Author Topic: Greene Automatic Cut-Off Steam Engine  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Greene Automatic Cut-Off Steam Engine
« on: May 03, 2020, 11:56:26 PM »
A model of the Greene Automatic cut-off steam engine, offered as castings and drawings by Dennis J Howe of Historic Models and Reproductions.

I did not build this model.  It was built by Tony Sears of Apex, North Carolina.  Tony is a master machinist with a career in Tool and Die Making.  His work is superb and meticulous as you can see from the caliber of this model and how well it runs.

He asked me to post it for him.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-txmQ4Z2B0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-txmQ4Z2B0</a>
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Greene Automatic Cut-Off Steam Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 12:23:20 AM »
Beautiful engine!  Very interesting motions on the valves too.

Offline kvom

Re: Greene Automatic Cut-Off Steam Engine
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 03:44:52 AM »
It's a nice runner for sure, but it's not using the cutoff mechanism as yet.  The governor isn't connected.  You'll notice that the trips are at the bottom of their pockets and the valves are being operated by the section of the slide between them.  The catches seem to be adjusted to do this, but I believe that on an actual engine failure to catch the trip at any point would cause the engine to stop.

Perhaps Dennis will chime in on this.

I also wonder if the dash pots are working of their own weight, or if there are return springs under the base as shown in the plans.

The cylinder side of the crosshead has some sort of clamp on the piston rod that's not in the plans.  It would be nice to know why that was deemed necessary.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 03:48:48 AM by kvom »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal