Author Topic: Getting Ready for the MEM 2020 Show  (Read 17743 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Getting Ready for the MEM 2020 Show
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2020, 01:49:56 PM »
Jo you may need an extension to the show for the extra "uncompleted models" catagory  :stir:

I think that is an excellent idea. I am sure you will bring yours along as well  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2020, 01:53:08 PM »
Jo you may need an extension to the show for the extra "uncompleted models" catagory  :stir:

I think that is an excellent idea. I am sure you will bring yours along as well  :)

Jo
Yes, Surus needs to do a day showing all the castings in his vaults!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »
looking forwards to this !!!!

Willy

Online Twizseven

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2020, 08:58:55 PM »
Jason,
Does uncompleted models include models that will not start or run.  :stir:
Colin

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2020, 11:32:09 PM »
Jason,
Colin
Absolutely! Even casting sets, drawings of wanna-do projects, I'd say anything!   Well, maybe not some of those things floating around in CNR's head.   Or mine....  :paranoia:

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2020, 07:04:08 AM »
Jason,
Colin

Don't think the show can be extended for that long particularly if you also include unpainted in that :lolb:

Will there also be a garden produce table as that seems to be more productive for some :stir: :stir: :stir:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2020, 07:13:58 AM »
Surus is trying to use the excuse that he does not think my trestle table will take the weight of his casting sets  ::)

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2020, 08:43:57 AM »
Don't think you could get them all onto a single table even if it was strong enough

Offline bernienufc

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2020, 07:10:32 PM »
This could get complicated, with so much to learn and the list of exhibitions and tutorials growing i might need to use a weeks holiday to see them all, unless i am furloughed again and then i will here all day every day :-)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2020, 07:19:08 PM »
Something tells me my shop elves are preparing to go to the show..... Guess they missed the 'Virtual' part!   :Jester:   Or, they are just stealing my engines....   :hellno:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2020, 07:24:43 PM »
 :Lol: :Lol:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2020, 08:16:56 PM »
Jason,
Colin

I have a few of those myself...  :embarassed:  but then, let one sit long enough and it too will eventually fall in that category. :old:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2020, 07:18:56 AM »
I need to get around to sorting the models out....Maybe a good starting point would be a list of what could be shown on which days   :noidea:

Table space may be a problem: Why is it that there either seems to be too little or too much table space at a show  :headscratch:

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2020, 11:11:51 AM »
As for all shows I am busy checking over the engines before taking them along for display:

Currently I am looking at my Stuart No 9. I found that it had got rather stiff and am putting it down to the oil used to protect/lubricate it drying.
I also found a loose thread which means I will need to make a replacement part. I could possibly fill the hole with silver solder and re-tap it  :noidea:

Show preparation always seems to go on for weeks  :facepalm: I still have to check the trestle table...

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
What I thought was a damaged thread proved to be actually an intact 10BA thread which because it was so narrow was holding more in the tapered part of the thread cut with the die. I decided to replace the pivot bolt with one with a longer thread so I can provide extra support with a extra nut  :)

The other failure on this engine was it still did not have a governor drive belt. The first time I proved I had fitted the belt the wrong way round but even the right way round it doesn't drive the governor  :disappointed: While the Oring was grippy it kept falling off the bottom of the governor pulley, the second attempt at a belt was a Mamod drive belt and that stays on but isn't strong enough to drive the governor  :wallbang:

Four engines ready to show including my first engine who, like me, must be 21 years old  :mischief: I found a few features on her but the only thing that I am having to stop myself doing anything about is those horrible nipples in the middle of the bolt heads: Which proves they are an original Stuart bolt  ::) The patina on the brass goes against my better judgement but I will be here all year if I clean that up as well

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal