Author Topic: Getting Ready for the MEM 2020 Show  (Read 17131 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Getting Ready for the MEM 2020 Show
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2020, 07:38:18 AM »
We might want to start another thread on MEM Virtual Show outtakes. :Lol:

I say this because I was taking a video of my exhibit in preparation for the show and while I was talking, one of my Otto Langen engines stopped. :shrug:  That is kinda embarrassing while you're expounding all its virtues so while I was talking I reached out of frame and gave the flywheel a flip; hoping it would start again.  It didn't start but I did pinch my finger between the flywheel and the upper platform. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

The "show must go on" as they say so I continued with my banter, but I soon realized that as I touched different things I was leaving a smear of blood on everything I touched. :-[  (I know it sounds gory... but the review of the video was quite hilarious).

Sounds a bit like when I try to run my engines  :paranoia: But mine normally involves other people's thumbs  ::)

Hope your finger sorts itself out quickly so you can bring the engines/videos to the show  :)

Don't forget to make sure your compressor is running OK Jo, some of those engines will need a bit of puff.

It all depends what's available at the display location. Weather is not looking good this week so my number one choice will be inside rather than a Gazebo in the garden. But models come first and the last thing I want is a layer of rust all over them and someone coming round and squirting WD40 over everything, clearly they still don't know the stuff conducts electricity and shouldn't go anywhere near HT Electrics  :rant:

I might see if a running area is available on days when the weather is better.

Its always amazes me how much time it takes preparing for a show. Its ok for you guys who work for a living or are furloughed and have all the time in the world but have a thought for us old pensioners who never have any spare time  :(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2020, 07:45:21 AM »

Its always amazes me how much time it takes preparing for a show. Its ok for you guys who work for a living or are furloughed and have all the time in the world but have a thought for us old pensioners who never have any spare time  :(

Jo

This is the advantage of completely finishing an engine, I don't need to do any preparation to them apart from connect an air line as they are always ready to GO though a couple may need a slight dust.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2020, 08:10:37 AM »
This is the advantage of completely finishing an engine, I don't need to do any preparation to them apart from connect an air line as they are always ready to GO though a couple may need a slight dust.

All I am doing is checking them over, dusting them and giving them a squirt with new oil and replacing any missing nuts  :headscratch: . It always amazes me how many nuts loosen or go missing with an engine just sitting there.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2020, 10:13:17 AM »
Maybe you need some tighter nuts, loose or missing ones is not something my engines seem to suffer from.

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2020, 10:55:40 AM »
Humm, the phrase "Make sure your nuts are well screwed on" has all sorts of connotations about it..............

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2020, 11:05:51 AM »

Maybe you need some tighter nuts,

Can't speak for Jo of course Jason, but not for me thank you.

Limping enough as it is ....  :(   :old:

Dave

Offline RayW

« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2020, 05:54:18 PM »
There must be some sort of jinx on this show. I decided that I would get the Robinson X type going today so that I could take some video, as the only other time I tried to film the finished engine running, the camera only recorded about 10 seconds.
First of all, the burner jet was completely blocked and it took me ages to clear it, then I couldn't get the hot tube hot enough. When it was eventually glowing red, the engine stubbornly refused to even cough.
There seems to be very poor compression, so I will check for leaks, but I have also ordered some Viton O rings to replace the metal piston rings.

I have made a short video of my Otto build but don't really want to put it on YouTube if there is any other way of posting to  MEM directly. Can anyone advise please.
Ray

Offline awake

« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2020, 05:59:25 PM »
We might want to start another thread on MEM Virtual Show outtakes. :Lol:

I say this because I was taking a video of my exhibit in preparation for the show and while I was talking, one of my Otto Langen engines stopped. :shrug:  That is kinda embarrassing while you're expounding all its virtues so while I was talking I reached out of frame and gave the flywheel a flip; hoping it would start again.  It didn't start but I did pinch my finger between the flywheel and the upper platform. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

The "show must go on" as they say so I continued with my banter, but I soon realized that as I touched different things I was leaving a smear of blood on everything I touched. :-[  (I know it sounds gory... but the review of the video was quite hilarious).

It was time to stop the video, go in and get a band aid, wipe everything down, and start "take two".

In my experience, the machine gods require a periodic sacrifice of blood. Or at least, I seem to be in the habit of providing such ...
Andy

Offline awake

« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2020, 06:00:33 PM »
It always amazes me how many nuts loosen or go missing with an engine just sitting there.

This sort of thing drives me nuts ... :)
Andy

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2020, 07:45:13 PM »
Maybe you need some tighter nuts, loose or missing ones is not something my engines seem to suffer from.

Self loosening of Bolts and Nuts is a well known engineering phenomena and there are even test machines to check: - this is a Junker's Fastener Test machine demonstrating the problem  https://www.boltscience.com/images/junkervideo.mp4 If you have found a way of preventing it with out special fasteners or chemical lockers you could make a lot of money  ::)

I suspect that in models stored in the home suffer the fasteners loosening due to relative motion of the various parts caused by thermal expansion rather than by bending forces or by applied forces which are common in moving items. Once you get a relative movement between the fastener elements, you get this weird effect known as the Jost Effect which means the nuts tend to loosen even further  :Doh:

Jo

P.S. The Jost Effect is employed in that twisting motion you use to to get a difficult cork out of a wine bottle, as it slips easier once a rotational motion is also applied. :wine1: [ It is also used on floor polishing machines, which is why they are easier to move with the mop heads rotating than without]

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2020, 09:16:58 AM »
On all the ships I sailed on I can never remember a nut and bolt self loosening (and since then in my engineering life really), no locking devices or chemicals were used for the majority except those in an engine mostly when wire or split pins or perhaps spring washers were employed, the problem was more one of trying to undo the blessed things when the necessity rose!!  Mind you, the average nut and bolt used was considerably larger than that used on model engines and had been done up by rough-tough, rooting-tooting, deep-sea engineers............

That said, I now use lock nuts, spring washers and/or thread lock far more now if I am a wee bit concerned......

Chris

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2020, 11:35:10 AM »
Looks like it could be a wet weekend for the MEM 2020 virtual Show.  :ThumbsDown: :ThumbsDown: So I'm planning to hold my show indoors :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2020, 11:51:52 AM »
Showing dry for BOTH weekends here on the BBC weather site but that could change.

Was probably going to do mine inside too, suitably ventilated if I decide to run the IC engines.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2020, 12:01:18 PM »
Agreed looks like there could be stiff competition for the indoors tables  ;)

Edit: I'm ok, I don't know about you, I have nabbed mine  ;D

I am not sure if the trestle tables are strong enough, I'm off to discuss the possibilities of adding additional supports underneath  :paranoia: .

Warning I have been told blutack on the walls may not be allowed so don't forget to bring along other means if you want to put up any posters. (we have used bulldog clips on the tent liners before to hang poster off of   )

Jo
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:23:56 PM by Jo »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2020, 01:19:50 PM »
Table cloths, now that's posh.

Trestle table should be OK it's paste tables you have to be careful of.

I've plenty of nails and a big hammer so no problem if there is a bluetack ban

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal