Author Topic: Anyone have a Chinese cutter grinder (D-Bit Deckle clone).  (Read 9203 times)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
Re: Anyone have a Chinese cutter grinder (D-Bit Deckle clone).
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2022, 04:24:21 AM »
Dave:

Thanks for the info and pictures. I did wonder about the lack of a central bore for centering a radius. I don't see one on the Shars pictures and I'd tentatively decided to add that bore for a split locating bar. I see you came to the same conclusion.

Thanks for the specs on the wheels also. Do you use the diamond wheels for HSS?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Thanks.
Hugh

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2022, 02:47:54 PM »

Do you use the diamond wheels for HSS?

The High Speed that I have ground I used the Aluminum oxide wheel that came with the grinder. I would like to get a CBN wheel for use on high speed tools

Dave

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2022, 02:25:07 AM »
Dave:

Thanks. I understand you shouldn't use a diamond wheel on steel, and you need a diamond wheel for carbide. But I've read accounts that question this flat rule. Probably best to stick to the rules though.

I've also read good reports in using CBN wheels for steel. They seem to be expensive though.

I have a mix of carbide and HSS tools. With my machines and timidness I don't take advantage of the carbide. Though carbide tends to hold and edge longer, but chips easier. (this could just be my errant impression though) It will be a real advantage to make known sharp tools and keep them that way. Probably mostly for lathe tooling, boring bars, etc.

Thanks again for your help.
Hugh

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2022, 04:50:44 PM »
Hi Hugh

I think that you could get away with using your diamond wheel for light duty grinding. My understanding is that the diamond has an affinity for carbon and at the high speeds and temperature of grinding, the carbon in the steel will load up the diamond wheel. My buddy has a hand me down diamond wheel from a local tool grinding company that he has mounted to a cheap 6" bench grinder. He has been freehand grinding HSS lathe tools on it for years.

I have attached a drawing for the wheel tool that I made for my Shars grinder.

Dave

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2022, 05:58:45 PM »
As a data point, I grind HSS almost exclusively, using the Asian inexpensive diamond wheels. In 3 years I have not had to replace one yet, except to get a sharp corner back on one wheel. Even if/when they do load up, at the price it is worth it. I am firmly in the "don't spend more than you have to" camp.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2022, 06:16:07 PM »
Thanks.

I've seen youtube vids (the preeminent authority on everything) showing truing a diamond wheel using a steel bar. I had the impression it removed the bonding between the diamond grit. From Gerrit's experience it sounds like diamond works well for HSS though. Well, at least for the amount of use seen in the hobby shop.

I did order one from Shars. It should have been here Monday but it seems the weather between IL and AZ has thrown the schedule off. The cost was similar but shipping was more than I'd seen noted on other posts. I ordered 4 wheel hubs along with it. I also ordered a "saucer" CBN wheel, along with the diamond and aluminum oxide that comes with it. I suspect I'll continue using HSS mainly. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Thanks.
Hugh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal