Author Topic: Elmer's 43 "Build" Questions  (Read 19337 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Elmer's 43 "Build" Questions
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2020, 07:57:33 AM »
I have never really seen any metric drill bits with 0.05 mm. 'resolution'  :thinking:

We used to use them all the time for Defence purposes. They were particularly nice as they were ground to the correct angle for the material they were using on the production line. I hate to think what they cost  ::)

:thinking: I should have tried scrounging the old ones as I seem to recall they were limited on how many holes they were allowed to drill before it was deemed the drill may not be accurate any longer.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2020, 09:22:21 AM »
I have never really seen any metric drill bits with 0.05 mm. 'resolution'  :thinking:

The common as muck ones are in 0.5 mm. steps and the finer steps are 0.1 mm. wich I would think would be close enough for Rock'n'Roll  :Lol:

Guhring appear to do drills by 0.01mm:

https://www.guhring.com/BrowseProducts/Products/High-Speed-Steel-Jobber-Length-HSS-HSCO-PM-Drills

From Cromwell / Zorro ??

Have to agree with your second sentence though ....  ;D

Dave

Link is a bit flaky ... Click 'Diameter mm' on the filter panel R.H. side to see all diameters.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 09:25:42 AM by Bluechip »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2020, 02:09:49 PM »
I've frequently used drills that are 1/64th larger than the reamer as a starting hole.  It may not be ideal, but it has worked for me.  I'd say you'll have no trouble with that in either aluminum or brass.

Others please feel free to correct me if you disagree.
Kim
1/64th smaller, I hope, not larger?

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2020, 03:22:08 PM »
Thank's for all the responses. I think I will try the 23/64 drill today.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2020, 01:05:22 AM »
Here is the progress so far. Did use the 23/64" drill, and then reamed with 3/8" reamer. I then drill the next hole which called for 3/16"; however, i have a #11 reamer and not a 3/16", so I made it slightly oversize (.191" vs .1875"). I next moved to the final hole for the reverse lever, and have stopped before center drilling. See photo.

The reason I have stopped is that the hole will be very close to the top of the stand. I don't know where I may have gone wrong. I measured and re-measured everything multiple times, and the hole seem to be in the right location. I can't figure out what I might be doing wrong. I'll have to think on it.

I wonder if moving the hole down slightly will affect anything other than the spacing on the lever itself. Comments would be welcome.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2020, 05:22:40 AM »
I've frequently used drills that are 1/64th larger than the reamer as a starting hole.  It may not be ideal, but it has worked for me.  I'd say you'll have no trouble with that in either aluminum or brass.

Others please feel free to correct me if you disagree.
Kim
1/64th smaller, I hope, not larger?

Oops, yeah, I meant smaller, of course!  Sorry if my slip steered anyone wrong there!  :embarassed:
Thanks for the catch, Chris!
Kim

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2020, 07:32:21 AM »
Does look like the overall length of the part should have been 2 3/8" not 2 5/16"

Yes you could move it down 1/16" and then make the radius of the slot in the lever 9/16" rather than 5/8"

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »
Thank's, Jason. I will go head and move the hole down 1/16".

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2020, 11:07:17 PM »
I completed the aluminum column today. In the picture, it is just resting on the base because I have not yet counter bored the holes in the base for the screws. Waiting for the screws to arrive. Also some pictures of cutting the angles of the column on the mill.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2020, 11:27:22 PM »
Coming along nicely!   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2020, 12:13:17 AM »
Thank you.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2020, 06:54:10 PM »
Wanting to make the main bearing now. The plans call for bronze. I don't have bronze (too expensive); but I have brass. I see that Jim (in his build thread for his #43 engine) used brass instead, not anticipating much use.

Jim, how's the brass holding up?  Any other comments on using brass or other metal, instead of bronze with a steel crankshaft are welcome.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2020, 09:00:24 PM »
While bronze might be better for wear, I'm sure brass will do just fine for your model and the amount of action it's likely to see.

I initially used brass anytime bronze was called for. But as I got more serious I have started to pick up some bronze here and there.  But you should be fine with brass as the bearings here.

Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2020, 09:15:04 PM »
I agree, brass will do just fine.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2020, 09:40:57 PM »
Thank's, Kim and crueby. I will proceed with the brass. In the meantime, I have rough cut (saw) the aluminum cylinder; and, I have rough cut (grinder) a piece of rectangular steel for the Tilting Guide. I am going to try using the rectangular piece, instead of a round piece, for less waste, and for what I think may be an easier milling set-up. I will just set it up in my 4 jaw, and then transfer the chuck directly to the mill on this Taig attachment https://taigtools.com/product/3-4-16-chuck-adapter/ .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal