Author Topic: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine  (Read 29461 times)

Offline simplyloco

Re: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2022, 07:58:08 PM »
Stuart Major Beam Completed!
First trial run after final assembly today. I'll do a proper video production tomorrow as it's going on ebay very soon at a Buy it Now price.
Anyone like to guess what that price will be????

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwAZpKgjBt8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwAZpKgjBt8</a>
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2022, 08:09:34 PM »
Anyone like to guess what that price will be????

More than I would be willing to pay  :lolb:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2022, 08:20:18 PM »
Post deleted
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:11:49 PM by simplyloco »
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Eng
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2022, 08:59:52 PM »
Great detail and a smooth slow runner. Outstanding work loco..  :Love:

:cheers:
Don

P. S. I really don’t think Jo meant to insult your work as she knows the price of these castings. No one here are tolerant of members being insulted or derated in any way especially Jo.

Offline simplyloco

Re: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Eng
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2022, 10:12:36 PM »
Great detail and a smooth slow runner. Outstanding work loco..  :Love:

:cheers:
Don

P. S. I really don’t think Jo meant to insult your work as she knows the price of these castings. No one here are tolerant of members being insulted or derated in any way especially Jo.

Thanks Don, I have deleted my post.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2022, 07:25:30 AM »
I think you could ask more for it if it were also shown running on at least air if not steam, the electric is a *nice feature for display but buyers will won't to know it will work as Mr Stuart intended.
Price wise it's what someone will pay on the day. You can always start high and adjust the price if no takers.

Like Jo I would not really want it as we both get our enjoyment from making (or fondling) them  but there are collectors out there that will be interested in a completed engine

*Also not sure if it is the music or the wine of the electric motor I can hear, that would put me off a bit, would rather have a slow chuff, chuff, chuff from the exhaust which would be all you would get from a full compressor tank.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 07:49:44 AM by Jasonb »

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2022, 08:32:13 AM »
I think you could ask more for it if it were also shown running on at least air if not steam, the electric is a *nice feature for display but buyers will won't to know it will work as Mr Stuart intended.
SNIP

Thanks for the input Jason. Steam is too messy but I'll connect the air!
Most helpful.
John

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2022, 10:08:50 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: even if you did not put the price up for an air running engine I'm sure you will get more interest from collectors.

After all who would want to buy a second hand car if you only saw it being turned over by the starter motor :(

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2022, 10:11:56 AM »
To expand on my previous comment: It is worth what ever you can get someone to pay for it. Rule of thumb is a finished model is worth more than the bare castings but this is not always true for some early models.

Like Jason, I value a set of castings higher than a finished model. To me a finished model is only an ornament. I normally will not provide storage  space for someone else's model - the one exception to this is the original Edgar Westbury model Heinrici I am the custodian of.

I still think it is sad having to sell ones models  :'(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2022, 10:39:29 AM »
I concur with Jo - very sad, wether it's having to or wanting to sell. 

Had I been good enough to make a model of that standard, or to any standard really, I would want to keep it, to enjoy looking at it in the future (and for visitors to hopefully admire it too) as a mark to the standard I had reached at that time and to think - I made that.

Each to their own,

Chris

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2022, 11:37:53 AM »
I didn’t realize it until recently, but there is quite a large amount of people who want the engines, but have no interest in building them. I have seen some quite ropey looking engines fetch good money - so one of this standard should fetch a very good price - especially if you can be patient and wait for the right person.

I joined another forum, which was a waste of my time as it turns out, because it turned out to be wholly populated by people who own and run these engines, but do not make them. So there’s a market out there.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #236 on: January 30, 2022, 12:04:01 PM »
Lovely runner!

The last one of those that I saw sell over here in Canada went for just under $3500.00 Canadian. It ran on air or steam, and I saw it on steam a couple of times. Very smooth and has been mentioned, the sound was just wonderful.
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #237 on: January 30, 2022, 12:39:09 PM »
Thank you for your varied and interesting opinions. I don't think it sad that I sell my models: I have another life and the sale of my many models has enhanced and improved my 17 years of retirement - especially outside of the workshop!

No, I don't think is sad to sell my models: the joy is in being able to build them to such a standard that people who can't, want to buy them. For example, the guy who paid £7995 last year for my Stirling Single put it on his side board to just admire it, as did the guy who bought the Stuart Sirius, just like the man who bought the Stuart Beam Diorama and the D10, plus many more...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 01:00:42 PM by simplyloco »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2022, 01:19:38 PM »
It's upto the individual in the end.

I've built a few on commission and although a couple I would have liked to keep I was OK with letting them go. It is certainly a way of financing other projects as what you get from the sale of one engine will probably pay for two or three more that could be keepers or sold on again. I don't think many of us would want to make a living out of it but it's one source of pocket money for materials and tools.

The big advantage of selling your models is you don't have to find somewhere to store them all or worry about the dust :)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2022, 01:25:48 PM »
Thank you for your varied and interesting opinions.  For example, the guy who paid £7995 last year for my Stirling Single put it on his side board to just admire it, as did the guy who bought the Stuart Sirius, just like the man who bought the Stuart Beam Diorama and the D10, plus many more...

I don’t think it’s sad either. It’s actually rather pleasing to know that there are people who will pay good money just to admire the engine AND the workmanship that went into it. I have seen some of those folks positively gush over acquiring a well made engine.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal