Author Topic: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine  (Read 29464 times)

simplyloco

Re: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2020, 09:18:59 PM »
I've changed my mind!

This afternoon's job was to finish the column. I was going to paint it, but the casting quality is excellent, and looking at the examples that people seem to admire most it looks like I'm polishing it and painting the contrasting bits 2k Satin Black.

The column top was oversize by 2.5mm on one side, causing the entablature to extend beyond its support strut alignment position. As I said it's a right dog's breakfast...

Successive filing, some emery cloth and finally some Solvol Autosol. On reflection - pun intended- it could be stainless steel!

Supporting the column end with a 8mm drill bit to get it level. The EMCO V10P table isn't the biggest but I can usually get away with it!

I now have to trim the entablature to size, both in thickness and width, but at least it is in the right place now. However, the supplied strut is too short so I need to make a better one! I have to do something with the cylinder cap as well!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 09:25:46 PM by simplyloco »

Offline samc88

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2020, 09:43:01 PM »
Beautiful finish on that column

simplyloco

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2020, 02:57:28 PM »
Cylinder Cap and Gland

This item was in a pretty sorry state: no attempt had been made to profile the neck, and the gland seats were missing in both bits! The cylinder rim needed reprofiling: you can see the problem!

Getting in there to do the neck was a bit tricky, but my recently discovered profile tool made it a lot easier, moving the tool post around to accommodate the cuts. I had to grind some relief on the LHS of the tool, and nearly went too far as it is s**t metal...

This what it now looks like. There are a couple of tiny inclusion marks but some people need little things to pick at!  :stickpoke:
Very happy so far.  :Love:

On the beast, showing off the reprofiled cylinder rim.

simplyloco

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2020, 02:58:31 PM »
Entablature is much worse than I thought!

Over width, over height, too thick on one side - beam gap is 25 thou undersize-  and very uneven casting lines.

Clamped directly to the table, machined evenly both sides.

Clamped to the table for the height adjustment on both sides. My vice jaws wouldn't open enough!

Leaving the machine settings as they are and moved the clamps. No lumps!

Much better, but I might machine the casting line nearer the join. The cylinder fettled up nicely too!

simplyloco

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2020, 05:14:47 PM »
2k Satin Black Tryout

Well, I used the hemi carbide 1/4" cutter to clean up the errant casting lines, and it seems to have worked OK. Etch primer and three coats of 2k satin black. It's a bit shiny for my taste, and I might do another well thinned coat to reduce the gloss, but I'm tempted to declare it's a 'Major' improvement over what went before!  :)
John

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2020, 09:51:23 PM »
Looks very nice!
I like the satin black.

Dave

simplyloco

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2020, 10:35:11 PM »
 Hi Dave, and a Happy New Year to you! I'm warming to the colour!

Offline samc88

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2020, 11:50:22 PM »
The black goes really well with the polished parts

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

simplyloco

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 09:09:44 AM »
Thanks for your kind comments, they keep the motivation coming! I see from your avatar that you are a Landy fan. I bought my Mk3 SWB County when I was working in Qatar, and had it shipped home. Sadly it had to go eventually when I needed the money!

simplyloco

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
Painting the Baseplate

This baseplate looked like it had never been fettled before painting.  I spent the afternoon improving the baseplate, hopefully as the following pictures will prove! I'll put on the topcoat tomorrow and then I can get on with the fun bits!

Restored all round and all over with a bastard file and the delta power worker.

Cleaned up with wire brush, gunwash and a dry rag!

Crisp edges and flat surfaces. Well pleased!

I missed the flash in the LHS of the crank well aperture!  >:(

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2020, 12:25:05 AM »
Much better! :ThumbsUp:

Dave

simplyloco

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2020, 11:19:00 PM »
To lag or not to lag, that is the question!

Some tryout pics for you, using 1/8" thick maple battens made on my FET saw.  I was thinking of securing them with stainless bands to match the brightwork. I am still undecided...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2020, 11:49:00 PM »
If they were stained/oiled darker they would look good. The edges would need to be beveled a little to get a close fit.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2020, 11:56:35 PM »
If it were a vote, I would agree the stained/oiled wooden slats would add a prototypical vista......taking it one step further, you could consider adding 3 x horizontal bands of 1/8" cork to the as cast in reduced diameters of the cylinder OD.......

:noidea: ......a 12" [300 mm] square self-adhesive cork floor tile would be idea...and also provide a sound gluing surface for the wooden slat to cork interface

Looking forward to progress in 2021

Derek  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:59:56 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2020, 02:48:16 AM »
Hi You could profile the individual strips by using a scratch plate or a Vernier to give a bit more interest..this is on an Easton and Anderson engine....

Willy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal