Author Topic: Beginner Engine Plans??  (Read 10400 times)

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
Re: Beginner Engine Plans??
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 04:48:07 AM »
I appreciate the responses. I'll get there eventually. Hopefully sooner than later.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 05:04:49 PM »
Hi Bear one thing to remember is that an exactly 1" rod  will not go into an exactly 1" hole !!! ...so good luck with your first engine

Willy
Willy there is a way to get a 1" rod in a 1" hole, it works best if the metals are dissimilar, one goes in the freezer the other you heat up. Haven't done one in years, but used to make rods with balls on each end and a ring in the middle.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 05:16:35 PM »
Hi Bear one thing to remember is that an exactly 1" rod  will not go into an exactly 1" hole !!! ...so good luck with your first engine

Willy
Willy there is a way to get a 1" rod in a 1" hole, it works best if the metals are dissimilar, one goes in the freezer the other you heat up. Haven't done one in years, but used to make rods with balls on each end and a ring in the middle.
Gerald.
Or a bigger hammer....   :hammerbash:

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 03:23:52 PM »
Well, I finally decided (I think ;D) on a simple engine that I could do with a milling attachment for my Taig lathe. It is called the "Simple Oscillating Steam Engine" that I found on a website under the name of Steve's Workshop uk. Excellent plans and even a tutorial with pictures.

Now I need to either get a milling machine. I have been looking very hard at the Taig manual mill (wish they had a discount code) or the possibility of just using a milling attachment for my lathe. I also need to scrounge up the materials. Having access to the plans helps immensely in this regard  :).

Any words of wisdom regarding the Taig mill or milling attachment would be greatly appreciated. There is a world of difference in price; however, if I am going to end up with the mill eventually, might as well save the money and forego the attachment.

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 03:35:24 PM »
I have no opinion on your choice of Taig lathe or not but I can say you've made a good choice of engine for a first attempt.  I say that because that was the one I chose for a starter and it taught me a good deal.

Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 03:43:13 PM »
That engine looks great, Jim. I am looking forward to my first try.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 04:57:41 PM »
The milling attachment for the Taig lathe is quite capable, but has a very small work envelope.  I don't remember exactly but it seems like the "large" axis is about 4" and the shorter one is maybe 2.5"-3".  Again I'm not certain on this, but it is pretty small.  I remember having to do longer parts in two setups - first mill one length down to size, then preposition the part over a few inches and do it again.

For the price it is great.  And it gives you some good capabilities.  While it can't compete with the capabilities of the full mill, it is 1/10th the price!

So its all whether you want to spend 10x more and have more capabilities now, or spend less and have some fun, then spend the additional money in a few years (if you choose to, of course :)).  That's a decision that only you can make.

Kim

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 05:33:45 PM »
Kim, I have decided on the mill as opposed to the attachment. Thanks for your input.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2020, 06:26:15 PM »
Excellent choice!

(of course, you know i'd have said that regardless of which path you'd chosen.  Because both choices are good:))

If you order from Nick Carter, you'll get 10% off. That's the best deal I know about for Taig equipment.

Kim

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 06:34:48 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Kim. Now I am waiting on a call back from a local metals supplier on
prices for brass and aluminum. I previously obtained 6061 aluminum round stock from them for $12.00 for a 2 ft length in 1 1/8 diameter.

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2020, 01:52:58 AM »
Was wondering if for this 1st engine, I could substitute aluminum for the brass it calls for in many of the parts. The brass is a little pricey, and as a first engine, I don't want to waste any, if I mess up.
I don't see any reason I could not substitute, other than aesthetics. What are your opinions?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2020, 02:20:54 AM »
Was wondering if for this 1st engine, I could substitute aluminum for the brass it calls for in many of the parts. The brass is a little pricey, and as a first engine, I don't want to waste any, if I mess up.
I don't see any reason I could not substitute, other than aesthetics. What are your opinions?

Hi Bear, one of the things we learn over the decades is how to de-mistake parts as we go along..!!!  Aluminum can be tricky to machine as it tends to tear when being machined unless the perfect tool profile ,correct speed  ,suitable suds   etc etc etc  also when making parts it is best to bore the holes first and then turn the spigots, rods...  Also you learn far more on the first engine than the following ones... hope this is helpful

Willy

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2020, 02:39:29 AM »
Very helpful, Willy. Thank's.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2020, 03:18:09 AM »

My first engine was aluminum, with some steel (fly wheel and piston) and brass (brazing rod). I think it boils down to whether you want to build a great looking first engine or to learn how to accurately machine parts or in many cases re-machine parts!.   :facepalm:  These engines are all made up of individual parts any of which can be re-done later in a fancier material.

Here's a possibility for you for a starter engine kit: https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2594&category=386435363 It looks a lot like the first engine I built.

Just my take on things.

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2020, 03:19:34 AM »
Most Grades of aluminium are difficult to machine with Tipped/Tungsten tools

Grade 1100 aluminium bar stock is 99.9% pure.....soft and not friendly to machine

Grade 2011 aluminium bar stock has a few 0.% in the brew :stir: of lead, copper, bismuth......lovely  to machine with HSS cutting tools and kerosene as the cutting fluid

If the engine were to be run even on [lubricated] air, using dissimilar materials would pay dividends.....an aluminium cylinder with a bronze piston would certainly be acceptable

https://www.ryerson.com/resource/the-gauge/aluminum-bar-which-grades-make-the-grade

Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal