Engines > From Plans

Elmer's 43 "Build" Questions

(1/38) > >>

Bear:
Starting on my 2nd engine, Elmer's Horizontal Mill engine #43. My first was an oscillating engine.

However, I am off to a unique start  :-[. I drilled and countersunk 2 of the base holes for the cylinder. Still need to do the holes for the column. The point where I did not go in accordance with the plans was countersinking the wrong side of the base plate so that my engine will sit kind of backwards to the plans. See photo below.

I don't think this will cause any issues in the build (other than maybe confusing me when I look at the plans). The orientation will be similar to that of Elmer's # 33 Mill Engine. Anyone see any issues in proceeding in this manner?

crueby:
Been there, done that!

Reversing everything will work, but as you said will be confusing when reading the plans. Other options, will the bad countersinks be covered by other parts? If so, leave them. Or, drill them out larger and plug them, loctite in rod and redrill. Or use our old friend JB Weld to fill the countersinks and drill through the epoxy. Not that I have done any of those things. Um, today anyway!

Bear:
Good ideas. I did measure to see if I could just countersink from the other side; but, the depth of the holes relative to the thickness of the material is awfully close. Maybe, the disorientation would be a good learning experience  ;D.

Flyboy Jim:
I think that just for the sake of simplicity, I'd do what's necessary to get things set up as the plans call for........even if you remake the part. It's just a small piece of aluminum plate. Might save other problems later.

Jim

Bear:
Well, Jim and crueby, after thinking a bit more on your helpful posts, I went and did some measuring, and determined it will be an easy fix. The portion with the holes can be cut out to form the somewhat "L" shaped based, which I will do after I turn over the base and re-drill my holes, and then countersink from the other side. No one will ever know  ;D .

Thank's for the help, guys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version