Author Topic: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine  (Read 29495 times)

simplyloco

Re: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
If they were stained/oiled darker they would look good. The edges would need to be beveled a little to get a close fit.

Many thanks for your inputs. Agreed on the darker finish. Regarding the edges, I have a Proxxon FET saw, so I was able to bevel them at precisely 11 degrees during manufacture. Hopefully you won't see the join (honest!) O:-)
John

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:55:33 AM by simplyloco »

simplyloco

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2021, 03:54:04 PM »
I took the plunge!

Thin Balsa is the model engineer's friend. Superglued in two layers to bring it up level with the ribs.

As you can see, it made a very nice base for the hardwood planks.

A big, new LARGE file brought everything level pretty quickly!

Some sanding time later...

A tryout with stainless bands. The virgin Maple is a bit too bright methinks.

Mahogany stain is better, but I'm still undecided about the colour. I tried a Dark Oak first of all, but it looked terrible!  I'm tempted to paint it black and keep the bright bands!

simplyloco

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »
I finished the lagging and oiled the wood but painting the bands is still under discussion!

The valve chest cover and the flange on the cylinder looked a bit bulky, even though they had been machined. On checking the drawing the cover needed 2 mm taken off, and the cylinder flange still needs 3.5 mm removed! The castings' dimensions are not up to normal Stuart standards so who knows where they came from...

The bronze boss was left on for a reason: grip it in the tailstock chuck and tighten the chuck jaws around it!

It was only 0.5mm out but I had to clock it!

There was 0.75mm variation in the thickness!

Turned around and gripped on the boss. Took off nearly 2mm!

Cover and chest now to size but you can see the fatness of the cylinder flange. I'll machine it off tomorrow.

simplyloco

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2021, 06:59:32 PM »
I remember reading on this forum that it was impossible to fit the valve rod without drilling a hole in the base of the steam chest to insert the thing, which required a plug. As I had to make a new steam chest I made a screw-in boss which makes it easy. The home made slide valve sits well in there too!

I have to make some standoff washers the same size as the home made nuts otherwise the paint will be damaged. I'll finish this cylinder sometime soon!!!

It's all coming along nicely.

simplyloco

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »
Valve Hand Lever

Looking at other people's examples of this awkward little piece led me to consider fabricating it. Here is the story.

I made the wiggly bit first, utilising an extension piece supported by my home made low profile revolving centre.

Then I made the shank from 1/8" plate,turned the bit with a hole in it and filed the keyway. There is silver solder paste at the joint.
Yes, I know now that the keyway is in the wrong place!

Silver solder paste costs more than gold, but it's worth it!

There's a spigot on the handle base which I used to locate the handle when soldering it on. I'm very please with it. If anyone says they heard it was made from solid like everybody else does I'll tell them it's a complete fabrication! :cheers:

simplyloco

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2021, 02:02:28 PM »
More Fabricated Bits!

Actuator Arms and Valve Motion Links, all connected with Cupalloy silver solder paste.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2021, 10:21:08 PM »
Very nice work  :ThumbsUp:

If you still thinks the colour of the wood is too light - how about soaking it in old used motor oil ?

Best wishes

Per

Offline SkyArcher

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2021, 12:39:03 AM »
More Fabricated Bits!

Actuator Arms and Valve Motion Links, all connected with Cupalloy silver solder paste.

Thanks for showing your work.  I was hung up on making my links and you gave me an idea on fabricating my links. :ThumbsUp:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2021, 01:54:21 AM »
Hi Looking good.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Willy

simplyloco

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2021, 08:14:21 PM »
Valve Crosshead Rod

Once again, I took the fabrication route as this is a horrid little piece to make from solid! I decided that I didn't have to copy the drawing, opting for a tapered cross head profile, incorporating threaded end caps so that I didn't have to slice the bronze bearings. I'm quite happy with the result. I have to solder the centre piece on tomorrow and polish it to the usual standard!
John

Bronze bushes pressed in and fitting nicely! I turned the taper profile afterwards.

The width had to be 2.5". Close enough...

I can live with this!

simplyloco

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2021, 06:19:47 PM »
I do like a bit of spit and polish! Soft soldered on and the tiny gap has filled nicely.

Big nuts or small nuts? Which is nicer? I'm leaning towards small nuts...  ;)

simplyloco

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2021, 05:22:28 PM »
Valve Shaft Bearings

Not difficult, but it turned into a tricky little job as the original owner had played with the castings to their detriment!  Off centre holes and faces, and worst of all, he had part drilled the bearing holes before slicing! Consequently I couldn't just mount them in a four jaw and resorted to the FB2 Milling Machine.

You can see the part drilled hole in the LH casting. This meant it was impossible to drill and ream an accurately placed hole in the normal way. To get over this I plunged a 5mm 3 flute end mill through the casting, and followed up with a 5.5mm reamer. It worked!

Now we are getting somewhere! I now have to pretty up the bearings, make the oil cups, and fix the bearings onto the base plate. BTW the slotted screws are only temporary...

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2021, 07:05:33 PM »
At the rate you're going you may finish your Major sooner than I complete mine.
Stating that the slotted screws are temporary is necessary, otherwise you might be criticised ..... :LittleDevil: :popcorn:

Andy

simplyloco

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2021, 07:55:16 PM »
At the rate you're going you may finish your Major sooner than I complete mine.
Stating that the slotted screws are temporary is necessary, otherwise you might be criticised ..... :LittleDevil: :popcorn:

Andy

Hi Andy, good to hear from you. I can't help but work fast, it comes from my time looking after a sub-contract machine shop, where time really was money!
I take your point about the slotted screws, but I always ask the rivet counters "How did you do yours..."
You haven't commented on my fabrication methods, I'd be interested in your views. Is it heresy or what?  :stir:
Regards
John

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2021, 10:12:09 PM »
Well John it’s your engine to build as you wish, 'each to his own'.
The Major is my largest model engineering project, I’m not in a hurry to complete it, started mine six years ago!
I usually enjoy taking on the challenge of making the parts as drawn, even though some failed and had to be made twice. The parts you have made look to be effective and nicely finished so that’s ok.
As I am self-taught not a professional engineer like yourself I wouldn't dream of passing judgement on other members methods. 
I find the MEM community is where I pick up so much good practice, advice and encouragement.

Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal