Engines > Your Own Design

a very small 4 stroke engine : 1.35cm3

<< < (15/15)

Roger B:
My 3cc engine will give 15-18w at fairly high speed. It may do better with a better matched generator but I think that is more than enough to move a locomotive.

Many years ago Robert Symes-Shutzmann built a Hymec based G1 diesel hydraulic powered by a Taplin twin and also a diesel electric based on a British Type 4.

I met him at an exhibition and saw the 'Symec' but unfortunately he had just hydraulic locked it and broken the crankshaft (he used an electric drill for starting) so I didn't see it running  :(

Roger B:
This is his Class 47 starting and running (around 3mins in).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_IHBZkuDWk

Zephyrin:
Thanks for the input Roger,
And on the last min of the video, I’m impressed by the way this model engineer domesticated the taplin twin, really amazing. 
I looked further on the internet and gathered about half a dozen of similar tests, very successful achievements of diesel-electric traction on 45mm track, either in scale G (1 / 22.5) or G1 (1/32), all based on large sized "glow" engines with their noise and smoke problems that make these locos difficult to run in a club beyond a brief demo...
and in fact this "nitro-electric" traction does not correspond to what I imagined, too much sound and fury!
I'm not going to rush and will somewhat amend the project !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version