Author Topic: Things to do under Lockdown.  (Read 22968 times)

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
Re: Things to do under Lockdown.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 02:19:43 AM »
Stay out of LOML way by doing anything I want in the workshop

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 10:59:26 PM »
Well, I thought  I'd chime in just because.

I haven't been doing much machining of late, because as usual I've drifted on to some other projects. This is a bad habit of mine. Although to be fair, if a project really needs completing because of safety or because it will leave the house open to damage or something, I stay the course. But for my fun projects I do flit about a bit.

Anyway, at the start of the lockdowns, my new sidecar shipped out of the UK. There was much stress while I waited for it to arrive, wondering if it would make it to my door, or instead end up in some warehouse for a year, but it made it in perfect shape.

So, I got that attached to my bike, and here it is.

Unfortunately, the handling is awful. Turns out I have the set up way off, so I need to work on that.

So while I gave that some thought, I decided once and for all that I was fed up with not being able to access the intertubez from my shed. My shed is only about 70 yards from my house, but being metal sided the wi fi signal from the house just doesn't get through, and nor does cell phone signals, so I can't use my phone as a hot spot.

After doing some searching I ordered a microwave transmitter point to point set up. There was a lot of drilling of holes in walls, and learning how to terminate ethernet cables (eazy as it turns out, just need a $30 crimping tool and it's a breeze), some routing of cables inside the house (was dreading that bit, but now it's done and tidy all is well), and hey presto, I now have a very solid and secure link and I don't need to trudge back to the house to look something up or grab a drawing or manual from my network or cloud drives.

Here they are:

They don't look like much, but they transmit at 5GHz, and have a lot of features that allow setting of the transmission power so as to not send the signal too far, as well as security and all that. Most importantly, all very easy to set up from the computer stand point, because although I use computers a lot, setting up networks is tedious to me.

And while I've been engaged in all those shenanigans, I have figured out a machining set up to help me make progress on my steam engine base casting, which has had me stumped for a while. So once I get the side car set up, I can move back to steam engines.

Although nice weather is here, and motorcycle rides are a nice way to get out and still social distance.

So there's all that, and then there's rebuilding lawnmower carburetors and servicing the mower decks,

because as well as nice motorbike rides when everything greens up, some of the greenery has to be maintained.

So far the lock down has flown by for me, helped significantly by the fact that web conferencing using zoom and skype and such like, really help us stay in touch with friends and family.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:06:31 PM by propforward »
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 11:46:21 PM »
Stuart - what a wonderful looking ride (the motorcycle, not the mower! )

We got our first really warm weather here this weekend, got out for walks and time on the porch reading. Also spent part of this morning replacing the last of the wiring pigtails to the coil packs on my '06 MX-5 Miata. It was one of the first couple months production of the (then) new design (the NC model), and they changed the way the spark plugs were wired up, with a coil pack per plug. Unfortunately, the signal wire to tell the pack to fire the plug was made with really thin stranded wire, and over time the wire would break inside the insulation just before the plug.  :(   That would cause an intermittant misfire condition, depending on the vibration and temperature, very hard to diagnose being intermittant.   :censored:   Turns out the factory figured it out in a few months and changed the wire gauge, but they never did a recall or service bulletin on it.   >:(   Thanks to the Miata owners forum, found out about the real cause and the easy/cheap solution.  :cartwheel: Replacing the wiring harness is what the dealers would do, which is a huge expensive job since it is tied in everywhere around the engine bay. But, the forum showed what/where to buy the identical pigtail connectors/wires for just that end of the harness, and where to get the right high temp cloth electrical tape, same as the factory uses. So, some time in the garage to trim off the old tape wrap, splice in the new pigtails, and re-wrap them, and its good as new! Zoom Zoom! Off for a nice drive with the top down in the sun today!   8)
Too bad it is going back down below freezing tomorrow night....   :(

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 11:52:38 PM »
Love the bike n sidecar hope you sort the handling out asap just remember cornering isn't leamn into it its hard turn harder right than left.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 12:20:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm very happy with the rig. As for the set up, the toe in is far too much, but I've got some nice straight edges to help me get that set up, just have to go through the motions.

Thanks to the Miata owners forum, found out about the real cause and the easy/cheap solution.  :cartwheel:

Aren't forums great? Just like this one. There is a ton of great info out there to build on. I am on one for sidecar owners (naturally) where I get a lot of helpful info. On one of the Triumph forums I have been able to give back and actually post "how to" threads on tuning, maintenance and such, including a step by step on hand changing of tires (tyres).

Good for you - glad you have your Miata up and running for the nice weather! Often times when I am riding around the forests of Wisconsin I encounter a Miata owners group out for a drive. they look like they are having a ton of fun.
Stuart

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 12:28:48 AM »
One of the guys I shoot with is into the big Jeeps rather than Miatas (goid choice, he won't fit in the Miata). His tires are taller than my car, and he jokes about me driving a speed bump!

Your sidecar is what they call a Zeppelin style, right? What is th bike itself?

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 12:50:55 AM »
It's a Triumph Bonneville - one of the newer Hinckley made ones, a 2007, so still normally aspirated (carburettors). I love it, and I think this side car suits it really well. Made by Watsonian Squire of the UK.

The wife and I are hoping to go on a few weekend camping trips with it at some point - probably have to wait for that, but in the meantime once set up and I have some more experience, we can at least do some local and day rides. Fair weather only!
Stuart

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 02:49:17 AM »
Nice sidecar rig Stuart.  :ThumbsUp: New Triumphs are nice motorcycles. I've had 2 different Triumph Tigers. Always liked the Bonnevilles. Unfortunately, since my motor scooter accident last August, my motorcycle riding days are over.  I decided, at age 73, it was time to grow up and start driving something practical, so I bought a new red Mazda Miata a couple of months ago.  :LittleDevil: Lots of fun.

I haven't done much machining myself lately either. But it's there waiting for me when the urge strikes. :)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 07:18:37 AM »
Many years ago I used to have an A65 BSA with a side car but nothing as smart as you have  8) I seem to recall the two needed a little lean out to get the handling about right but it was a case of try and fiddle they all were a little different. Steve has written it up here: http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/vehicles/bmw/sidecar/sidecaradjustment/sidecaradjustment.html

So, some time in the garage to trim off the old tape wrap, splice in the new pigtails, and re-wrap them, and its good as new! Zoom Zoom! Off for a nice drive with the top down in the sun today!   8)
Too bad it is going back down below freezing tomorrow night....   :(

You are allowed out  :o

Minx is still under wraps in the garage since last year :( I can't work out why us driving around with her top down doesn't count as achieving 2 meter social distancing  :headscratch:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 07:50:03 AM »
( I can't work out why us driving around with her top down doesn't count as achieving 2 meter social distancing  :headscratch:

Jo

If you broke down or needed to get petrol that may bring you and others into contact , if you had an accident then that may use NHS resources. Not an issue where you are but just going out for  a drive in town will slow traffic and leave those on public transport in more risk as they will be confined in a small space with others for longer.

Why did you not drive it through the winter? nice bright day is always good for a drive even if it's cold outside and you have the option to leave the top up.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 08:03:03 AM »
( I can't work out why us driving around with her top down doesn't count as achieving 2 meter social distancing  :headscratch:

Jo

If you broke down or needed to get petrol that may bring you and others into contact , if you had an accident then that may use NHS resources.

The same argument goes for people who have to drive to work and most accidents occur during rush hour  :ShakeHead:

I choose not to drive her in the winter because it gets salt all over her  :paranoia: and I am of an age when I can appreciate not having sub zero temperatures whizzing round my neck. Why would you drive round in a soft top car with the top up   :noidea: Which reminds me I must consider what I am going to replace my old work horse Pug with  :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 02:37:45 PM »
Many years ago I used to have an A65 BSA with a side car but nothing as smart as you have  8) I seem to recall the two needed a little lean out to get the handling about right but it was a case of try and fiddle they all were a little different. Steve has written it up here: http://www.steves-workshop.co.uk/vehicles/bmw/sidecar/sidecaradjustment/sidecaradjustment.html

Exactly right - that's a great article. I haven't seen that one before in my interwebs searchings. That is the method I am now using, although I'm using aluminium extrusions which are very straight instead of lumber. Same technique though.

Minx is still under wraps in the garage since last year :( I can't work out why us driving around with her top down doesn't count as achieving 2 meter social distancing  :headscratch:

Jo

In Minnesota anyway, our Governor specifically listed driving for pleasure as an acceptable reason for leaving the house during the "stay at home" orders. However, it is important to weigh the risk and impact. Even so, getting out for a drive has been good.
Stuart

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2020, 02:44:10 PM »

Jo
No problem going out here as long as it is not close to others, so going for a drive, a walk around the block, is fine. At grocery stores, gas stations, anywhere with other people, etc a mask is required as well as staying apart - fine by me, I dont want to get it! We never had lockdown measures as strict as some countries where you had to stay in your house completely. Some areas here are relaxing things too fast in my opinion, time and the hospitals will tell.  :(   The area I am in has not been hit anywhere near as bad as the big cities, they are having a very bad time.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 05:56:17 PM »
We are well behind other areas in terms of infection rate. I'm hoping that means we will be better prepared when the inevitable ramp up in infection rate starts.

Bit depressing thinking about it really.

If anyone here hasn't tried things like zoom, skype or whatever, I do recommend giving it a go to connect with friends and family. It helps a lot, and you can have a whole group on the chat. Good for morale for sure.
Stuart

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 05:59:20 PM »
Hi Chris , Miata question - if you get the firing order wrong when fixing the plug wire issue, does the car go "Mooz Mooz" rather than "Zoom Zoom"?    :thinking: (points to ponder) :Lol:

I worked on a LOT of the rotary engined RX-7's in the 1980's for friends who raced and rallyed them. They were a really fun car and the engines were a breeze to work on once out of the car.

I'm a bit big framed for a Miata  (would need one for the other foot) (and no, I don't have a pet blue ox) but I liked them a lot too. Mazda sure had the knack for sports cars in those days.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal