Author Topic: Chris's Mann Wagon Build  (Read 130135 times)

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
Re: Chris's Mann Wagon Build
« Reply #1275 on: January 16, 2021, 05:33:17 AM »
Watching on Chris........ :happyreader:....

From the original design, by locating the engine steam drain ports in the engine valve blocks and so close to the steam admission, does this suggest that only the steam inlet lines to the engine were bled/drained...as opposed to baring the engine to a mid stroke & using the steam as an engine warmer?

Beaut build  :cheers:

Derek
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 05:42:18 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1276 on: January 16, 2021, 02:13:52 PM »
Watching on Chris........ :happyreader: ....

From the original design, by locating the engine steam drain ports in the engine valve blocks and so close to the steam admission, does this suggest that only the steam inlet lines to the engine were bled/drained...as opposed to baring the engine to a mid stroke & using the steam as an engine warmer?

Beaut build  :cheers:

Derek
Putting the drains in the steam chests is something I did since they would not fit under the cylinders. The originals were on the cylinders, I just don't have drain valves that small.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1277 on: January 16, 2021, 08:35:36 PM »
Continued on with the valve sliders this afternoon - got the top side of the HP valve trimmed down a bit, reduces the size/weight and lets more steam fill the chamber.

Then on to the LP valve, which is same length but wider. Started by making a rectangle out of round as before...

Then excavating the chamber in the bottom face (that sounds painful... )

and cut the slots in the top side for the valve rod and adjusting nut

followed by removing a bunch of material from the top side

Here are both valve sliders trimmed to size and trial fit in the steam chests. Next will make the adjusting nuts and start threading the valve rods:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #1278 on: January 17, 2021, 02:00:56 AM »
Yea ,,getting there ...soon up and running.. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Are those drain cocks on the steam chests and will there be more on the cylinders ??

willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1279 on: January 17, 2021, 02:26:07 AM »
Yea ,,getting there ...soon up and running.. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Are those drain cocks on the steam chests and will there be more on the cylinders ??

willy
Yup, drains on the steam chests, I couldn't come up with ones small enough to fit under the cylinders, mainly at the bottom end with all the other stuff in the way. Not ideal, but better than no drains at all.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1280 on: January 17, 2021, 09:41:59 PM »
Got some more play time in the shop today, made up the small slider that goes in the throttle chest. This one does not need a cavity underneath, since it is just allowing steam in from the chest to the tapered slot under the slider.

Also threaded up the valve rods for the cylinders (3-48), and the throttle (0-80) and made the adjusting nuts - shown here all test assembled. Little hard to see the adjusting nuts, same color as the sliders.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1281 on: January 17, 2021, 10:37:11 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1282 on: January 18, 2021, 09:49:04 PM »
Just a little shop time this afternoon, enough to lap the faces on the slide valves on a set of diamond plates I got years ago for sharpening chisels/planes/etc. The throttle slider on the left is done, the HP slider on the right is not - does not show up that well in the picture but the HP slider has tool marks from the end mill shaping. After lapping they are nice and smooth.

And a test fit on the engine:

Next step is to make the clevises that attach the valve rods to the reversing links, and make the linkage for the throttle valve rod over to the cab. After that, most likely the pipework, unless I remember something else not made. Oh yeah, like the safety valve and pressure gauge hookup on top of the throttle steam chest! Pretty sure I have those parts bought.... now where did the elves store them... probably behind all the Elfenstiener beer crates...

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #1283 on: January 18, 2021, 10:56:45 PM »
I wish I had something intelligent to say instead of just standing gawping like a Barbarian at the Gates of Rome.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1284 on: January 18, 2021, 10:58:22 PM »
I wish I had something intelligent to say instead of just standing gawping like a Barbarian at the Gates of Rome.

Once the piping is on the barbarian can say "Wow, plumbing!"
 :ROFL:

:cheers: :cheers:

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #1285 on: January 18, 2021, 11:33:15 PM »
Or central heating?

OK - I promise to do that!

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1286 on: January 21, 2021, 12:18:00 AM »
Started whittling out the clevises to attach the valve rods to the reverse links... Still a ways to go on them.

Online tghs

« Reply #1287 on: January 21, 2021, 12:28:32 AM »
would you call that just little whittle :ROFL:
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1288 on: January 21, 2021, 12:31:55 AM »
would you call that just little whittle :ROFL:
Such a cute little part!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1289 on: January 21, 2021, 10:37:50 PM »
Things are progressing a little slow lately, not a lot of shop time this past week or so. I got the clevises finished, and did a very rough timing on the valves - need to get the engine mounted on the boiler to get the valve slider travel centered. To that end, made up another batch of studs using nuts and screws, with the nuts loctited in place. Tomorrow I'll trim off the heads of the screws, and can see about getting the engine mounted up with all the gaskets/studs/conrod-bolts, etc.

Looking ahead to the piping, here is another look at the elbows/tees that I had made up last spring. I designed them in CAD, and sent them off to be 3D printed and cast in bronze at Shapeways. There are existing parts very similar from places like PM Research, these are set up to be soldered right to the pipes rather than threaded on. I need to make up some simple soldering jigs to hold things in place so I am not heating up the engine block (very bad for gaskets/o rings! ).  It worked out cheaper to have them cast four at a time, connected with short tabs, rather than singly. On the one at the lower left, one of the elbows was sawn off and test fit on a piece of the tubing, a thick wall copper. Overall am happy with how they came out, nice finish on them. It is obvious that most of their business is with jewelry makers, each one came in a little velvet drawstring bag!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal