Author Topic: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine  (Read 29921 times)

Offline kvom

Re: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2022, 01:27:33 PM »
The sale price will likely get you at least 1 pound per hour of work, but the enjoyment of the build is what counts.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2022, 02:21:45 PM »
I don't think it sad that I sell my models: I have another life and the sale of my many models has enhanced and improved my 17 years of retirement - especially outside of the workshop!

We all need to have a life beyond making models  :ThumbsUp:

I know of a few people who converted their models into cash to fund "this or that" and after they left this world their children had none of their father's completed models to remember him by  :( Some have spent years trying to get "at least one" back and paid stupid money to achieve it  :toilet_claw:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2022, 03:26:42 PM »
On the other hand the relatives won't be left with the problem of disposing of things they have no knowledge of and quite possibly no interest in. ;)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2022, 03:32:52 PM »
The main problem is normally clearing the workshop and all the "come-in-handies"  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online simplyloco

« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2022, 03:39:01 PM »

We all need to have a life beyond making models  :ThumbsUp:

I know of a few people who converted their models into cash to fund "this or that" and after they left this world their children had none of their father's completed models to remember him by  :( Some have spent years trying to get "at least one" back and paid stupid money to achieve it  :toilet_claw:

Jo

I lost my only son to teenage suicide 32 years ago next month, so no heritage problem there, and my partner Jan's grandaughters aren't into model engineering, so out they go! (the models I mean!)

PS. The 99% finished Britannia is still on the sideboard and it will pay for my wake and then some! :whoohoo:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 03:47:10 PM by simplyloco »
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2022, 06:02:51 PM »
My Father only left one model, a wooden one of a farm cart, or hay wain or similar, exhibition quality - his first retirement project.  I would have treasured it, but the removal men saw to it that no-one would ever treasure it. 

Not the first one of his models to go that way either.  In a PoW camp in WW2 he made a model of his first ship, was in a glass case as I remembered it.  He managed to look after it all through a forced march through Germany at the war's end with no damage and then for years after.  It lasted until he moved house in 1976.......

Chris

Online simplyloco

« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2022, 07:15:25 PM »
Stop Press! I'm keeping the Beast!

SWMBO found me a place for it in my study by moving the printer off the bookcase and onto my desk.

My workshop is looking quite bare now!

Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2022, 08:40:16 PM »
That's grand! Satisfying to hold onto such an engine, and admire it for a while. You can sell it any time you like if you change your mind, but nice to hold it for a while and enjoy it.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online simplyloco

« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2022, 09:22:22 PM »

I've been off the air for a while with a serious vision problem (Wet AMD) which developed when we were caravanning recently in Spain, where I had to stay for two months while they looked after me. After three injections in my right eyeball I'm home now and getting used to the wavy lines in my vision, and I can see to use my machines!

I've been in the workshop getting my Stuart Major Beam to run on compressed air. I machined a 5mm wide keyway in the crankshaft, filed keyways in the flywheels, fitted gaskets everywhere, etc without experiencing serious vision problems, and it is all looking good.
Pictures soon...
John

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2022, 11:17:26 PM »
Wow, John, sorry to hear about your eye situation :(

Sound like they've got you fixed up and seeing well and that's good!  Hopefully, it won't flair up again.

Looking forward to the pictures!
Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #250 on: July 14, 2022, 11:24:46 AM »
Commiserations John - that must have been a nasty shock :o

I hope that you had a good Insurance too and that you not will get any relapses later in Life.

Best wishes

Per

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2022, 01:13:37 PM »
Very sorry to hear that - sounds like you're on the mend though - hopefully working in the shop provides therapy during recovery! All the best.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online simplyloco

« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2022, 07:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. My eyesight won't get any better, the treatment maintains the status quo. However, I'm still having fun!

The Beast is now running on compressed air. :whoohoo:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fIxShZSxKs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fIxShZSxKs</a>
#
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 08:00:43 PM by simplyloco »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #253 on: July 14, 2022, 10:51:28 PM »
That's running great!  Thanks for posing the video.  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Kim

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #254 on: July 14, 2022, 10:59:45 PM »
That is a great runner  :praise2:

Those small improvements are something you can take your time with, and just enjoy making them too  :cheers:

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal