Author Topic: New lights in my shop  (Read 4663 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: New lights in my shop
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 05:10:26 PM »
The old Rochester Products auto parts plant here had that kind of floor, it was really soaked in oil/coolant from all the decades it was in use. Only problem was years after the plant was abandoned and it burned down, it was very hard for the firefighters to put out.

If the blocks go in dry and tight, and it gets soaked by a water based coolant, they swell....I've seen 40000 pound machines lifted over a foot off the floor, while the facilities guys slowly chop the floor out around them to lower the machine  "easy"......if they're soaked already or not very tight when they were laid down....not so much
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline awake

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 07:57:45 PM »
On the switch to LEDs - I've read that fluorescent lights start to lose brightness immediately upon installation, but LEDs do not. Can anyone confirm?
Andy

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 09:58:26 PM »
LEDs also loose their brightness over time but you are unlikely to notice it.

I have a sewing magnifier that is 15+ years old with LEDs in it that have reached the end of their life and failing (they normally start flashing before finally giving up) so I have been "oiking them out" and putting in new ones. The difference in brightness is remarkable.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal