Author Topic: NAMES 2020 is canceled.  (Read 3525 times)

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
NAMES 2020 is canceled.
« on: March 12, 2020, 01:34:18 PM »
Got a text from Dave Zimmerman yesterday. The 2020 NAMES show has been canceled due to concerns about the Corona virus. They have started to contact vendors and exhibitors and should have the update on the website soon.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline gbritnell

Re: NAMES 2020 is canceled.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 06:55:07 PM »
Now that's a real bummer!!!! I look forward to that show every year.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 08:24:19 PM »
Sadly this is likely to be the first of many cancellations  :( Some may say it is unnecessary to cancel these things others may not but if many stay away from the shows they are likely to become uneconomical in the long run.

As a fellow scientist I can only ask that you follow the recommendations of the scientists from your own countries to protect yourselves from the spread of Covid-19. Your national scientists understand your local situation and they are providing the best advice for you based on what is known.

Jo
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 08:34:33 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 11:09:05 PM »
Well that is a real bummer. I have looked forward to that show every year for 30 years. I cannot imagine not going. Its my annual spring road trip.

toolznthings

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 11:55:02 PM »
I was expecting this announcement and appreciate the early heads up so hotel reservations can be canceled, etc.

A bummer for sure !!  >:(

The HasBrouck # 10 will have to wait.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 12:08:16 AM »
Steve,
Thanks for the heads up. Now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, my wife is planning to go the the ACA meetings in San Diego this year. As of yet they haven't but I expect they will jump on board soon. We had planned on that last year in Lew Orleans but her mom was near the end. So then I will have to deal with my week of saved vacation. I guess the pressure is off to finish my Upshur rebuild by NAMES.
Art
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:54:51 AM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 01:42:03 AM »
I'll join the chorus of bummers. I'll miss seeing everybody. --Tim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 01:48:32 AM »
Sadly this is likely to be the first of many cancellations  :( Some may say it is unnecessary to cancel these things others may not but if many stay away from the shows they are likely to become uneconomical in the long run.

As a fellow scientist I can only ask that you follow the recommendations of the scientists from your own countries to protect yourselves from the spread of Covid-19. Your national scientists understand your local situation and they are providing the best advice for you based on what is known.

Jo

Well said Jo.  :ThumbsUp:

What's hard to accept is that we're suddenly "at war" with an invisible and silent enemy. Like all wars, we're going to have to make some sacrifices. In this case, it's to do what's necessary to slow down the spread of this disease to a level that our respective health care systems can handle.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 11:25:24 AM »
In this case, it's to do what's necessary to slow down the spread of this disease to a level that our respective health care systems can handle.

This the reason most off Europe is shut down now ...!

I see almost no traffic at all on the roads or pedestrians for that matter.
Here in Denmark - ALL education, most Public and private workplaces are shut down, Sport events and training, entertainment, restaurants, pubs, Kindergartens, etc.

What is still running are Police, Fire, Ambulace, Renovation, Postal services, Hospitals and Food retail and distribution.

We only have one dead from this decease so far here in DK - but enough infected to take these precausions. A number off my co-employes are in "Home Quarantine" or in Hospital - simply because they (or their wives) will NOT survive the disease right now ....

I Should add that restaurants and the private sector are not closed by emergency law, but voluntary. We are open for buisness too, but not many costumers - means that we can catch up on all those things that needs to be maintained etc. and we are not rubbing shoulders here ....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:50:05 AM by Admiral_dk »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »
We only have one dead from this decease so far here in DK - but enough infected to take these precausions. A number off my co-employes are in "Home Quarantine" or in Hospital - simply because they (or their wives) will NOT survive the disease right now ....

Lets not be alarmist about Covid-19: The vast majority of us will only have a mild illness that we will recover from at home without need to call upon our medical services. For those with underlying medical conditions it could be more serious and it is our duty to help our medical services by following what we are asked/told to do to control the spread of this virus to enable the medical services to cope with those people who have a serious illness.

Some people will choose to do more than what is being asked of them and for that reason shows like NAMES, if it went ahead, is likely to have a smaller foot fall and they will make a loss. It is better for a show to be cancelled for one year than to loose it forever  :(

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 07:49:55 PM »
That was the Doctors words and warnings - the wife in question has muscular dystrophy among other serious illnesses and another co-worker is already in Hospital now, so it's not completely without reason I wrote it ....

That said - the fatality rate so far is around 3% off all that get the disease and about 80% will only feel it as a mild Flu.

Ohh and I should not forget that a good number do not get infected too - but here there is no stats as it is impossible to measure how many where exposed without being sick .....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:53:20 PM by Admiral_dk »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 08:00:40 PM »
Thanks Per,

Best wishes for your wife and you. Lets hope we all get through this with the minimum of symptoms  :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 10:30:50 AM »
Thank you, but it's not me but two co-workers .... Oh and I have always been single ....

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 10:57:22 AM »
.... Oh and I have always been single ....

The best way  ;)

Jo

Offline PTsideshow

2020 NAMESNEXPO update
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »

we cancelled the show Wednesday morning.putting together a mailing, that is being printed, and will send it to exhibitors and vendors.  We will refund vendors.  I've been contacting all of the clubs and everyone who had called or emailed me about the show this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal