Author Topic: Trevithick  (Read 27006 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Trevithick
« Reply #255 on: November 03, 2020, 01:32:10 AM »
No, the originals were multi spoked like the wheels on the Stephenson's Rocket. I decided to make them three "spoked" because I haven't done very much of this "window cutting"  and I needed the experience. The multi spoked wheels on the Rocket were made of steel so I could weld all of the spokes. These wheels are made from aluminum, and I don't have any experience welding aluminum.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2020, 09:49:49 PM »
And we spent a goodly portion of the day on my lathe, making shiny wheels. The two wheels on the right which have raised bosses on the face are the ones which the gears attach to. The wheels are finished now except for cutting the windows in tomorrow on my mill and rotary table.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #257 on: November 04, 2020, 09:56:07 PM »
That went well!!!  I still need to do a bit of hand filing, but very little. These four wheels are straight off the rotary table with no other work done on them. Putting in the windows was not difficult, but was time consuming.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #258 on: November 05, 2020, 09:52:09 PM »
I have reached the end. The engine runs very well, and is completely finished mechanically. I started this "design and build" on the last week of August, so it has been about a ten week job. My next step will be to paint the engine and then it goes up on the shelf with all of my other engines. Thank you very much to all of the people that had a look, and thank you for the comments that were made as I progressed with the build. I hope you enjoyed it.---Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDcE8Jfn2g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDcE8Jfn2g</a>

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #259 on: November 05, 2020, 10:56:23 PM »
Nice Job! Cant wait to see it in paint.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #260 on: November 06, 2020, 12:01:34 AM »
Very nice Brian
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #261 on: November 06, 2020, 03:02:55 AM »
Brian,
It looks great, runs great. Glad to have been along for the trip.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #262 on: November 12, 2020, 05:22:34 PM »
A stinky business!!!--Wish I could have done this painting a month ago when it was warmer outside. As things set, I open my big garage door, set out all the stuff to be spray painted, paint it, then move everything into my machine shop so it will dry enough for a second coat. This comes out to four trips into and out of the garage (2 coats on each side). My house smells like a body and paint shop. I am fortunate to have a very understanding wife!!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #263 on: November 14, 2020, 04:38:11 PM »
So, the Trevithick is completely finished. The painting was finished 3 days ago, and it was all reassembled this morning and posed for some "beauty shots". I had a few issues with this build which involved the cylinder and the 4 way valve, but in the end I used a more conventional slide valve and finished with a well running engine. Thanks for riding along with me, and saying 'Hi" once in a while. It is a very pretty engine, and now it will go up on my shelf to the place of honour along-side the Stephenson's Rocket.---Brian

Online tghs

« Reply #264 on: December 15, 2020, 11:27:38 AM »
this showed in my ebay searches,, https://www.ebay.com/i/324409970802?ul_noapp=true
what the @#&% over

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »
A big "Thank You" goes out to Rick in Sarasota Florida. Today, in my mail, I received a 3D "stamp" of the Trevithick engine. It's about 0.8" x 1.2" in Bas-relief. Rick said that he enjoyed following my Trevithick build on the forum, so he made the stamp for me.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #266 on: February 07, 2021, 03:35:26 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal