Author Topic: Chris's Mann Wagon Build  (Read 130100 times)

Offline tghs

Re: Chris's Mann Wagon Build
« Reply #1020 on: November 17, 2020, 10:55:26 PM »
looks great, have to love the good old days where it isn't hidden behind a guard,, quite the elf-killer..
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 10:58:28 PM by tghs »
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1021 on: November 18, 2020, 08:03:22 PM »
Just a little shop time today, started in on the con-rods. Picked out some flat bar stock, and drilled/counterdrilled the ends for the mounting screws:

Then cut off the counter-drilled ends, which will become the caps on the big ends.

Next up will be to drill for the bearings...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1022 on: November 18, 2020, 08:05:22 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1023 on: November 20, 2020, 05:29:10 PM »
Contiuning on with the con-rods, first lined up and drilled the holes for the big end bearings (which will be bronze split bearings)

Then got out a chunk of aluminum that has been used for holding parts like this in the past - ignore the two little screws at the left end, they are left over from a prior use. Drilled/tapped a hole for the big end, with a SHCS turned to fit the bearing hole. With it held in place on the block, and the table locked in place, the small end bearing hole was drilled in both con-rods.

While it was locked in place, the block was drilled/tapped for a smaller screw to match the hole in the con-rods. That way both ends of the rods blanks could be held down securely and repeatably positioned. Switched out the vise for the rotary table with a tooling plate on it, and centered the little end on the rotary table center, and milled that end down to shape.

Repositioned the clamps, and milled away the sides, leaving the tapered profile on the con-rods.

The big end is the thickest area, the rest is narrower. So, milled away the same amount from both top/bottom of the parts. To support the little end better, shims were added when doing the second side.

After milling the very ends to match the thickness, and a little cleanup on the sander:

Next the big end caps needed to be profiled. Started by notching the sides and taking the hieght down:

Then back to an old technique for rounding caps, used a small bit of rod as a spacer and took a series of cuts with the part tipped a little more each time. Key is to have the part tight down on the rod when tightening the vise, making sure to press straight down vertically regardless of the angle the part is at. That way the top is cut concentric with the existing center hole in the part.

After doing the same on both ends of the cap. With 4 to 6 cuts per side, the flats left blend so it looks like a smooth curve.

Both end caps shaped:

And dont worry, the SHCS's will be replaced with studs/hex nuts later on. Next up will be to start on the bronze bearings for each end. The little end bearings can be simple tubes, the big end will need to be split to fit around the crank pins.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #1024 on: November 20, 2020, 06:29:06 PM »
Coming along nicely Chris. I'm finally caught up on your build log.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1025 on: November 20, 2020, 08:20:45 PM »
Coming along nicely Chris. I'm finally caught up on your build log.

Jim
Great to have you following along Jim! Hope your summer worked out well.

This afternoon I got out to the Marion steam shovel with some of the folks from the Historicial Society, and we put up the battery-powered christmas lights for this year. Going back out in another hour and a hlaf to get the lights turned on - they are on timers to come on same time each day. Pictures later!  Its looking like it might be a good sunset tonight, hoping for some colorful sky to go with the lights. It was a decently warm day, mid 60's and breezy, so we grabbed the chance to get the lights up without sticking ourselves to the cab!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #1026 on: November 20, 2020, 08:25:23 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1027 on: November 21, 2020, 12:00:56 AM »
Got back out at dusk to get the lights on the Marion steam shovel turned on, and stayed to take a bunch of pictures. The sunset really came through too. Still have lots to sort through, but here is one good one from the first look:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #1028 on: November 21, 2020, 01:48:23 AM »
Hi love the rounding technique ..a cunning stunt if ever there was one  ?? hope I got the spelling right ??

willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1029 on: November 21, 2020, 02:01:13 AM »
Hi love the rounding technique ..a cunning stunt if ever there was one  ?? hope I got the spelling right ??

willy
Yup!  The rotary table is one of the most used gizmos on my mill. I use it so much in both horizontal and vertical modes that a year or so ago I picked up a used one so I don't have to switch it back and forth all the time. Well worth it. The tooling plate was home made from a steel plate.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #1030 on: November 21, 2020, 02:43:40 AM »
The lights look great on the shovel Chris! We definitely had a nice day today on the great lakes, 60 deg. Down from you on lake Erie.

Loving the Mann build!

Gotta ask about the Sherlines capacity...how much power do they have?
 What's the depth of cut you can take? Biggest drill you can do On lathe or mill? Are you using HSS or carbide lathe bits?

I'm just curious...not that I'm going to buy a sherline & put one On the production line or anything.

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1031 on: November 21, 2020, 03:01:22 AM »
The lights look great on the shovel Chris! We definitely had a nice day today on the great lakes, 60 deg. Down from you on lake Erie.

Loving the Mann build!

Gotta ask about the Sherlines capacity...how much power do they have?
 What's the depth of cut you can take? Biggest drill you can do On lathe or mill? Are you using HSS or carbide lathe bits?

I'm just curious...not that I'm going to buy a sherline & put one On the production line or anything.

John
Hi John,
The Sherline CAN do large parts, but definitely does not have the muscle and rigidity of a larger machine. It will struggle with drills up near 3/8" in steel on the lathe, mainly since the grip of the MT0 tailstock cant handle the torque. The drill chucks only go up to 3/8" anyway. I usually take turning passes at up to 20 thou or so at most, though it will do heavier cuts in brass in smaler diameters. It needs light cuts on large diameter (2" or more) steel, or the motor will overheat (it has a thermal protect circuit that turns it off in that case, am still using the original motors after many years). I have been using them for so long that nibbling at large parts is second nature - before the Sherlines I had even smaller old Unimat lathe. Someday I may splurge on a big machine, but really haven't missed something I never had.Um, I use lathe tools with carbide inserts mostly. On the mill, I like the Cobalt steel end mills. Drill set is all Cobalt steel. I machine almost entirely in 360 brass, 303 stainless, and 1144 stressproof steel. Occasionally some cast iron, rarely aluminum. Some wood parts for other projects.

Chris

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #1032 on: November 21, 2020, 03:14:49 AM »
Thanks Chris!
 Impressive work on those machines!

John

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #1033 on: November 21, 2020, 03:33:07 AM »
I like that sky in the upper left of the shovel picture.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1034 on: November 21, 2020, 03:42:15 AM »
I like that sky in the upper left of the shovel picture.

Jim
Got lucky on the weather, just before sundown a monster block of clouds went by, then all that was left was that thin pattern, caught the color perfect. A mid 60's day in late November is a treat around here. Tomorrow is back to low 40's.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal