Author Topic: Getting Ready for the MEM 2020 Show  (Read 17134 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Getting Ready for the MEM 2020 Show
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2020, 08:18:52 PM »
Italian Grinder

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2020, 08:21:57 PM »
BLT grinder.....often with cheese.....but not with me.

That's as close as we get to a BAP
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2020, 09:11:32 PM »
Basic buttie, white bread sliced buttered, with crispy bacon, whole slices not cut in half  :hellno:

People in the building trade have a nasty habit of putting tomato ketchup in them   :facepalm:

Show version is normally a cheap bap, with cheap bacon, rarely buttered:

Its probably these the trade's men need to put ketchup on to give it any flavour  :disappointed:

Those Grinders are what we know of as "Subs" and we have those for lunch.

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2020, 10:42:40 PM »
So, getting back to the topic, ( though the sandwiches do look tasty :cheers:) do we post to the thread now, and our posts don’t appear till the thread opens; or do we wait for the thread to open to post?
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2020, 12:36:10 AM »
So, getting back to the topic, ( though the sandwiches do look tasty :cheers:) do we post to the thread now, and our posts don’t appear till the thread opens; or do we wait for the thread to open to post?
Hey Craig....been thinking on that one....

One of the great things of a show is to get  to talk to pro and laymen alike, and talk about how things were made, the history of the model, ect ect.    that's something that I want to keep as part of a virtual show..    The simplest thing to do,   I think....feel free to tell me I'm nuts..... is to post to your build threads as you do normally, and provide a link to that as part of the show post.   some pictures and a link to the build thread. .  That way someone with some interest, can get into it ....maybe even join and ask more questions!....you never know

Now As you go,  If you want to.....post a link with the latest update on to this thread say once a week...so we have a running log.    That's just for us chickens, and may be redundant.     

At the "show"   you can post up your final pictures/video's  with a link back to the build thread.

Part of THIS thread is to talk about how to do one of these virtual shows, so we get the most out of it, and introduce this hobby to the lay person.   I've told people what I do in my shop, and they have a hard time even understanding how, let alone why in the world would you want to!....I think that comes from a lack of understanding of anything mechanical sorry to say.    I think this is a great opportunity to make an improvement in that arena.

Use your imagination.....how do you reach out to people at a virtual show?    I don't have an answer to that but I bet some of you will come up with one!!!

Tell us your thoughts HERE.    Lets all embrace the KISS principal....if possible as well.

Dave

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2020, 12:44:17 AM »
I'm thinking that for the 'show' I would line up my engines on the bench and make a video of them running like they would at a normal show, throw in some other pics and such.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2020, 01:41:33 AM »
That's what comes to mind with me too Crueby.   
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2020, 02:37:47 AM »
This past weekend, I was fixing my lawn mower....new carburator...but it wasn't a DEAD match...close...but not quite...I needed to make a gasket

My neighbor saw what I was doing and I told him I needed to make a gasket punch....hang on a minute....so i went into the shop.....grabbed a piece od stock...center drilled the end, and turned the OD to size....literally took about 2 minutes....and I came back out with a punch.....He was stunned!.....and I'm like.....so what...it's a punch...that's why I have tools!.....but he got a glimps of what having tools and knowing what to do  with them could do!.......it's moments like that that let you teach....that I enjoy...l....and I'm trying to figure out how to convey that at a virtual show.......

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2020, 02:46:25 AM »
Ok,
I came into this thinking I'd missed days of conversation, not. I had to look up all your British terms, Now if you had said something easy like queue, bonnet, boot, but Mr Whippy? Near as I can tell it's like getting a cone at Culver's, or better yet Michael's frozen Custard just to throw some local jargon into the mix. I have to admit with working 50 hour weeks and just having gotten my mill running I have had no urge to finish anything, like my Upshur. I could try to start Val though. Sounds fun!
Art
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:42:44 PM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2020, 03:16:56 AM »
Gotta make up table signs for the   "MEM 2020 'Whirled' Tour"

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2020, 04:47:52 PM »
Wow, neat idea.  I've been reduced to lurking in the forums since the lockdown began, as we had to go into high gear on an r+d project at work and I've had little spare time to devote to home projects that weren't deemed critical by She Who Must Be Obeyed.  The last part I made at home was some lathe-turned spacers to fix the loose toilet seats on the new loos we installed (well, I installed, but she supervised and directed).  But I might have time to fire up some of the old models, and would love to see what others have to show.  By late August or possibly September, I might even be able to start having enough free time to continue some of my engine projects. 

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2020, 08:24:55 PM »
Ok, so giving this some thought, and building on what has already been said; I think I’m going to treat the ‘virtual’ show just as if it were a ‘real’ show.

As Chris said, I’m going to set up an ‘exhibit’ much as I do when I attend a local show here In North Carolina.  Then I’m going to make a video and pretend that the camera is an interested individual who stopped by to look at my exhibit.  I’ll probably even answer some ‘virtual’ questions; the kind of questions I would normally field at a ‘real’ show.

I’ll post the video to YouTube and then make an entry in the Virtual show thread’ , providing links to the models that have build threads here on MEM.

Sound like a plan?
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2020, 08:45:49 PM »
That sounds awesome!     There are many many ways to do it....Craig has come up with one...feel free to copy that or do your own thing!..

The point of all this is to be A.    FUN,      B. educational.

What ever floats the boat....get on it!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2020, 02:56:44 PM »
I've tracked down my trestle table,  :thinking: best give it a bit of an oil before anyone see's it  ::) .

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline AVTUR

• West of England
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »
Can we show work in progress? Are outside interests welcome? My local model engineering show used to have heritage railway stands etc.

What I would like to see is an improvement in visitors standard of personnal hygene. All shows seem to have a minority of visitors that have not washed for days. I guess it allows them to get through the crowds.

Will the bacon butty van have mushrooms? They really do improve a bacon butty.

AVTUR
There is no such thing as a stupid question.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal