Author Topic: 3rd Generation Otto Langen  (Read 12705 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: 3rd Generation Otto Langen
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2020, 11:15:47 PM »
Mike
I was fortunate that I didn’t need a smooth, accurate surface; with the exception of about one inch at the very top which, theoretically will be a slip/light press fit to the liner.  This I did with a shorter boring bar so the stiffness would give me a smooth, accurate finish: which it did.  I need a good press fit at the bottom too, but that is with the base part; a separate part which I made up thread.  This column bolts to the base.

My goal was to remove enough material so that the liner would fit in this bore.  I was able to bore from both sides of this cylinder to the center, so the maximum distance was a tad under five inches in length.  For most of the work I found that 200 RPM and a feed rate of around .005 inches per revolution could remove 0.100 inches from the diameter and give me a good consistent cut. With higher speeds or feeds the boring bar just skated over the surface and would not make a cut.   

I used this extra-long boring bar for the final cut; eight inches in length; removing around 0.025 inches from the bore.  At my lathe’s slowest speed (70 RPM) and lowest feed rate (around 0.002 inches per revolution) I got a good consistent last pass, thought there was chatter and the surface is not as smooth as I’d like.  It was a matter of setting up the pass, starting the lathe, and then sitting by and reading a few chapters from my current novel while the lathe did its thing.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2020, 11:57:53 AM »
Hello Craig

I see what you mean :wallbang: 8 inches at a feed of 0.002 inches per rev at 70 RPM will need something like 57 minutes per pass. I hope you have an interesting novel to pass the time.
Have you tried using the razor sharp polished DCGT lathe tips to reduce chatter?  The **GT tips are polished to a very sharp edge but will chip easily, they are intended primarily, for use with aluminium and cut effortlessly and are less prone to chatter.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 03:23:06 AM »
Great tip Mike.  I'll have to get a few.  :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 07:17:41 PM »
Thanks for stopping by to see the latest…

I’ve been making lots more swarf these last two days, working the outside diameter of the column down to size and with a two degree taper.  I used the compound in the lathe for this work; and my compound has enough travel that I only needed to reset twice for the full 9 inch length of the column.  Below is a view as I just finish up the taper.

And finally a view of the column  mounted to the base.

Next I’ll need to do a little trim work on the honed cylinder, and then press it into this assembly.
Craig

Offline awake

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 07:36:14 PM »
Looking good!
Andy

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 12:48:32 AM »
Thanks for the comment Andy.  Also, thanks to those of you who just silently stop by to see the latest.

After finishing the column and base it was time to turn down the one end of the cylinder liner so it can be pressed into the base.  I’ll need to borrow the use of my friend’s hydraulic press to insert the liner into the column.  I might not need to oooomph of a hydraulic press, but my hand press isn’t tall enough to accomidate the height.  Below I have the cylinder liner on the lathe and am turning down the end in preparation for the press.

Temporarily setting the column aside; I’m moving on to forming the platform that sits above the column.  This is a 5 inch by 5 inch by 1 ¼ inch chunk of cast iron that I’ll use to form the platform.  The first task is to get it square and to the correct thickness.

Next I’ve located the center of the column and drilled a centering hole.  All measurements are taken from this place.  I’ve also drilled and tapped the ½ x 20 threaded hole in which to mount the governor.

Here I’m using my Volstro rotary milling head to place a relief on the governor mount.  Occasionally I commit a really stupid mistake and this one was failing to lock the vertical movement of the quill before I began milling the relief around the governor mount.  The weight of the milling head drew the quill down and the result was gouging out too much material.  I’m not proud of these stupid errors, but maybe those watching who have done likewise won’t feel so bad, knowing that someone else does them too.  I’m thinking a little JD weld filling, sanding, and then painting will hide this error pretty well.

Next I’m drilling most of the holes required in the platform.  I figured I might do this now, while the piece is still square and can be held securely in the mill vice.

Lastly today, I’ve formed some of the straight reliefs.  Tomorrow will start the turntable work in milling out the center and profiling the curved front surface.  I could use the Volstro for this too I suspect, but that’s a sizable thickness of cast iron (over ¾ inch) and the turntable is probably a better choice regarding rigidity.

Craig

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 12:44:36 PM »
I’m not proud of these stupid errors, but maybe those watching who have done likewise won’t feel so bad, knowing that someone else does them too.

I wouldn't trust anyone that claims to never make mistakes - we all do from time to time ...!

Nice work and interesting project  :ThumbsUp:       :popcorn:

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 10:49:16 PM »
Thanks for the note of encouragement Per; nice to know others are imperfect also. :embarassed:

Thanks also for those that take the time to stop by and see the goings-on.

Yesterday I pressed the cylinder liner into the column.  I failed to take a photo of the task but everything went as planned.

Getting caught up on my photos over the last few days…

Work continued on the platform.  Here I’m cutting the relief on the bottom side to accept the top of the column.

Still on the turntable, forming the curved front of the platform.

Here is a shot of the finished platform with the whooopsies  :hammerbash: filled with JB Weld.

Moving on to the uprights (the members that support the shaft, flywheel, and many mechanisms);  I started with this bar of cast iron.

And whittled out the main outer dimensions of the uprights and bearing caps.

Once the bearing caps were drilled and the uprights threaded, I bored the opening for the main bearings.

One of the things that appeals to me about these Victorian era engines is that they not only had to perform their function, but they were also made aesthetically pleasing.  Keeping this in mind, a little decoration was required on the uprights where the bearings are fastened.  I’m putting the Volstro rotary milling head to this task.

And here is a better look at the milling.

After a few more steps; the uprights were complete.

And finally a “mock-up’ of the platform and uprights sitting on the column.

Craig

Offline awake

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2020, 06:03:02 PM »
Looking good!  :ThumbsUp:
Andy

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2020, 10:32:05 PM »
Thanks for the complement Andy; thanks also for those just stopping by the see the progress.

I’ve spent the last two days turning a four inch diameter, five inch long piece of aluminum into the rack guide that sits atop the column.  Lots of whittling, removing more material than what was left.

I believe I’m reaching the end of making bar stock look like castings.  Most of the future work will be focused on the operating mechanism.

The sprag clutch is next on the agenda.

Here’s a view of the rack guide sitting atop the platform and column.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:20:55 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 12:25:39 AM »
That looks very nice Craig!

Dave

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2020, 09:21:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply Dave; thanks also for those of you stopping by to see the progress.

I know I said up thread that the clutch would be next; but upon further thought I realized I needed a shaft upon which to mount the clutch.  Therefore I decided to make the mainshaft.  Also, UPS is taking it's time delivering the material for the clutch so making the shaft was a no brain'er.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 01:02:07 AM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 09:19:53 PM »
Thanks for stopping by.

As promised up thread, I started on the clutch.  The first order of business was to face off the piece and then form the two shoulders as dictated by the drawing.

After turning the pierce around I faced it to the proper thickness.

Then I bored out the inside to accept the rotor.

Next I mounted the piece on the mill in preparation for drilling the mount holes and ramp start/termination holes.  A near catastrophe was averted when I realized that all my drawings for drilling the mount holes and forming the ramps were mirror images of the way the part could be easily held in my mill vice.

Rather than attempt to keep in mind that all my horizontal distances on the drawing were a mirror image of the milling I needed to do and would need to be transposed during the milling; I went back to Alibre and re-built all the drawings for this part so that the orientation of the part on the drawing and all the measurements were positives of the machining I would be doling.  This slowed me down a bit today, but better to simplify the task and get the machining right rather than ruin a part with several hours of time invested.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:06:56 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2020, 11:59:19 PM »
Thanks for stopping by, especially with so much goings on with the virtual show.  It’s a pleasure to see the diversity of fine model being exhibited.

Though I have spent some time on the virtual show thread, I HAD to get some shop time in today.  I thought I’d attempt to finish up the clutch body and in that, I was successful.

Here I’ve just finished drilling the six mounting holes and holes to define the six ramp start and ends.

Using the same setup I employed my rotary milling head to cut the ramps.  This is one area where the rotary milling head outshines a turntable.  Each ramp is an arc of a circle with the center of the arc offset from the center of the clutch body. Each of the six ramps has its own arc center location unique to it alone.

Using the rotary milling head I could set the X/Y of the mill table to the arc center, and then swing the arc through the specified number of degrees to cut the clutch ramp.

Here’s a view of the finished part.

I've also included the drawing I made to assist in cutting the ramps.  You can see the setup on the drawing for each ramp; the offset of the center of the arc, and the beginning and ending degrees of rotation.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:06:19 PM by Craig DeShong »
Craig

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2020, 10:17:12 PM »
I managed to tear myself away from the virtual show to get a little work done on the Otto Langen.  Today I addressed the main drive gear.

In the following photo I’m sizing the gear blank.

And then drilled and tapped the threads used to mount the gear to the clutch.

After making a fixture from aluminum that was used to hold the gear while the teeth were being cut, I mounted to gear blank on the dividing head on my mill and proceeded to cut the gear teeth.

Finally, I give you a photo of the completed spur gear.

Craig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal