Author Topic: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine  (Read 29468 times)

simplyloco

Re: Yet Another Stuart Major Beam Engine
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2021, 10:45:19 PM »
SNIP
I find the MEM community is where I pick up so much good practice, advice and encouragement.

Andy

Hi Andy. Even though I'm a time served Fitter/Machinist it doesn't make me a good model engineer. Like you, I've learnt a great deal from following ME forums!
John

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2021, 10:38:55 AM »
John, I couldn't agree more. I too am time served but that was 55 ish years ago. This forum is where I find out how to sort model engineering.          Terry

simplyloco

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2021, 05:33:40 PM »
Valve Chest Cover Beautification

This cover is held on by six huge 4BA studs, and to me it is as ugly as sin! I determined to rectify this, and I spent this afternoon making a 1.6mm thick pierced steel plate, tapped for 20 x M2.5 stainless steel studs. This will be attached to the valve chest cover using four of the M2.5 studs, the cover underneath being held on with six countersunk 4BA screws instead of studs and nuts.
It is just an experiment, but it has to be an improvement!

A better idea of scale. I'm thinking of chemically blacking it and the nuts, leaving the stainless studs bright. I have to say I like it very much!

simplyloco

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2021, 07:20:48 PM »
Valve Chest Cover is Now a Little Prettier!

I know that some people will hate this approach, but I love it. The Victorians were very good at what we now call 'Bling'.😱
I blacked the nuts, it's proper cosmetics for blokes!
I haven't bolted it on yet, but I will tomorrow

The cover plate is held on to the original cover in four places. You can see the studs that will be used.

All the nuts and studs fitted, including the steam inlet flange.

Victorian Bling methinks!  :D I'll put it together tomorrow and see what it looks like :)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2021, 07:21:58 PM »
Nice 'Vling'!  How did you do the blackening?

simplyloco

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2021, 08:23:49 PM »
Nice 'Vling'!  How did you do the blackening?

Hello, and thanks for your post. I have a blackening kit from Polly Models in the UK. A four stage cold process which only takes about five minutes if you productionise it! It seems to resist corrosion too, unlike some.
John
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:26:52 PM by simplyloco »

simplyloco

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2021, 07:29:25 PM »
I couldn't resist a tryout!

My Choice of Piston Rings.

I see much wailing and gnashing of teeth over the choice of piston ring material: Cast iron, PTFE, Fluorosint etc..
I intend to build this to be run by an electric motor, but with the option of running it on compressed air. Steam is OK on locomotive tracks, but it is hot, smelly and makes an awful mess on the mantlepiece...  :Mad:

I'm no expert on bearings, but Visconite is a self lubricating plastic bearing material which is used for low speed/temperature applications such as marine prop shafts. It also doesn't expand much in the presence of water, and most handy of all, it doesn't go rusty, so this is what I'm using in my engine, mainly because I just happen to have a lump of it in the drawer!

It's lovely stuff to machine, leaving a silky smooth finish.

Scarfed joint made with a thin saw blade. It fits just fine in the cylinder!

Tomorrow should see the cylinder group completed!
Beam or flywheel next?
John
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:03:58 PM by simplyloco »

simplyloco

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2021, 05:37:26 PM »
It's been a busy couple of days!

Buying a part built is always a gamble, and this one was no exception. Careful examination is a must! Today I cleaned up a pile of bits, made some 2BA studs and locknuts for the crankshaft bearing blocks, machined the crankshaft and was thus able to do a trial assembly. The green painted bits have not been touched yet, apart from some rust removal, and the difference in the finish is profound and I can't wait to apply some decent paint!
There are still some glaring errors, and the parallel links will be time consuming, but I should be finished by the Summer Holidays!

simplyloco

« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2021, 07:47:43 PM »
Eccentric and Valve Rod.

Not a lot going on lately as we have had two recent Covid tragedies in our close family. However, I got into the workshop today and worked on the eccentric and the drive rod. I did something about the eccentric: I cut off the offending bit and silver soldered another piece on to it! The eccentric body was 1/8" too fat so had to be machined down, and the bronze casting finish was 'orrible...

Once again,  I refused to make this out the solid! Three pieces silver soldered together. I also dumped the slotted design and used a threaded bearing end cap, as with the other actuator bits.

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2021, 10:39:32 PM »
Hello again. I left the forum a little while ago as I, like others who have recently expressed a similar opinion, felt that I was posting my build progress into thin air. However, this forum is valuable and should be encouraged, so I've rejoined and here are some recent progress pics. I'm basically copying the format of the Taylor build from 1968. With some improvements... :whoohoo:

This one 'ere!

Steam valve plumbed in.

Conrod waiting for split bearings.

Machining the fake grouting on the plinth. It will be dusted with silver sand and painted white (ish).

Maple planked floor.

Starting to look like it's nearly finished!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 11:05:48 PM by simplyloco »
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2021, 11:27:45 PM »
Wow!  Glad you've chosen to post your progress on this engine again!  You've made some good progress and it's very interesting to see how you've done the brickwork for the plinth. Can't wait to see it all painted!   :popcorn:

Kim

Offline samc88

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2021, 08:19:16 AM »
Very nice, I've been following along on facebook in the stuart group

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2021, 08:25:44 AM »
Very nice, I've been following along on facebook in the stuart group

Good morning and thanks for the feedback! May I ask your username?
John
Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” ― Socrates

Offline simplyloco

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2021, 05:24:55 PM »
The Governor! Part 'A'
Once again, I'm not partial to machining things from solid when I can make -I think- a neater job by fabricating it. This part is specified mild steel but I'm making it out of brass as I like a bit of 'bling'!

Part on a stick. I slotted the end 3/16 wide and 1/4" deep.

Turned the basic shape. I found out later that I should have used 7/16" bar and not 3/8"...

Another part on a stick, drilled and slotted.

Solder paint job. I put the piece back in the lathe and drilled and reamed the additional piece. It is very slightly off centre but it looks OK on the machine!

It needs a polish, but it will do...  O:-)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2021, 06:37:28 PM »
I agree!  It looks very nice on the engine :ThumbsUp:
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal