Author Topic: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine  (Read 29464 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2021, 07:42:02 PM »
Excellent  :praise2:  :praise2: There is so much detail. I am also a fan of filling buttons  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2021, 10:57:09 PM »
Excellent  :praise2:  :praise2: There is so much detail. I am also a fan of filling buttons  :wine1:

:cheers:
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2021, 11:30:16 PM »
That is very impressive hand/benchwork.  I would have probably drove myself crazy manually machining it from solid.  I’m definitely storing that away for future reference.  Well done.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2021, 04:42:02 PM »
Electric Drive Tryout

I've taken a break from making tiny bits and as I've received the 24T XL timing pulley and belt I am now looking at the drive mechanism. I'll machine out the centre ridge on the intermediate pulley so the belt sits correctly and creates a decent drive surface. !'ll probably get a shorter belt to reduce the visual impact of the pulley.
BTW I know the eccentric rod is too long and I'll fix it!
John

You tube video here:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKz7Ys2cHtw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKz7Ys2cHtw</a>
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:50:45 PM by simplyloco »
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2021, 04:54:37 PM »
Super! I'm with you - I could watch it all day. Lovely motion.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2021, 05:14:35 PM »
Beautiful!

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2021, 05:50:35 PM »
Plinth Skirting and Setting Up the Flywheel Bearing Support.

The plinth is designed to be easily detachable, so an accurate and secure location is needed. I've used 10mm hardwood mouldings, glued to the planks with impact adhesive. The tape protected my nice maple planks from the adhesive spray!

Looking fairly neat, but it will look better when I do the granite face work.

Now that the plinth is accurately positioned, I can set and install the outer bearing support. It is held down firmly by two CSK 2BA screws inserted underneath.

Even though it looked right, when bolted up it needed 0.5mm shims to maintain concentricity. No problem to fix, as I used two spacer strips inside the enclosure, and I'll just shave that amount off them and all will be sweetness and light!

Offline samc88

« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2021, 09:01:21 PM »
Nice work, the planking looks great

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2021, 04:55:11 PM »
Drive System now installed. I've now got no excuse not to finish all those fiddly bits!

Short video here:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D697WGohAxs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D697WGohAxs</a>

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2021, 05:21:08 PM »
Very nice system, and runs it at a good speed too.

Do you intend to ever run it on air?  Or is it only going to run with the electric motor?

Kim

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2021, 05:47:02 PM »
Very nice system, and runs it at a good speed too.

Do you intend to ever run it on air?  Or is it only going to run with the electric motor?

Kim

Hi Kim
I've engineered it to run on air: I fitted a Visconite piston ring to facilitate same. A club member suggested I get a sound module that goes 'chuff' in the right places...however, I'm happy just to watch it on electric power.
John

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2021, 06:14:54 PM »
I've given up on the fake quarried stone!

I couldn't get the effect I wanted so I've covered the plinth in some very thin maple veneer to give myself a nice virgin surface to work with.

I lightly sanded and oiled the rear panel and it doesn't look half bad! If I put some nice edging on it I might just run with it as it is...   :LittleDevil:
John

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2021, 06:15:42 PM »
Looks great - will make a very nice presentation for sure.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2021, 11:33:45 PM »
Yes, it's always disappointing when your plan doesn't pan out the way you'd pictured. But this is going to look great too!

Kim

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2021, 06:02:12 PM »
A Different Approach.

I tried, without success, to emulate Jason's method, but failed miserably. However, I got myself some textured paint spray, and gave that a go, using Jason's method with a coloured base coat and thin masking tape. I'm quite impressed with the results.

Ivory emulsion base coat with three very thin coats of the stuff otherwise it goes 'gloopy' and joins together!

Here are the test cards. My white 0.7mm POSCA pen is a bit thin for this job, but you get the idea! I prefer the ivory with white grouting to the white base coat with black grout (which is Mr. Taylor's original colour scheme).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal