Author Topic: New lights in my shop  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
New lights in my shop
« on: August 20, 2020, 06:25:26 PM »
I went to the DYI store yesterday and bought 8 LED light fixtures. I have 6 of them up the other two will have to wait until I move a bunch of stuff to get a ladder in place.
The clean end of the shop.......

The machines are starting on the right is a Jet 8x30 mill then a South Bend shaper in the corner. An Atlas shaper is on the floor. The green lathe on a trolly is a Saki ML360 and the tailstock and handwheels show on my South Bend heavy 10.

The not so clean end of the shop......

The lathe on the green base is a Gilman. In the back corner with the belt sander on a board on the ways is a very old 13" flat belt lathe. I have the counter shaft for the overhead but I have never hooked up the motor. The lathe on the gray base is a Levin that I have set up with a handwheel on the headstock for threading only.

Man what a difference with the lights!!!

Cheers Dan
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:32:29 PM by Dan Rowe »
ShaylocoDan

Offline Trevorc

Re: New lights in my shop
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 07:06:52 PM »
I also changed my workshop lighting from fluorescence tubes to LED. Total cost less than £80 from Screwfix but what a transformation, fantastic. Now have to do the adjacent garage. They were very easy to install and link together. But despite the improved lighting i still cant find the tiny screws when they are dropped on the floor!
Trevorc

Offline nj111

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 08:37:24 PM »
Done the same at my shop, amazed at the difference it makes. As we get older our eyes restrict the amount of light admitted, and the LED lighting upgrade is like a reset for that! I've no excuse for shoddy work now.
Nick

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 10:27:01 PM »
Nice looking shop Dan!    Watch out for that trip punch.  I know in Massachusetts they are outlawed....you can't even sell them.

Apparently they too easy to trip if the dog sticks at the flywheel.     That was from Brother's Machinery.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 10:28:07 PM »
2 of the new LED fixtures transformed my shop light wise.   I have 1 more to put up....but I need to tidy up and organize first after the upheaval.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 12:11:42 AM »
Dan,
Looks like a good project for shop self improvement. What is a trip punch and where is it in which photo? Curious minds want to know.  :shrug:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 12:20:50 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys, Art the punch is in the first photo on the floor just in front of the Atlas shaper. Dave thanks for the tip I use caution if I start using it.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 12:55:37 AM »
that sure is nice and bright.....thats a lot of nice stuff you've got stashed in there!

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »
I like the traditional end-grain block floor. What wood is it, and how thick?

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 03:22:12 PM »
Charles the floor is pine 4 x 4 that was cut 1.5" thick. The shop where I learned the trade had a wood block floor so I had to have one in my personal shop. All the 4 x 4 were the center of the tree. My wife and I sorted through the blocks and came up with several ink blot patterns that are in the floor.

Here is a photo of my model shop floor and the best critter that was too good to put in the floor.

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 03:27:10 PM »
thats a lot of nice stuff you've got stashed in there!

Thanks not all of it is in the photos but compared to your stash I am just getting started.  :Jester:

Cheers Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline FKreider

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 02:43:29 AM »
The wood block floor is very cool, I have heard it was/is fairly common in industry however the only place I have ever seen it in person was at the Caterpillar engine plant. Very neat!
-Frank K.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 04:09:15 PM »
Charles the floor is pine 4 x 4 that was cut 1.5" thick. The shop where I learned the trade had a wood block floor so I had to have one in my personal shop. All the 4 x 4 were the center of the tree. My wife and I sorted through the blocks and came up with several ink blot patterns that are in the floor.

Here is a photo of my model shop floor and the best critter that was too good to put in the floor.

Cheers Dan

Haven't seen parka shop floor since my days at Heald!!!    Don't spill any coolant!   LOL

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 04:23:34 PM »
The old Rochester Products auto parts plant here had that kind of floor, it was really soaked in oil/coolant from all the decades it was in use. Only problem was years after the plant was abandoned and it burned down, it was very hard for the firefighters to put out.

Offline Charles Lamont

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 05:06:29 PM »
I seem to remember that Myfords had to move out of their factory because either the insurer or fire safety person condemned the oil-soaked wooden flooring.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 05:10:26 PM »
The old Rochester Products auto parts plant here had that kind of floor, it was really soaked in oil/coolant from all the decades it was in use. Only problem was years after the plant was abandoned and it burned down, it was very hard for the firefighters to put out.

If the blocks go in dry and tight, and it gets soaked by a water based coolant, they swell....I've seen 40000 pound machines lifted over a foot off the floor, while the facilities guys slowly chop the floor out around them to lower the machine  "easy"......if they're soaked already or not very tight when they were laid down....not so much
Damned ijjit!

Offline awake

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 07:57:45 PM »
On the switch to LEDs - I've read that fluorescent lights start to lose brightness immediately upon installation, but LEDs do not. Can anyone confirm?
Andy

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 09:58:26 PM »
LEDs also loose their brightness over time but you are unlikely to notice it.

I have a sewing magnifier that is 15+ years old with LEDs in it that have reached the end of their life and failing (they normally start flashing before finally giving up) so I have been "oiking them out" and putting in new ones. The difference in brightness is remarkable.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal