Author Topic: horse power hearse  (Read 5241 times)

Offline tghs

horse power hearse
« on: March 17, 2020, 05:24:09 PM »
as halloween is always overdone at the house I picked up this kit for part of a bay window display,, the basic kit looks great and at 1/12th scale it's a nice size.. some gothic laser cut trim and things has been ordered, a pair of beyer horses has been ebayed cheaply as they need paint (they'll get shimmery black) some 1/12 skeletons are on their way for coachmen and mourners..I do see some places for micro LED's lights..looking at period photos this is a basic model,, the final rig will be a bit over the top.. Reading a review said the only kit weakness was the axles,, unboxing the kit I had to agree,, grabbed some 1/8 square steel stock, cut it to length, chucked through the unimat and turned each end,, some brass turnings were JB welded in place and locator holes drilled, weak axles solved..
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: horse power hearse
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 07:14:43 PM »
got to find some skeleton horses too for halloween!

Offline tghs

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 07:56:33 PM »
I searched and searched,, most 3D printed ones would be to costly.. some older models (visible horse) are wrong scale.. I'll keep looking,, the pair I bought in need of paint were about 10.00 each so not much invested,, figure a black paint job with some iridescent top layers will look ok, might need red led eyes,, still thinking about making some,, my undertakers hat I decorated a few years back..
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:03:26 PM by tghs »
what the @#&% over

Offline tghs

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »
we've gone to essential staff only at work,, 3 day rotation with 3 people,, as my shop is at work metal work will be slowed,, thankfully all of supplied ordered for the hearse project arrived,, lasers cut trim, jewelry supplies that will help in the harnessing,, a box of skeletons to work on..the horses were stripped of paint as per a youtube vid,, the hearse with get built basically per plans but then the modding will start,, I'm sure my fly tying box will get robbed of things for plumes and the like..
what the @#&% over

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:16:50 PM »
How about another kind of "Animal" to pull the Hearse - I could see some amusement in something like on your hat or Crocodiles, or ..... though I do agree that Horse skeletons in the right size would be brilliant  :cheers:      :popcorn:

Per

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 11:37:34 PM »
I'm enjoying. Please keep going.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline tghs

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 11:45:24 PM »
it will be rigged so another "team" if found could take over.. this pair will keep us busy for next few weeks,, did think about making a set of mechanical steam punk draft animals,, might also have to get another horse so a Terry Pratchet death can be added..
what the @#&% over

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 02:46:36 AM »
and remember DEATH SPEAKS IN CAPITAL LETTERS.  :Jester:
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline tghs

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 01:19:48 PM »
well this project seems to going full wide open,, ordered up a horse that will make proper "Binky" with a repaint.. good time to binge watch some "Pratchett" movies,, or to reread the books (wife has complete set)
https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Binky
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPS5Yw_YsHA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPS5Yw_YsHA</a> :LittleAngel:
what the @#&% over

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 01:42:19 PM »
Re pic hd2 in reply 3 post:

I think you underfed your shop elves....... :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline tghs

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 02:10:45 PM »
the elves had just arrived, they were fine and happy, most likely having a first night drinking party,, sometime during the night they met "Groat" the floor monster,, this is what I found in the morning,, still waiting on legal action from the elf union..
what the @#&% over

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 11:20:38 PM »
 :facepalm: oh boy, legal action.......everybody's favorite elf-use byproduct........    :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline tghs

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 04:24:03 PM »
have started the main structure of the hearse, the lasercut wood parts are fitting well,, using my jeweler's hand drill that is around the same vintage as the hearse is from,, (I did make a replacement forward shaft and added a more useful chuck unit)
what the @#&% over

Offline tghs

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 02:39:20 PM »
I'm on my essential person 3 day work stint,, but I did find a good source for micro LEDs and placed an order,, flickering lanterns, glowing eyes, light in the casket compartment..yes I'm somewhat twisted...
what the @#&% over

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 02:41:52 AM »
you have to be to read and understand Sir T. Pratchett's books. Well that's my excuse
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal