Author Topic: Rays Latest Engine - AKA Alyn Foundry RLE  (Read 13868 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Rays Latest Engine - AKA Alyn Foundry RLE
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2020, 02:45:29 PM »
Must have been a bit behind the times in deepest Wales as even back in the early 90s we had stopped using the local dyeline shop and got our own Xerox to do copies of construction (building) drawings  ;) They certainly smelt a lot better :)

Though I think Graham likes the drawings he has been getting sent lately ;)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2020, 03:07:28 PM »
Thanks both.

:ThumbsUp:

The name might have been forgotten but that smell will never be!!

Offline RayW

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2020, 05:22:02 PM »
The governor mechanism is finally nearing completion. I just need to add some extension arms to the brass weights for the springs to attach to, and screw the bracket to the inside of the flywheel.
As per Graham's instructions, I machined the flywheel boss down to the spokes on the inside where the bracket attaches, and I am wondering if I need to machine the outside boss down as well to avoid interference with the springs. The alternative is long enough arms to clear the boss. Having looked at lots of RLE pictures on the internet, this seems to be one area that has led to numerous creative solutions.
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2020, 05:59:18 PM »
That's looking really nice Ray.   :ThumbsUp:

After building several engines experience showed that only one spring was necessary. I used to use a couple of small split pins pressed into the side of the weight on the underside ( opposite the keyway ) and the eyes held onto the spring loops.

Later engines that I built just had simple Brass rods with a pin sticking out !

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2020, 04:24:54 PM »
Finished the rocker arm today after some artistic filing! Now need to cut the pushrod to length, then see if everything operates correctly. Still lots of finishing off jobs to do, eg. Making oiler, drilling oil holes, fitting governor spring, fitting hopper, flywheel keys, etc, so plenty to keep me occupied during lockdown.
Ray

Offline RayW

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2020, 05:16:57 PM »
Still making steady progress. Got the first coat of high build primer on the flywheels and hopper today to prevent Graham's special coating gradually re-appearing in this damp miserable weather.
I haven't decided yet on the final colour. This will have to wait for now as the whole county of Kent is about to go back into the highest level Covid restrictions as soon as the current lockdown ends on 2nd December and all non-essential shops will be closed. Must have a look and see what paints I have lurking in the workshop cupboards.
Ray

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2020, 07:13:20 PM »
That's looking great Ray!

Dave

Offline RayW

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2021, 12:07:39 PM »
Painting and re-assembly are complete and the engine now wears its final coat of Mid Brunswick Green, with a red background to the brass nameplate. I would have liked to have highlighted the raised logo on each side of the hopper with a contrasting colour, but, unfortunately, the definition of the cast lettering is not sharp enough to make a decent job of it.
The main jobs left now are the fuel and ignition systems and a base. I am pleased to say that after dismantling and re-assembly, compression remains really good, so much so that it requires quite an effort to turn it over past compression, and has a really strong kickback.
Ray

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2021, 09:00:03 PM »
Great paint job - looks really authentic  :cheers:

Per

Offline RayW

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2021, 09:05:36 PM »
Thanks Per. Sorry for delay in replying. Got a few more details completed now, ie. exhaust, gas/air inlet valve, and drip oiler. The gas/air mixer is based on the one from the Sphinx engine, with five air holes and one gas hole entering through the valve seat. The spring loaded valve opens simultaneously with (or possible fractionally after) the one in the cylinder head.

This just leaves the ignition system to sort out now. I will probably set up a temporary arrangement with a trembler (buzz) coil just to get it running, then will probably buy a Minimag ignition unit. The brown disc that you can see on the crankshaft is made of Tufnol insulating material with a brass round headed screw locking it in position on the crankshaft. The head of this screw will act as the moving contact and there will be another fixed one mounted on the engine body.
Ray

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2021, 11:44:22 PM »
Everything is looking great Ray!

Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2021, 12:11:24 AM »
Seems very similar to a "Brownwall" engine over here.   in the 1.5 to 3.0 HP size.   

Nice looking engine Ray.....I will be following along.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2021, 03:21:10 AM »
Awesome looking engine Ray.... :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2021, 12:27:11 PM »
Dear Ray.

I've been bogged down by domesticity recently but have been following your progress with great interest.

Considering the fact that the castings you're working with were " rejected " for various reasons, what a superb job you have made. The colour you've chosen is a particular favourite, Mid Brunswick Green is of course a Lister trait and was sported on my vast collection of Petrol and Petrol/Paraffin engines. Now safely held at the Anson.

It won't be long before it runs for the first time, so make sure she's firmly anchored as they can be a little feisty, and sometimes the governor might be set outside of the range of control. Finger on the " kill " button.... :)

Oh, your little drip feed lubricator.... :cheers:

Looking forward to seeing the video.

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2021, 02:15:31 PM »
  :ThumbsUp:

I too am looking forward to the video.

Rod

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal