the desired position for your shot and go for it. Good luck.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2020, 04:22:47 PM »
Thanks, Alan, Jim and Dave for the camera tips. I will see what I can do. Probably user error that can be remedied with all the tips I have received in this thread.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal