Supporting > Vehicles & Models

31/2" Tich

<< < (9/17) > >>

samc88:
Got into gear and started on redoing the axle boxes, I wasn't happy with my first attempt and decided to go about it in a different way this time. I basically, squared off the end of the casting stick and cut it into 4. Then using the side of the end I'll I machined all 4 to length, then to width, before machining the centre portion and the flange. Got two finished today and pleased with how they've come out, they fit nicely in the hornblocks, I think I'll do a light lap to get them running really smoothly. Looks like the wheels will have minimum side to side play too when I fit the axles

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

samc88:
All four are now machined to size and stamped with their location. I have pilot drilled them for the axles but my phone ran out of charge to take a photo. My pillar drill won't run slow enough to do a good hole for the axles so I'm going to drill them and ream them in the lathe using the 4 jaw. I'm quite pleased how these have come out considering the mini lathe isn't the most rigid of things for milling on

samc88:
 :DrinkPint:I drilled the axle hole in the lathe with the 4 jaw. These appear to line up nicely with each other. I thought I had a 3/8 reamer but it was not to be so I settled for drilling the spring pockets. I did originally drill an oil hole in the middle but then learnt that this wouldn't work properly for the oil film in the axle box so I blanked off the middle hole and drilled through the spring pockets into the side of the axle bore. Quite happy how these have turned out, I hope to have a rolling chassis by the weekend if the reamer comes soon.

samc88:
Found a reamer, it was cunningly hidden in the box marked reamers. Needs a little bit of fettling to get everything running smoothly as I made the axle boxes to be a good fit in the hornblocks, nothing a few strokes with a file won't sort out.

Also quartered the wheels on the leading axle using a method described by LBSC in the build articles, using a square across the centreline of the axle and the crank pin and a height gauge set to the axle centerline. This is done with loctite so I have some leeway

Admiral_dk:
A rolling chassis - congratulations on reaching the first milestone  :cheers:

Per

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version