Author Topic: Things to do under Lockdown.  (Read 22990 times)

Offline cnr6400

Re: Things to do under Lockdown.
« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2020, 06:45:48 PM »
Same Christmas wishes to you and your family Ramon.

I will be taking Bo Jo's advice shown in your posted pic this holiday!  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #181 on: December 19, 2020, 06:22:20 PM »
Second Vaccine has been approved in US  :whoohoo: Looks like the Oxford one is only days away (28th/29th December, last set of required data due 21st )  :) Then the Uk can ramp up our vaccination program even further  :cartwheel:

Did I mention I am frightened of needles  :paranoia:

Jo

P.s. My Parents have just discovered they are now in the UK Tier 4 which means they cannot have visitors out of their area so they cannot have visitors so will be prevented from getting any unintended presents this Xmas.   :ThumbsUp:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2020, 06:24:34 PM »
Second Vaccine has been approved in US  :whoohoo: Looks like the Oxford one is only days away (28th/29th December, last set of required data due 21st )  :) Then the Uk can ramp up our vaccination program even further  :cartwheel:

Did I mention I am frightened of needles  :paranoia:

Jo

P.s. My Parents have just discovered they are now in the UK Tier 4 which means they cannot have visitors out of their area so they cannot have visitors so will be prevented from getting any unintended presents this Xmas.   :ThumbsUp:
That needle will hurt a lot less than the usual sharp bit of hot swarf off the mill! 

Too bad they cant have the visitors, but it for the best in the long run!!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2020, 06:42:25 PM »
Early present for my parents, the Doctors phoned today and they get their first jabs on Monday.

It's usually just the three of us at Christmas so not much change there though the odd dropping off or receiving presents from a few aunts etc is out this year. Same with my parents usual trip upto Scotland to see the Grandkids who have just got back from Uni after a clear Covid test.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2020, 08:11:05 PM »
Too bad they cant have the visitors, but it for the best in the long run!!

Great relief for me as I have been very concerned about them catching it from their grandson as both the year above and below were all out due to Covid running through his school  :paranoia:

Jo

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2020, 11:24:45 AM »
We - my wife and I - took the decision back in October to cancel any ideas of a family Christmas as being far too risky for us, so we and our family have had plenty of time to prepare and get used to the idea.  Worst affected will be youngest duaghter who will be on her own (with her two dogs) for the very first time ever.  She's in West Sussex, middle daughter and grandchildren are in Gloucester and eldest daughter and partner are in Glasgow, so with us in Somerset we are well spread out and a family get together involves a lot of travelling into/out of who knows how many different tiers, a risky business on its own never mind the mixing together over the festive period.  So the announcements yesterday do not affect us at all and is in effect verification we made the right decision.

Eldest daughter has organised us with zoom/team meet meetings for Christmas Day, so synchronised opening of presents in the morning, catch-up and chat mid afternoon, and a family quiz later that day, so we will be together as much as we can on the day. 

Being considered vulnerable elderly with underlying health conditions we have spent the majority of this year since March in iso, apart from what seems now like a brief period in the summer when we did go out and about a little.  We have had the vast majority of our shopping delivered, shopped online for nearly all our Christmas presents, sending them direct to recipents, discovered DHL would pick up parcels from our house and deliver them next day to wherever, and only now venture into Waitrose if absolutely necessary (if we're forgotten something on the order or run out) as Waitrose govern how many people enter at once, so no crowds, ditto the local farm shop.  We avoid anywhere where the general public congregate in numbers! 

I have discovered I'm a natural hermit, quite happy to stay at home and do my own thing and avoid people!

Boris is getting some stick for "cancelling" Christmas, but it was not him but the ignorant and very selfish public who ignored advice and common sense, deciding that none of it applied to them, and thronged about like sardines in a can - witness beaches in summer and more recently, straight after the last lock-down ended the photos a couple of weeks ago of wall to wall public in Regents street and outside Harrods, packed together like sardines as I said, none social distancing or wearing masks - and now those areas are into Tier 4, well, who'd have guessed that happening.  Sorry, but for a lot of people this 'cancellation' seems to be self-inflected. Why do people not think, and apply common sense - it's all me-me-me.

Showed 'er indoors' the picture of Boris and "Stay Safe, Stay in the Worshop".  She laughed out loud, and then said 'cheeky buggar'!  I thought he was quite right, but the getting shed time will be tricky over the festive period I think, knowing SWMBO!

Chris
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 11:28:00 AM by Laurentic »

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2020, 12:16:09 PM »
I will be sat watching telly with my wife over part of the Christmas break.

The rest of the time will be spent in the workshop with "Agnes"  ;D

Phil

Offline RayW

« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2020, 02:13:36 PM »
My sentiments exactly Chris. We live in Kent which now has the highest infection rates in the country. This is all down to selfish idiots not obeying the rules on households mixing, as a result which we are all now suffering. We usually travel to Devon for Christmas and New Year to stay on my brother- in-laws farm and were also due to attend our nieces wedding, but all that was scrapped some time ago as none of us wanted to take the risk, even if small gatherings were permitted at that time.
I wish all forum members a very happy and safe Christmas.
Ray

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2020, 02:25:42 PM »
Yes, I hope everyone stays safe and well. I would encourage the use of such digital video calls as skype, zoom, microsoft Teams. Doesn't matter which. I hope that my Dad and I can have a "shed off" over the Christmas weekend. He'll show me the excellent progress he has made on his Red Wing engine, and I'll show him what I'm throwing in the scrap bin this week. It's light hearted, fun and allows you to "keep it real". Wife and I will have a couple of video chats with family and friends with snacks and beverages, so stay connected that way, while keeping each other safe.

If my boiler drawings arrive then I'll spend some time poring over those, maybe run some pressure calcs and / or 3D FEA modelling. Or just keep on with PMR #1.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline tech610

« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2020, 02:43:22 PM »
I have complete volumes of ME from late 60's through to 1999. They take up so much space and I am thinking of a cull....which breaks my heart.
I've been a subscriber to the Home Shop Machinist and to the Machinist Workshop since 1999. I kept all the issues in the magazine storage boxes until maybe 7 years ago. That is when I started to digitize my magazines. I caught up with all old issues about three years ago. Now they all are in my computer, which I backup regularly, so I don't worry about losing them and they now easy and comfortable to browse. How much work it is will depend on your scanner.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 02:46:34 PM by tech610 »

Daggers

« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2020, 11:49:02 AM »
I too had a completer set of binder held ME magazines from 1960 to 2005. After a lot of agonising about what to do I donated them to the local model engineering society. They now have a complete set from no.1, also LLAS and EIM.
Just takes a trip to the club now to look at a issue and i then use my ipad to photo the pages i am interested in, then print when i get home.
The only mags I now have at home are a small number of strictly IC, which i will always keep.
Keep Safe everyone.
Merry Christmas and lets hope for a heathy new year.

:thinking:Now where did i put the workshop keys.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #191 on: December 26, 2020, 09:11:30 AM »
Here we go again  :toilet_claw:

Woke up this morning to find a "Stay at Home" = Lockdown order has been placed where I live  :wallbang: Covid is rampant round here: it doubled yesterday to a total of 6 Cases  :paranoia:

So what to do under Lockdown 3.0  :thinking:

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #192 on: December 26, 2020, 11:03:30 AM »
Perhaps you need to lock Surus down.  :LittleDevil:  Quarantine him in a room well away from castings and give yourself free reign to select your next masterpiece.

Colin

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #193 on: December 26, 2020, 11:29:26 AM »

So what to do under Lockdown 3.0  :thinking:

Jo

I've made a start by staying in bed until 10:30 ...  :D

Had a  brew and I am now turning my attention to the burning issue of the day .....

Is it safe to plug the land-line in ?????????????????

Hmmmmmmm  :thinking:   :noidea:

D.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #194 on: December 26, 2020, 12:37:25 PM »
I've started by taking my frustrations out on a Stump  ;D

Now for some electrics  ::)

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal