Author Topic: Chris's Mann Wagon Build  (Read 130073 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Chris's Mann Wagon Build
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2020, 08:00:12 PM »
Yet another splendid build I will probably struggle to keep up with  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 07:13:51 PM »
Today started in on the ribs that will be inside the boiler where the studs for the engine mounting plate will be - could also have made a dozen threaded bushings, figured this would strengthen the area around the steam dome hole better. Started with some phosphor bronze rods, one squared up for the lengthwise ribs:

and the other for the curved ribs that run crosswise:

Blanks ready for further shaping. The tall ones will be milled to an arch to fit the curve of the boiler shell. All will have relief notches to prevent bubbles being trapped outside the ribs.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 09:28:20 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 09:56:19 PM »
Damn Dog your sure your not a robot. Come on boy no break no time off. Where you get your energy from chocolate chip cookies? You drove off the bridge into another project without even a snooze. Well I guess li’ ll follows long to see another great project........ :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 10:19:19 PM »
Thanks again guys! Yes, think I am powered by chocolate chip cookies, also haddock... Yum.  Now back out on the porch for a read....   :cheers:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 10:33:24 PM »
We need to keep an eye on this Chris.  >:(
My conspiracy theory is that he's building an empire using elves.
Think about it...the Wagon, the Lombard, a steam shovel, an excavator...not to mention subs of various types.
I myself have been invaded twice by his minions though I managed to repel them.
(His elves aren't the most loyal though...make a better cookie and they will turn.)  ;D

Yeah Chris. I'm watching you.
And your cohorts on the forum as well.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 11:23:28 PM »
We need to keep an eye on this Chris.  >:(
My conspiracy theory is that he's building an empire using elves.
Think about it...the Wagon, the Lombard, a steam shovel, an excavator...not to mention subs of various types.
I myself have been invaded twice by his minions though I managed to repel them.
(His elves aren't the most loyal though...make a better cookie and they will turn.)  ;D

Yeah Chris. I'm watching you.
And your cohorts on the forum as well.
He's on to us guys...  Better send in the ninja shop gnomes to steal his jug of Stinking Hoppies....   :ROFL:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 12:23:59 AM »
Chris--I follow your builds. You do great work and post informative information about them. Every day I tune in to see what you have accomplished.--Good stuff!!!---Brian

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 04:12:50 PM »
At this rate “Will Da Beast” is going to have a wide selection of vehicles to ride in. 

Hoo boy, yet another Chris project while I slowly and methodically plod along with the one of mine.  :Lol:

Crank up the pop corn popper  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: and st back, we’re going to be treated to another magnificent ‘Chris’ project.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 06:00:23 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 06:11:05 PM »
Took the bronze rectangles milled from the round bar yesterday, and clamped them to the tooling plate on the rotary table, with a couple layers of card stock between the part and the table so I could cut all the way through but not harm the table. A couple of trials, and got the distance right to mill the outside edge to match the inside of the boiler shell:

No easy way to measure that distance, so I just moved the table over to the left after cuts and held the boiler tube to the part, to see if the center or ends was touching first, and adjust accordingly.
Then, with the outside edge cut, one at a time moved the clamps to the outside, keeping the part in its position, and milled the arc on the inside edge. That edge is not critical, but wanted it to be concentric.

Here is the first part held into the middle of the boiler tube to show how it will sit.

The parts so far - the straight bars will be screwed to the curved ones with a small brass screw to hold for silver soldering, and the assembly held to the boiler shell. All four bars are a little long, so they need to be trimmed first. They also need to have some notches cut in so that steam can rise up the boiler shell to the center without being restricted by these bars.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 06:14:55 PM »
Whoops - missed a photo - yesterday had turned/threaded the bushings for the frame mounts and the water fill/blowdown holes. The frame mount bushings are blind, the holes dont go all the way through. They will get threaded studs that the rear frame and the cab mounting rails will bolt to.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 11:13:14 PM »
Got the engine plate inner ribs trimmed and assembled,

then used some small c-clamps (can never have too many or too many sizes of clamps) to hold the rib assembly in place. It sits off to one side a little bit, since the engine is larger on the low-pressure cylinder side.

used the tube-holding-blocks to position it for drilling part way through for some 2-56 brass screws to hold it in place for silver soldering

then tapped/inserted the screws to keep it in place

The red lines show the outlines of the ribs underneath. After soldering, will redraw the lines and use them as guides for drilling the engine plate bolt holes, which will go halfway through the ribs.
A look from the inside:

So, I have the boiler shell tube and its bushings ready to go, I think the next step will be to start on the end caps. They will be formed over wood patterns, annealed and hammered from copper sheet stock. Fun to think back on the first boiler I did, and how long it would have taken me to get to this same point back then!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2020, 12:27:52 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
Fun to think back on the first boiler I did, and how long it would have taken me to get to this same point back then!

That's one of the nice things about Live 'n' Learn - if you can remember  ;)

Thank you for taking us all on for a new ride  :whoohoo:

Per

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal