Author Topic: Elmer's 43 "Build" Questions  (Read 19328 times)

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
Re: Elmer's 43 "Build" Questions
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2020, 10:09:51 PM »
I ended up drilling 2 of the 4 holes while the clamp was in place. The other 2 holes were inaccessible due to interference between the drill chuck and the clamp screw. In line with crueby's post, I threaded the 2 holes and held the plate down with screws (had to use both plates due to the length of the screws).

Finished this portion. Next is to make the Steam Chest.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2020, 01:42:42 AM »
I made the Cover, Steam Chest, Valve Plate and Cylinder the same exact dimensions. Then I drilled each one to the same exact required dimensions. Tapped the Cylinder. Then it was just a matter of bolting the sandwich together. No match drilling required.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2020, 01:47:20 AM »
Hello Bear,
I've been in the shadows observing your progress and like what I am seeing.  :popcorn: :popcorn:  It is always interesting watching a fellow bringing another model out of the barn and asking good questions. Continue on with your project and stay inquisitive, its healthy....

BC1
Jim

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2020, 03:15:16 AM »
Thanks, Bearcar1 Jim. I appreciate the kind words. Yes; being inquisitive is healthy by keeping the brain active with regular workouts  :).

Flyboy Jim, thanks for reminding me that I need to get the four 2-56 screws long enough to go through all 3 parts and thread into the cylinder.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2020, 02:16:47 PM »
The machining seems to be going well so permit me to address another issue.

I notice that many of your close-up photos are out of focus.  Depending on your camera, there are at least two ways to fix this...

Use the macro setting on the camera. 

Back off from the subject and use the telephoto capability to zoom in so the subject fits the frame.

To be realistic, the steam chest and cover would be secured with studs and nuts, not long bolts.  2-56 "all thread" is available from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Du-Bro-801-2-56-Threaded-6-Pack/dp/B0006O4HQS/ref=pd_lpo_21_t_0/137-0790995-9841221?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0006O4HQS&pd_rd_r=381c03f0-88f0-4b71-ace2-fa034ceac846&pd_rd_w=2k4qW&pd_rd_wg=TqZmo&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=XCK94Z6S13A83KHW52P5&psc=1&refRID=XCK94Z6S13A83KHW52P5

If you want the convenience of bolts you can Loctite nuts to lengths of this all thread.  Once in place it will look like a nut threaded onto a stud but can be unscrewed like a bolt.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2020, 03:12:48 PM »
Thanks, Marv.

As to the camera, I know what you are saying. I think that the focusing issue is recent, since  I  noticed that the shutter sound is not clicking as fast as it used to. I tried charging it, and it did not help. I am using the "close-up" setting, and have been. I will try different settings, and also try the zoom feature.

The all-thread idea is great; but, I think I can find the bolts locally and then cut down if necessary and then re-thread the cut area with my 2-56 die. Or, if the threaded portion of the bolts is long enough, I can make my own all-thread. If not, I will order from the link you generously provided.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #111 on: October 30, 2020, 03:42:40 PM »
It could be an autofocus problem.

When the shutter button is pressed half way, most cameras show a small square outline on the viewing screen to indicate what they are focusing on.  If that square isn't on the photo subject the resulting photo will be blurry. 

All cameras have some means of overcoming this...

Aim the camera at some object at the same distance as the intended subject and press the button halfway and hold.  Repoint the camera at the intended subject and press the button fully.

or

Manually move the square to be on the intended object (see manual for how to do that).

Lighting can sometimes affect the focus mechanism's performance.  Ensure that there is a lot of light on the subject.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #112 on: October 30, 2020, 04:00:30 PM »
Thanks, Marv for encouraging me to look into the focus issue. I think I fixed the camera issue, as I hope will be demonstrated by the attached photo. Somehow, the setting was moved from "Close Up" to "Manner/Museum".

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #113 on: October 30, 2020, 04:57:59 PM »
Thanks, Marv for encouraging me to look into the focus issue. I think I fixed the camera issue, as I hope will be demonstrated by the attached photo. Somehow, the setting was moved from "Close Up" to "Manner/Museum".

In my best Adam Savage voice:  Well, theerre's your problem.

What camera are you using?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #114 on: October 30, 2020, 08:19:58 PM »
That looks much better. Guess we have no manners in the museum.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #115 on: October 30, 2020, 09:05:07 PM »

It is an old inexpensive Kodak. I have enjoyed it over the years.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2020, 09:06:11 PM »
That looks much better. Guess we have no manners in the museum.

;D

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2020, 09:24:36 PM »

It is an old inexpensive Kodak. I have enjoyed it over the years.
So YOU are the one that bought one of our cameras!   :LittleDevil:   (I worked there for 30+ years, we invented the digital camera and did sell LOTS of digital cameras, but as a business line it never made any profit. Sold millions of inkjet printers, those lost money too. Sigh.  At least I got a pension out of it!  )

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2020, 09:45:13 PM »
I've never seen, much less held, a Kodak digital camera.  A bit of searching dredged up this...

https://mashable.com/2012/01/20/kodak-digital-missteps/

which helps to explain why they were unknowns to me.

Regardless, to paraphrase Henri Cartier-Bresson...  The best camera is the one you have with you when a photo opportunity presents itself.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2020, 10:06:25 PM »
Great summary Marv. We saw over and over again that the top brass ignored and under funded anything that was not film based, they had blinders from owning a huge cash cow for many decades. There was also a big chemical products division, profitable, that was spun off since it wasn't film. Same for Sterling Drug, which included tiny brands like Bayer, that they sold since they didn't know what to do with it.  Stupid, over and over...

Sorry for the diversion, back to the great build!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal