Supporting > Vehicles & Models

31/2" Tich

<< < (10/10)

samc88:
Back in business, I've recently moved house so obviously all work on this came to a halt, upon further looking into the drawings I decided that it would be easier to drill the holes for the brake shaft bearing with the frames apart so they were stripped down again and tidied up and the hole drilled. I've recently acquired a Warco WM12 milling machine is so much better than the vertical slide, more travel for one thing and it saves the hassle of stripping the machine down every time. The first picture is the workshop, yes my washing machine and dryer also lives in there

Since I had a miller I took the opportunity to redo the buffer beams and tidy up things I wasn't really happy with, these are meant to be 3/4 angle but I used 20mm and forgot about the extra mm so they didn't sit right on the frames. Whilst doing this I decided I'd prefer the rivet heads to be visible on the outside which I prefer. I also tidied up the horn guides as these were slightly undersize and I wasn't happy with the finish and the uneven heights whihh was a legacy of struggling with the vertical slide when the lathe still had ball bearings rather than taper ones

As it stands the frames are now properly bolted together and ready for the frame stretcher to go in, I've diverted slightly from LBSC and fitted lock nuts to the bolts rather than solely relying on the 7BA tapped holes in the buffer angles (can see them coming loose with vibration possibly). Long way round to where I am, learning to deal with smaller machines than the large ones in work and the challenges that come with them has been quite enjoyable however

 

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

samc88:
Pump stay milled to width this evening, haven't got any pics of the actual machining unfortunately. Quite happy with how it's turning out, pleased to see the casting details are still fairly even after machining. Tomorrow I'll look at sorting the height and drilling and tapping the mounting holes for the chassis and also the water pump as it turns out I have the right taps for that. I think I'll also take the casting number off it

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

samc88:
Been a productive evening, the frame stretcher was finished and fitted and then I made up the reverse shaft bushes from bronze and fitted them, had a piece of 1/4" silver steel lying around so used that to check alignment and it spins over nicely.
As the bronze is still in the lathe I'll make the brake shaft bearings tomorrow.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

samc88:
Got the brake shaft bearings made up today, turned the 8mm section down from 5/8" bronze bar and then filed to size. Just need to get a drill to tap 9ba and these can be fitted. Quite a fun little part to make

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version