Author Topic: New 3D Printer  (Read 3501 times)

Offline mikemill

New 3D Printer
« on: March 30, 2020, 10:07:19 AM »
I am impressed by the capability of these machines, I have looked at the many small printers that are on the market, but decided that a slightly larger machine would prove useful in the future, I found this one LSAM 1040 http://www.thermwood.com/lsam_home.htm

Also getting a new shed to house the new tool.

Any advise as to using 3D printers would be appreciated.

Mike

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: New 3D Printer
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 02:13:17 PM »
I am impressed by the capability of these machines, I have looked at the many small printers that are on the market, but decided that a slightly larger machine would prove useful in the future, I found this one LSAM 1040 http://www.thermwood.com/lsam_home.htm

Also getting a new shed to house the new tool.

Any advise as to using 3D printers would be appreciated.

Mike

You'll be able to make some really nice tool holders with that. You know ........... ones that will hold you're lathe and mill so you can hang them on the wall!  :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline awake

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 07:17:27 PM »
Well, I do think those machines might be slightly larger than needed compared to most model engines ... :)

But if you are seriously asking about using 3d printers, I'd be happy to share my experience, relatively tiny (compared to those machines) as it is! :)
Andy

Offline mikemill

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 10:33:10 AM »
I was just trying to add some humouress light relive for house bound M E’s but seems to be in vain. M E’s may to have lost their sense of humour?
except Jim

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 11:09:40 AM »
I guess the LSAM 1040 would be OK at a pinch - I gather these 3d-prints can be bonded together to make useful-sized components that won't fit into the limited print volume.

Yesterday I was in my workshop making swarf when a chap drove past on a tractor shouting "The end is NIGH!!!". I think it was farmer geddon.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline awake

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 06:36:01 PM »
farmer geddon.

Groan. Now see what you've done, Mike? You've opened the doors to this sort of pun.

And the very worst part is, Allen got in a pun before I could think of one!!
Andy

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 09:11:45 PM »
Wow!  I'll say. That may officially win the Bad-Pun-of-the-week Award!  :Jester:

Kim

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 11:11:35 PM »
Well if lock-down is making you one of the miserable ones:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf4XxnL4lPk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf4XxnL4lPk</a>
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 11:45:17 PM »
That was fun and so true. My parents can not Skype or Facetime. It's beyond them. It's really hard because the grandkids are on technology and want to interact with them.

As an aside...reminds me of the time our town was hit with a massive ice storm that destroyed every tree and knocked out power to nearly everyone.
When we went out to eat...you could tell who had power and who did not. Those that did not wore hats because they couldn't shower.
I'd sent the family to a friend who had power. I stayed in the freezing home keeping warm with coffee made from the hot water tap.

These are difficult times for everyone. Keep your spirits up. Reach out, not just to your loved ones, but your friends.

Some of my friends are alone.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »
Zee:

How goes the 3D printing?  You kicking the printer's butt, or is it kicking yours?

If you haven't figured it out yet, NOTHING is more important than first layer adhesion.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 05:41:54 PM »
How goes the 3D printing?  You kicking the printer's butt, or is it kicking yours?
If you haven't figured it out yet, NOTHING is more important than first layer adhesion.

Hi Don. Not sure where your question is coming from. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else?

My 3D printer has been working fine. It does need a tuneup though.
Last parts I made were some hooks to hang Christmas Stockings.
It's come in handy a number of times for odd jobs around the house.

My 1st 3D printer is a different story. It was a kit. That one kicked my butt.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 09:31:54 PM »
Sorry about that Zee, I just stumbled on this thread, saw you were the last to respond, and I assumed.  And you know what they say about assuming things.

I'm a LITTLE slow at times, but I finally figured out that this thread was essentially an April Fool's gag.  But that was after I had already replied to your response.

This isn't the first time I fell for something like this.  About 15-20 years ago there was a letter from the editor about Ertl bringing their injection molding back to Iowa from Mexico.  That was in the April issue a national magazine.  I fell for it and responded to the magazine for further information - to see if there would possibly be any controls work for my company.  I still swear I could hear them laughing when I read their e-mail explaining that it was just an April Fools gag.

Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 02:33:38 AM »
Sorry about that Zee, I just stumbled on this thread, saw you were the last to respond, and I assumed.  And you know what they say about assuming things.

I'm a LITTLE slow at times, but I finally figured out that this thread was essentially an April Fool's gag.  But that was after I had already replied to your response.

This isn't the first time I fell for something like this.  About 15-20 years ago there was a letter from the editor about Ertl bringing their injection molding back to Iowa from Mexico.  That was in the April issue a national magazine.  I fell for it and responded to the magazine for further information - to see if there would possibly be any controls work for my company.  I still swear I could hear them laughing when I read their e-mail explaining that it was just an April Fools gag.

Don

Maybe you were just ahead of your time Don. This Covid-19 issue has made it apparent that a lot of things should be brought back to this country.  :thinking:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 03:39:06 PM »
Jim:

Yeah, but I think that April Fools gag happened back in the late 90's.  It was just a couple of years after Ertl moved their injection molding to Mexico.

On a probably related note to COVID19, I saw a rant a couple of days ago that claimed Japan was willing to pay companies to move their manufacturing out of China.  I probably couldn't find that article again if my life depended on it.  It probably had about as much truth to it as most of the other rants on the Interweb.

Don

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 02:54:20 PM »
Ferrari is making respirator valves and donating them to their local hospitals with their 3D printers from the prototype shop. You can see this on their website.
Mosey   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal