Author Topic: Engineering in Miniature july 2003 Stothert & Pitt plans.  (Read 1843 times)

Offline geoff5269

Engineering in Miniature july 2003 Stothert & Pitt plans.
« on: July 14, 2020, 12:12:46 PM »
My latest project is the Stothert & Pitt Beam engine by Anthony Mount, I was going to by castings from Cotsworld Heritage but they seem to have gone out of business. so I decided to scratch build it and managed to find a set of Engineering in Miniature with all the parts except the last one in July 2003 vol25. I seem to have all I need and perhaps the final part is only painting and assembly, but I would like to know if anyone has time to look for me and then I know if it's worth tracking down a copy.
It's an interesting build so far I've managed the Entablature mouldings and the tapered columns and the capitals which looked tricky and the Beam with bearing which would have been castings but I've made them and am quite pleased.
Geoff

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Engineering in Miniature july 2003 Stothert & Pitt plans.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 12:25:58 PM »
The only useful bits in the last article is the writing on the plates and the instructions for setting it up, the rest is about fitting it in a display cabinet and painting it.

An observation: the original Stothert and Pitt Engine was mounted on concrete in all three of its locations  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

simplyloco

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 02:26:55 PM »
Gosh, your post brought back some great memories! I went on a tour of their Bath factory in the mid 60's when I was an apprentice at the Chepstow Army Apprentices College. What was fascinating was their early use of  CAD: 'Cardboard Aided Design' that is! Many of their templates for their huge dockside cranes were fabricated from sheets of cardboard.
A visit that I won't forget in a hurry!
John

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 05:38:58 PM »
Many thanks Jo, I thought you might know as I remember you making this engine,  as I thought not much useful info there so I won't have to track down that last copy.
Geoff

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal