Author Topic: 31/2" Tich  (Read 15428 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: 31/2" Tich
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2022, 09:24:19 PM »
Back to the Bench and making parts  :ThumbsUp:

Per

Offline samc88

« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2022, 10:13:33 PM »
Long time no update, I have made some parts however despite lacking in time last month. Starting off with the steam ports, this was done with a 3/32 drill in the mill with the block at the correct angle (done by eye by scribing lines on the cylinder).

Once that job was done it was on to the covers. These were first held by the chucking piece to turn the register and drill the centre hole in the case of the lower covers. Next was to bore out a piece of aluminium to be a snug fit on the register, this was used as a kind of superglue chuck to let me turn the other side of the covers, worked really well.

The next operation was the mounting holes which was pretty simple using the DRO (I love this thing)

Offline samc88

« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2022, 10:21:08 PM »
For a change from cylinder bits, I decided to work on the reversing gear, I had already made the links so why not do the rest. First job was the shaft, one end was turned 3/16 to be a good fit on the link. Next was to mark the distance between the shoulders using the parting blade to leave a mark before the bar was cut and the other side machined.

With the shaft done, the next operation was to make the reverse arm that connects to the reach rod. This was drilled first and then the shape marked out and made to size using the trusty hacksaw and files.

The next op was to silver solder the arms together so I made a jig from some scrap aluminium to hold them together at 90⁰. This was my first proper go at silver soldering and Im pleased with how it came out, still a lot of practice to be had though. The arms were then loctited to the shaft using a drill in each link to ensure they were inline with each other.

With that Im now up to date, Ive got the lifting links currently on the go and got some material for the reverse stand on order. I do have a toolmaking project coming up soon as well which Ill do a thread on when I get round to it

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2022, 10:57:02 PM »
Great to see your progress!  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn:

And it's fun to see you working on the cylinders and reversing gear since I've just recently finished up those myself on my A3! :)

Kim

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2022, 03:23:48 AM »
Looking great! excellent progress.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Michael S.

• Germany, Saxony-Anhalt, Magdeburg
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2022, 07:31:12 PM »
Very good work. I enjoy watching the locomotive being built.

Michael

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal