Author Topic: Introducing ... the "Steel Webster"  (Read 6516 times)

Offline awake

Introducing ... the "Steel Webster"
« on: March 09, 2020, 02:20:16 PM »
My very first IC engine (actually, first engine of any kind) - based on the Webster design, but modified to suit personal preferences and materials on hand. A major difference, as suggested by the title, is that it is made (almost) entirely of steel. The only exceptions are the piston (cast iron), the cylinder fins (aluminum), the small end bearings and rocker arm bearings (brass), and the valve guides (bronze). Except for the plain bearings just mentioned, all other bearings are metric sized, flanged ball bearings (metric because they are cheap on eBay).

I began the build on November 16, 2019, and while there are still some things to be done (mounting the gas tank, for example), it did achieve its first run Saturday night (or maybe it was early Sunday morning!). Here is the YouTube video of its second run (I was so excited and surprised when it started up the first time, with almost no fiddling and adjusting, that I failed to get a video of it - and I promptly killed it when I tried adjusting the needle valve):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-9Qec2eYc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-9Qec2eYc</a>

A major goal was to use materials on hand rather than buying - thus the use of steel throughout, as I have plenty of that but not a lot of aluminum, particularly in the sizes that would be needed. As it turned out, the only items purchased for this engine - not counting tooling, which I assure my wife does not count - were the ignition components (points, condenser, coil, spark plug), a package of needles to make the needle valve, and a couple of different sizes of flanged bearings (eBay specials, fortunately purchased before everything in China came to a stand-still). Everything else came out of my scrap bin, including some parts that were fabricated via weld-up.

I have put this in the From Plans forum ... hopefully this is the right place, even though I did not build it exactly according to the Webster plans.
Would it be appropriate / helpful / okay / of any interest to go ahead and do a series of posts detailing the build? And if so, is this the right forum to put the build posts in? I await your feedback (please be gentle - remember that I am a newbie!), and even if the consensus is not to provide the detail, I will want to follow up (in whatever forum is appropriate) with some questions about how to fine-tune it - I don't really know what I'm listening for as I attempt to adjust the needle valve and throttle.
Andy

Offline awake

And the CAD rederings
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 02:22:12 PM »
Here are some CAD renderings reflecting the tweaks I made to the design:

Andy

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Introducing ... the "Steel Webster"
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 04:20:31 PM »
Congratulations on your first runner  :cheers:

Always a major milestone to pass - and in this case a good runner too  :ThumbsUp:

Best wishes

Per

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 04:23:35 PM »
Very nice job  :praise2:  :praise2: It's always very satisfying when it runs  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline awake

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 06:08:13 PM »
Thank you both! I was more than a little surprised (pleasantly) when it came to life. Even though it had a good "bounce-back," I know the compression is less than perfect, because I can hear it leaking down when I turn it by hand. At least at the moment, this is without any gaskets; from what I can tell, the leaking is mostly or entirely in the cylinder, not in the valves - could well be the connection between the head and the cylinder, since that is not as carefully polished and precise as other parts. (For example, the faces of the valve block and the head, where they connect, are polished to a mirror finish, as are the faces of the individual pieces of the valve block.) But, I did have bounce-back, and I did have the "snort" of the intake valve on the intake stroke, so I thought I'd give it a try, using my best guess for the exhaust and ignition timing and needle setting. I had to spin the flywheel by hand, as I haven't made any sort of starter connector yet, and it took a few spins to get it to turn over all the way, but ... surprise, surprise, it started running. Yes indeed, a major milestone, and incredibly satisfying!
Andy

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 07:54:46 PM »
You're embarrassing us all with an engine that runs 'out of the box'.  I've had one or two myself, but with most of them it's been more pleading, begging, and cajoling.  :-\

Congratulations on a fine runner!
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 10:00:33 PM »
Well done Andy. Congrats on a fine runner!!

Bill

Offline awake

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 01:49:10 AM »
Thanks, Craig and Bill!

Craig, given the incredible Crossley Otto Langen you just completed, I don't think you have any reason to be embarrassed - more like the other way round! And once you see all the parts I botched and butchered along the way, you may feel more pity than anything else!

Andy

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using Tapatalk
Andy

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 12:33:29 AM »
Awesome! Congratulations on your first runner.  Nicely done.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 01:40:24 PM »
Very nice. I am just starting out, no lathe yet, and for a first build, your's looks a little ambitious for me.

Offline awake

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 02:26:46 PM »
Thanks, Bob and Bear!

Bear, the Webster is often considered a starter project, but that is with respect to building an IC engine. For actually starting out as a beginner, the general recommendation is to make a basic compressed-air engine, something like a simple wobbler, as the first project -- much, much easier as a place to start, a lot fewer parts, a lot more forgiving, etc.

A major factor in why I was able to / chose to jump straight to this engine as my very first engine project is that I have already been a home / hobby machinist for 10-15 years, with two lathes, two mills, and a lot of other equipment and tooling. (I need to sell one of the mills, because I never use it - but I do use both lathes!) I've made quite a number of precision projects of various sorts through the years - just not engines before now.

Were it not for that lengthy experience and plenty of equipment, I do not think I could have completed this project at all, much less in 4 months. And even with that lengthy experience and equipment, this project definitely stretched me; I had never made such teeny tiny parts before! (And by the way, some of those teeny tiny parts got made several times, as I broke bits or had other oh-crud moments!)

But here's the thing - 10-15 years ago, I had never had any experience with metal-working other than welding. I got a couple of hours of "instruction" from a friend, who also was an invaluable help in buying and repairing my first lathe; I read at LOT and asked a lot of questions; and I learned by doing. Once you get a lathe, start in on a project; from the very beginning, work to hit +/-.001", and then start working on hitting +/-.0002". Of course, there are many parts / operations that do not need this level of precision, and it is better to move on rather than to beat yourself up over a lousy .0001" that doesn't matter in the first place. But aiming for that .001" or .0001" builds your ability to hit it when it does really matter.

Your skills will grow quickly. It doesn't take 10-15 years - I could certainly have taken on this project much, much sooner - maybe after a few months?? or a year?? I certainly was tackling some high-precision projects fairly early on (just nowhere near the number of parts, nor the tiny size). The reason I didn't build an engine before now is that I just didn't have time. Well, actually, I don't have the time now, either, but the itch got to be too much ... :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:40:30 PM by awake »
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 06:10:50 PM »
Finally I'm getting a chance to start the build log - sorry it has taken so long. Work has been crazy busy as we have worked to adjust to the new paradigms enforced by the current pandemic!

The build log begins with the frame; the CAD file is included as the first two attachments below (one as an image, one as the .pdf file).

Now, before we go any further, I plead for grace - I have not a single bit of training in drafting, so I am sure I have not laid this out or drawn it up in the best possible way. I would greatly appreciate [gentle and kind] pointers on how I could improve these drawings!

As I mentioned in the opening post, a significant part of what drove my interpretation of the Webster was use of materials on hand, which meant almost entirely steel. The frame is no exception; it began life as a couple of pieces of fairly heavy c-channel - which first had to be wire-brushed to remove the rust (attachment 3 below).

After chamfering the mating edges, these were clamped together (attachments 4 and 5), tacked (attachment 6), and welded (attachments 7-8). Yes, it had been a while since I had done any TIG welding, and the results show the lack of practice!
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 06:15:19 PM »
Continuing on the frame ...

To clean up the weldment, I mostly used my restored Southbend 7" shaper - I really like using the shaper for squaring up parts, since I can let it run while I do something else (attachment 1 below).

I didnt get a picture of  what happened next - I milled off the closed "top" and cut / milled the sides to give me the overall shape that I wanted. You can see that shape in attachment 2 below. This picture shows that not everything happened in logical sequence - as you can see, before I trimmed this end to be flat and to length, I had already made and added the bearing flanges - which was premature, as later I had to remove one of them to complete other parts of the frame and the ultimate assembly.

Not shown are the various operations I did to give me a flat inside surface where needed (rather than the angled and rough surface of the c-channel) - again, the shaper did the bulk of this work, but some of the setups were a little on the "just barely" side.

I don't have pictures of drilling the various holes in either side of the frame (yes, I hear that sigh of relief!) - and indeed I didn't drill them all at the same time, because I kept figuring out new holes that were needed as the design went along! But I do have a picture of what is arguably the most important hole, the main bore in which the bearing flanges mount, which in turn hold the crankshaft (attachment 3 below).

Finally, attachment 4 below is a shot of an operation that actually occured after the first run, when I further tweaked the design to create a mount for the gas tank - this notch will accommodate a bit of tubing with a set screw in it, allowing it to clamp the rod that holds the gas tank mount at the desired height.
Andy

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 08:43:30 PM »
Some interesting techniques  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: Not that many modelers have a shaper. Don't worry about the drawings, mine are just electronic back of an envelope style, yours look quite professional  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline awake

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »
Thanks! Yes, the shaper has been a nice addition to the shop. It is not as all-purpose as the mill, of course, and it is not overly quick. But its ability to work across a surface unattended is a great convenience, and for some things, it is invaluable. One example was reaching "inside" the frame to work on the inside surfaces - I didn't have an endmill long enough to manage that, but on the shaper I could set the piece sideways and reach "across" to work on the inside surface. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have taken any pictures of that. :( But later on I'll show a picture of the shaper in use cutting keyways, since I don't have a set of broaches.
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 2
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 11:42:33 PM »
Part 2 of the build log is very brief, but it turned out to be one of the better design decisions I made. Attachments 1 and 2 show the design in question: a pair of bearing holders that mount in the frame.

The primary motivation for these bearing holders was to have enough "meat" to be able to mount two flange bearings on each side of the frame. The secondary motivation was that this approach would make it easy if I decided to change the diameter of the crankshaft - instead of reboring the frame, I could just make a couple of simple parts to hold a different set of bearings. As it turned out, I never did the latter; I used F6800 bearings, 10mm bore, with a 10mm (.394") crankshaft, and it worked out well.

Making these was quite simple - hardly worth taking pictures, so I only took a few (attachments 3 and 4).

I said this proved to be a valuable design decision - even though I never needed to change to a different size of bearings. Here's why: The relatively large bore in which these bearing flanges sit greatly eased the assembly of the crankshaft and the components that ride on it. I could partially assemble the crank shaft with the bearing flange, the crank gear, and the keys, and then slide the whole assembly in through the bore. Given the way I made the crank, with interrupted keyways, I don't know if I could have successfully assembled everything otherwise.
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 3
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2020, 07:32:15 PM »
Part 3 of the build log is the crankshaft - plans shown in attachments 1 & 2 below.

A few notes about the design - as you can see, I chose to go with a built-up crankshaft for my first time. I also chose to go with an interrupted keyway, but I'm not sure that was my most brilliant decision - as I alluded to in a previous post, this caused problems with assembly, since I couldn't slide the key along the keyway as I put the shaft through the bearings. One other note is the pin end, sized at a hair under 6mm so that the pin can ride in 6mm ID bearings used in the big end of the connecting rods. The length of the pin is a few thousands longer than the thickness of the big end with the bearings installed - this allows a small custom washer and a 3mm screw to fasten tightly to the end to hold the big end in place without binding up the bearings. (On final assembly, I added a dab of blue Loctite to this screw, but in the initial runs it did not seem inclined to loosen, somewhat to my surprise.)

I'm afraid I didn't take many pictures. Attachment 3 shows the main shaft underway, and attachment 4 shows the pin in progress. Attachments 5 and 6 show the cutting of the keyway. A couple of things to note here. One is that I was, for the first time, using a 2mm endmill, smallest I've used to date. Why not use a 1/8" endmill? Part of the reason is that, originally, I was planning to make the keyway 3mm rather than 1/8", since the shaft itself is 10mm - keeping it in the metric family, so to speak. But I didn't have a ready source of 3mm keys, and I did have several 1/8" keys, so I switched to 1/8". Meanwhile, past experience suggests that endmills can cut just a bit larger than their diameter, so I prefer to use a smaller endmill and then shave the sides to size.

Something else that sharp-eyed readers might note in attachment 6 - you can see that the shaft is held in a 3/8" 5C collet. The use of the collet in the spin indexer was just a convenient way to grip this round part ... but wait; didn't I say the shaft was 10mm, .393" rather than .375"? No, 5C collets cannot expand that much! If you look back at the plans, you'll see that the end of the shaft, the part that goes into / connects with the web, is at 3/8" diameter, so the shaft is being held by that little stub in the 5C collet - but it is quite secure because I put a center in the other end, and as you can see, I am supporting that end.

Finally, attachment 7 shows a poor shot of the web end of the crankshaft after I assembled it - actually in place on the assembled engine, because for some reason* I neglected to take a picture of the finished crankshaft by itself.

*for some reason ... maybe embarrassment over the poor execution? In keeping with the spirit already established in the making of the frame, I decided to TIG weld the parts together. How did I do? Well ... the picture shows the results after cleaning it up as much as I could ... still not so great. But it works, so I'm calling that good for a first attempt!
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 4a
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »
Part 4 of the build log gets into something that I think might be more interesting than some of the other parts - the flywheel. To be sure, the plans are quite simple, as you can see in attachments 1 & 2. But the execution was - perhaps - unconventional.

I was looking for a flywheel with diameter of 3.75", at least .75" thick at the rim. I had on hand some pieces of 1" thick steel, 4" wide, but not a piece that was 4" long. So, having already established the pattern of using welding as a primary tool in this build, I prepared two pieces, 4 x 2 x 1" in size. Part of the preparation was setting each piece at a 60° angle in the mill vise and cutting bevels to facilitate a full-penetration weld (attachments 3 & 4).

To weld these together into what I hoped would be a solid 4 x 4 x 1" blank, I began by spacing the two pieces with a 1/8" gap to help with penetration (attachment 5), then tacked (attachment 6) and ran a root pass on each side using TIG welding (attachment 7). Not the best-looking root pass, but good penetration.

I probably should have finished welding it up with TIG, but I was a bit concerned about the rods and argon that would be consumed, so I switched to stick welding with 7018 to provide quicker and less expensive build up - at least, in theory. As attachment 8 shows, the results were so-so -- the 7018 is old, and not nearly as dry as it should be, so I struggled with porosity and inclusions here and there. When that occurred, I tried to grind it out and build up again. Maybe it would have been less time and trouble to have stayed with TIG throughout!

To be continued ...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:50:59 PM by awake »
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 4b
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 06:41:30 PM »
Continuing part 4 of the build log, the flywheel:

Once the blank was all welded up, I began preparing the blank, starting with a carbide-insert face mill in the Bridgeport (attachment 1). In general, 7018 weld on mild steel machines reasonably nicely, but I also filled in some gaps or defects with TIG. Normally, TIG welded mild steel machines beautifully, but if someone happens to dip the tungsten into the weld, it forms a small spot that is hard as a rock. I'm not saying that I did such a thing ... but I did feel the need to start out with carbide. :)

Once the surface was brought down nearly to level, I further prepared the blank using the shaper, getting the two faces flat and parallel (attachment 2). Then I cut the corners off on the bandsaw to get a rough octagon (no pictures of that), mounted the blank in the 4-jaw chuck on the lathe with roughly half of the blank above the jaws, and begin the roughing passes to get an oversized round blank (attachment 3; you can see the centering mark that I put in blank to help get it roughly centered in the 4-jaw chuck).

Once one side was roughed in, I turned the piece over, switched back to the three jaw chuck, and mounted it up to the octagonal rim that remained on the other half of the blank. Now I could rough this other side, again leaving it oversized at this point (and also leaving just a tiny "rim" of the former octagon that had to wait for a later step). At this point, I began to do the finish turning on the exposed face (attachment 4).

Once the face was finished, I bored it to a nice, tight, but sliding fit on the 10mm crankshaft. As shown in attachment 5, the rim area is still oversized in diameter, but the inner hub and web are to final size. Just after this picture was taken, I finalized the face portion of the rim as well, facing the rim down to the proper height above the web.

I removed the flywheel, switched to the 3-jaw chuck, and mounted some 1.125" diameter mild steel stock (scavenged long ago from some now-forgotten source). I turned a .9" long stub mandrel down to a nice sliding fit in the bore of the flywheel, with a flat face behind it (neglected to take a picture of that). Leaving this mandrel mounted so that it stayed perfectly true, I used Loctite to attach the flywheel to the mandrel and let it set up overnight. The first go round, I tried using the "blue" version that would be easier to remove, and I got as far as roughing out the inner hub and web, but ultimately it just couldn't take the torque, so I had to clean it up and do it again, this time using the "red" version. I held it firmly in place using the drill chuck in the tailstock while it set up overnight (attachment 6).

With the flywheel Loctited (is that a word??) to the mandrel, I could turn the rim to final diameter, including cutting off the little bit of octagonal "flange" that was left in previous steps (attachment 7).

To be further continued ...

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 06:57:38 PM by awake »
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 4c
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 07:28:17 PM »
Further continuation of part 4 of the build log, the flywheel:

At this point, what is now the backside of the flywheel, up against the face of the mandrel, is fully finished, including the height of the both the inner hub and the rim relative to the web. Careful measurements were taken of the OD of the inner hub and the ID of the outer rim. Also, in the last bit of the previous post, we had finalized the overall OD of the flywheel.

Now to finish the exposed face to size. The rim area can be faced to achieve the desired .75" total thickness (attachment 1). But the web is another matter - how to measure it? The movable anvil of the micrometer can go up into the inset area of the web, but not so for the fixed anvil.

The answer, of course, is to use a gauge block in the back side of the web, against which the fixed anvil can set; after measuring up into the inset area with the movable anvil, just subtract the size of the gauge block from the measurement, and hey presto! We get the current thickness of the web.

One small problem: I don't have any gauge blocks. (On my wish list, in case anyone was wondering what to get me for my next birthday ... :)) But the problem is not insurmountable; I just need to turn a piece of scrap so that it has parallel faces, measure it carefully, and use it as my gauge block. But another problem, not so small: my whole procedure depended on leaving the mandrel mounted in the 3-jaw so that it would stay true, and thus also the flywheel would stay true as I cut it. If I removed the mandrel to turn a piece of scrap, I'd lose my carefully planned precision.

This is where having a second lathe is invaluable. (Note to spouse: See? This really was a good purchase!) I turned a bit of scrap in my rebuilt 7x14 lathe (attachment 2), measured it carefully (attachment 3), and then used it to take the measurements of the web of the flywheel (attachment 4).

This allowed me to cut the web to final size, and once that was done, to finalize the ID of the rim and the OD of the inner hub. Voila! The turning is complete on the flywheel (attachment 5). Now it is just a matter of cutting the keyway.

To be continued one more time ...
Andy

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 07:41:22 PM »
That's some serious work on the flywheel  :ThumbsUp: I do have to wonder if it would have been cheaper/easier to buy an appropriate piece of material rather than the welding consumables  :headscratch:  :headscratch: A 124mm (5") flywheel from RC is EUR 24.

https://www.rcm-machines.com/en/flying-wheels/flywheel-cast-iron--124-mm,-partially-machined/rcsr124

Best regards

Roger

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 4d
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 08:15:54 PM »
The final continuation of part 4 of the build log, the flywheel. If you have stayed with this all the way through, you deserve a special treat; please help yourself to your beverage of choice and settle in for the final installment!

I cut the key way in the flywheel (and later on, in the cam gear and the ignition cad/starter spud) using the shaper. First, of course, I had to make a cutter. I tried a couple of approaches, but settled on a cutter ground from the remains of a 1/2" end mill (attachments 1 & 2). Never, ever, ever would I throw away an end mill just because it is no longer usable as an end mill - heaven forbid that I waste all that HSS that is just waiting to be ground into something useful! (This is also meant as a note to my spouse, who seems to think I am a pack rat!)

I also had to make something that would let me mount this cutter in the shaper. You can see what I came up with in attachment 3: I cut a scrap piece of 1" thick mild steel to give me a "leg" that can go into the tool holder on the shaper, a body with a round hole to accept the cutter, and two cross holes that hold split-cotter clamps. (Only one of the latter is in use in this picture, because I had to extend the cutter out further than I had first anticipated - but just the one held securely, with no fuss or muss.)

Attachment 4 shows the cutter in action on the flywheel. The cutter was ground to around .100" wide, rather than the full .125" needed for the key way. Part of that had to do with what was usable from the old endmill that formed the cutter blank, and part of it had to do with the thought that a narrower cutter would chatter less, and allow me to "sneak up" on the proper size, shaving down the flanks until the key just fit (attachment 5). After cutting 4 key ways this way, though, I am wondering if I should have gone ahead and ground it to the desired final size - something different to try next time, I suppose. I have lots more broken 1/2" endmills. :)

Finally, the flywheel is done (attachment 6). Well, almost done - I still had to hold the flywheel at a bit of an angle to drill and tap the hub for the set screws that screw down onto the key - one set screw on each side, placed over the key way. Fortunately unfortunately, I neglected to take a picture of my rather sketchy set up, but I did accomplish the task in the end. After breaking a tap. Which fortunately I was able to persuade out. (I did NOT want to have to go through all of that again to make a new flywheel!)

The good news is that the finished flywheel runs absolutely true. The even better news for you, patient reader, is that this part of the build log is finally complete!
Andy

Offline awake

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 08:27:12 PM »
That's some serious work on the flywheel  :ThumbsUp: I do have to wonder if it would have been cheaper/easier to buy an appropriate piece of material rather than the welding consumables  :headscratch:  :headscratch: A 124mm (5") flywheel from RC is EUR 24.

https://www.rcm-machines.com/en/flying-wheels/flywheel-cast-iron--124-mm,-partially-machined/rcsr124

Now what would be the fun in that? :)

Actually, that is a very nice looking flywheel, and I would never have imagined a blank like that was available so reasonably priced. If I could find a US supplier, and/or if the shipping were not too exorbitant, that might well tempt me to a more sensible alternative to pursue this alternative on a future build.

But in fact, as long as you don't count my time - or rather, count the time as enjoyment spent in pursuit of the hobby - I actually spent considerably less. The metal was free, literally - it came out of a scrap bin to which I have been granted access. Despite my stinginess Scrooge-like parsimony sensible frugality with my TIG rods and argon, the amount used really doesn't add up to much, maybe a couple of dollars at the very most, and even less for the 7018 rods that I used to complete the weldment. Even allowing some for wear on the bandsaw blade and other tooling, I'd guesstimate that the total cost invested in the flywheel was less than $5.
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 5a
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 10:53:51 PM »
Part 5 of the build log is the rod (attachments 1 & 2). Once again this will have to be a multi-part post, as I took quite a few pictures - despite being a relatively small part, the rod took quite a lot of setup and machining, including figuring out how to use my Christmas gift - a 6" rotary table.

The process began with machining a 5/16" thick blank from which the rod would be cut - once again using my trusty shaper to get it flat, parallel, and to size (attachment 3). Next was boring the hole for the big end, sized to accept a pair of F686 flanged bearings with a light press fit (attachment 4). I also drilled the hole to accept the plain bearings for the small end - nominally .250", but the exact size didn't matter, since I later made the bearings to fit.

The next operation may look rather strange in the picture, but hopefully will make sense when you look at the plans - I drilled 4 holes, carefully located using the DRO and started using a center drill, which will define the transitions between the rounded ends and the slightly tapered body of the rod (attachment 5).

The next step was to make a mounting plate with "buttons," each tapped and drilled at the top (attachment 6). The buttons were sized and positioned precisely to accept the rod blank (attachment 7), and a screw and washer in each button held it securely in place. The plate is enough larger than the rod blank to allow clamping onto the rotary table, and it also acts as sacrificial material for the milling process.

Finally, I began trying to figure out the best way to center the new 6" rotary table under the spindle of the mill. I put an MT2 dead center in the center hole of the RT, and started out trying to use a DTI to center (attachment 8 ).

Part 5 continues below ...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:01:19 AM by awake »
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 5b
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 11:48:34 PM »
Part 5 of the build log, the rod, continued:

Continuing to try to get the RT centered: I was not getting entirely consistent results using the DTI mounted on the spindle of the mill, so I tried switching to an edge finder, and compared the results (attachment 1). They did not exactly agree, but I got it within .003" or so and got frustrated and quit decided it was good enough. With the RT centered on the mill spindle as best I could, zeroed the DRO X & Y. Then I clamped the mounting block in place, centering the big end "button" under the spindle using the edge finder - thus it should also be centered to the RT. I also used the edge finder to line up the small end button so that it was exactly 0° along the X-axis (attachment 2), and I zeroed the dial on the RT.

Getting the RT centered AND the part centered on the RT was by far the hardest and most time consuming part of making the rod - is there an easier way to go about it? (I was badly lusting after Craig De Shong's Volstro rotary attachment by the time I got done with this!)

Once centered and aligned, however, the actual machining proceeded pretty much according to plan. First I moved the X-axis to position the 0.250" diameter cutter on the OD radius of the big end. I raised the knee until I just grazed the blank, zeroed it, then raised it .031" and rotated the RT 360° to machine the boss around the big end (attachment 3). I continued to rotate the RT until the cutter was aligned with one of the .250" holes previously drilled to define the transitions, raised the knee another 50 thou or so, and rotated the RT to cut around to the other transition hole on the other side; rinse and repeat until the OD of the boss is completely cut out.

Next I reset the RT to 0°, lowered the knee back to where I was taking a .031" deep cut, and machined away the inset section of the body of the rod (attachment 4). Once again I reset the RT to 0°, moved the X- and Y- axes to position the cutter at the location of one of the transition holes, rotated the RT 2°,  lowered the knee 50 thou or so, and began cutting the tapered flank of the body section, stopping when I reached the transition hole at the small end (attachment 5). Rinse and repeat until the flank is completely cut away.

I lowered the knee again, rotated the RT to 2° on the other side of 0, positioned the X and Y axes to the other transition hole at the big end, and again raised the knee and began cutting the other flank of the rod by 50 thou or so at a time. Finally, the sides of the rod, along with the OD of the big end, were completely machined (attachment 6).

I removed the screws holding the blank in place, flipped the piece over, and took the .031" deep cut around the boss and down the length of the inset section of the body of the rod. Then I reset the X and Y axes back to 0,0 (centered over the RT), removed the blank from the mounting plate, unclamped the mounting plate, and reversed it to center the small end on the RT / under the spindle. This time I tried using the cone side of the edge finder, and I decided that was way better than trying to center the part using the edges (attachment 7).

I followed a similar process to the one described above to cut the boss section on each side of the small end, as well as the OD of the small end. At last, the rod is complete (attachment 8 ). Well, almost - we still need bearings!

Continued one more time ...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:01:37 AM by awake »
Andy

Offline awake

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 12:19:08 AM »
Final continuation of part 5 of the build log, the rod:

The next step was to make the plain bearings for the small end. Unfortunately I did not have any 660 bronze smaller than .75" in diameter, so I had to turn that down - but these plain bearings are very short, so not too much waste. I turned down a length to the diameter of the flange and drilled out a .125" hole through the middle. Using a dial indicator to get the exact length, I turned down the body of the bearing to .251" diameter and .150" long, then moved over to leave a .020" thick flange and parted it off (attachment 1). Repeat the last few steps and now I have two plain bearings. Note that the length of these bearings will leave a .013" gap in the middle of the small end of the rod. I drilled through the top side of the small end using my smallest center drill, giving me a "dimple" in the top and a tiny hole through, so that oil can drip through from the cylinder to the piston, from the piston to the small end, and make its way around the .013" gap to lubricate the wrist pin. At least, that's my theory!

You may have noted that these plain bearings were sized at .251", to go into a hole in the small end that is a nominal .250" - in other words, a press (or rather, a shrink) fit. .001" is actually more interference than I thought I really needed, so I actually sized it for about .0005" of interference. I heated up the small end of the rod using my trusty heat gun (attachment 2) - which was a bit of an impulse buy on an extra-cheap sale, but has proved to be invaluable over the few years I've had it - and only had to press very lightly, really just a slip fit, to seat the bearings on either side (attachments 3 & 4). Of course, once the rod cooled down, the bearings were going nowhere.

There is nothing much to the wrist pin (plans for which are actually together with the piston, coming as part 6 of the build log); the main consideration is achieving a rather precise OD of .187" (attachment 5). This precise sizing was intended to fit into an equally rather precise hole of .188" diameter through the small end bushing. Two problems: the first is, how to hold the rod at this point, with all of its rounded and angled surfaces? The answer was to use the mounting block again, this time in the vice; I mounted the big end on the mounting block and screwed it down with the small end hanging over the edge so that I could drill through (attachment 6). This worked way better than it seemed that it should - I was able to drill without movement or chatter.

The other problem was how to get the precise .188" diameter hole when I didn't have a reamer of that size. The answer was an old-timer's trick  - I "snuck up" on it by drilling it first with a 5/32" drill (through the undersized hole that I had predrilled in the bearings); then I drilled again with an 11/64" drill; then one last time with a 3/16" drill. The idea is that the 5/32" drill will drill a bit oversize, as is typical for the average twist drill; the 11/64" will mostly just clean that up; and the 3/16" drill will basically act like a reamer. It worked; the result was a very nice sliding fit on my wrist pin (attachment 7).

The final step was the addition of the F686 bearings in the big end (attachment 8 ). These were a light press fit, and I used them that way throughout the first few runs of the engine, but once I took it apart, finalized everything, and reassembled, they were secured with "red" Loctite.

The rod is now complete; on to the piston!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:12:15 AM by awake »
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 6
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2020, 05:40:40 PM »
Whew! It has been an insanely busy week. Apparently "work at home" has been translated into, "it's really easy to schedule a virtual meeting, and I'm sure you have nothing else to do, so let's schedule 10 or 20 of them!" Sheesh - glad it's finally the weekend so I can focus on something important!

Here is part 6 of the Steel Webster build log, the piston (attachments 1 & 2).

As you will see, I did not take many pictures - this went more easily than I thought it might. Attachment 3 shows the OD of the piston already completed, but not yet parted to size. Here's the most interesting bit of this part of the build log - if you look below the piston in the chuck, you will see a rusty chunk of cast iron, cut off of an old pump housing. This is another piece of the stock from which I made the piston that is mounted in the lathe! I cut a piece down on the bandsaw as best I could, then used the shaper to shave down the lumpy outside to get something round enough to hold in the chuck. Then I turned it down ... and as you can see, it turned beautifully!

Since the stock that I reclaimed in this way was more than long enough, I decided to try making some cast-iron rings. Attachments 4-6 show the process - what you are seeing is the piston, now reversed in the chuck and protected by my highly sophisticated aluminum shim (AKA cut-up Coke can). First I turned it to the OD I wanted for the rings, then bored it, then parted out 5 rings using a narrow parting tool. The round rod that you see, on which the parted-off rings are resting, is just a bit of cold-rolled steel that I put in a drill chuck in the tail stock, there just to catch the small parts as they come off the blank.

Confession: I haven't actually done anything with these ring blanks. Since this was my first engine build, I decided to try going with a viton o-ring, and that seems to be working well - just a single o-ring, but you will note in attachment 3 that I cut two grooves for rings - this in case I decide to experiment with the CI rings down the road.

I failed to take any pictures of the next couple of steps: After getting as many rings as I could from the blank, I made the final facing cuts to bring the piston to the desired length. I then mounted it in the mill vise "crosswise," i.e., with the axis of the piston set along the Y-axis, resting on parallels. After finding the center and the end of the pistion, I drilled the wrist-pin hole, using my "sneak-up-on-it" approach described in the build log for the rod.

I could then put the piston in the mill vise as shown in attachments 7-8, using the drill bit through the wrist pin hole to line up the wrist pin parallel to the vise; this let me then mill the oval slot where the small end of the rod will reside at a right angle to the wrist pin. You may be wondering about the threaded hole that shows up in these pictures - that was part of my original reclaimed cast-iron blank. I had carefully planned how to cut the blank out of the chunk of CI so that I would be roughly centered on that hole - otherwise, I would not have been able to get a big enough blank to work with!

Not shown, but easy to do, was the final step, remounting the piston "crosswise" as described above, and once again using a drill bit through the wrist pin holes to align the wrist pin parallel to the table. Then I found the center and the end, and drilled out the 0.094" hole that allows oil to drip through to the matching hole in the small end of the rod. In Webster's original plans, this should have a brass tube pressed in to carry the oil right up to the small end ... I haven't done that, at least not yet - maybe a later improvement.

One bit about which I am quite uncertain - my decision on how to keep the wrist-pin from floating out and scoring the cylinder. As you can see in the plans, I chamfered the outside of the wrist-pin holes. For the final installation of the wrist pin, I cleaned it all well and used a bit of red Loctite as the first line of defense. Then after that was set, I came back and lightly staked the ends of the wrist pin so that they protrude a bit into the chamfer. Had I done a better job, that would have been the end of it ... but I didn't get the wrist pin positioned quite right when Loctiting in place, so I had to do some strategic filing to bring the end of the wrist pin back down to where it would not scrape the cylinder. The engine runs nicely, so it did work, but clearly I need to refine my technique ...
Andy

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »
Nice progress .... well we have seen the video, so we know it runs - but nice documentation - thank you :ThumbsUp:

Offline awake

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 12:37:35 AM »
Thanks!
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 7a
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 12:57:33 AM »
Part 7 of the Steel Webster build log - the cylinder (attachments 1 & 2).

I lucked out in having a scrap piece of DOM tubing with an .875" ID; the exterior was a little rusty, but the interior was pristine. Using this meant having to make the complete cylinder in two parts, with the fins cut from a separate piece of aluminum. That mostly went well ... mostly.

First step was to face it (attachment 3), cut it just over the desired length, and face the other side to the target length of 2.5".

At first I was thinking I would turn this short length "between centers," and I experimented a bit with using the live center in the tailstock as I began to rough it out (attachment 4).

But I just wasn't confident that I could guarantee that the tube would ride concentrically that way, so I changed gears (figuratively, not literally) and made an arbor. I began by facing and center drilling each end of a 4.5" long piece of cold rolled steel. Then I put my "machine-in-place" dead center in the three-jaw, set the compound to cut the 60° included angle, and skimmed it so that I had a perfect dead center to work with (attachments 5 & 6).

I mounted the arbor blank between centers (attachment 7) and machined it with .75" diameter ends, a little under 1" long, and the center section just over 2.5" long at just under .875" for a nice sliding fit in the nascent cylinder. I installed the arbor in the cylinder with Loctite; after it set up overnight, I could return to machining the OD of the cylinder (attachment 8). The arbor worked great, letting me flip end for end as needed to machine the details.

Part 7 continues below ...
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 7b
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 02:14:54 AM »
Part 7 of the build log, the cylinder, continued:

Once the cylinder (or should that be, the cylinder liner??) was finished, I began work on the cylinder fins. I had a small bit of 1.75" diameter aluminum on hand, so I cut it just over length, faced it, flipped it, and faced it to final length. Then I drilled out the center - I don't recall for sure, but probably drilled it using a .75" drill (attachment 1).

Next were the boring operations, first to size the bore of the aluminum to 1.073" diameter for a shrink fit on the 1.075" diameter cylinder (attachment 2), then boring out the 1.25" diameter x .125" deep recess into which the "lip" of the cylinder liner sits (attachment 3).

I heated up the aluminum using my heat gun and dropped it over the cylinder, which was still mounted on the arbor. Once cooled, they were nicely locked together (attachment 4).

I re-mounted and re-skimmed my "machine-in-place" dead center so that it was perfectly true, then mounted the arbor with the cylinder liner and the aluminum part back between centers (attachment 5). I turned the OD of the aluminum just enough to clean it up ... well, to clean most of it up; as I already knew, this chunk of aluminum had had a hard life, and there were several dings in it that I chose to leave, wanting to maximize the diameter of the fins (attachment 6).

Continued one more time below ...
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 7c
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 02:29:11 AM »
Part 7 of the build log, the cylinder, continued:

Once the OD was (mostly) cleaned up, I set up my dial indicator and began to cut the space between the fins (attachment 1). If I do say so myself, the end result was perfect (attachment 2) ...

... or not. Take a closer look at the second picture, and see if you can spot my mistake. The end in the foreground is the part that goes into the head; the .25" thick part of the aluminum that is supposed to receive the screws is supposed to be down on this end, not the other end. Agh! I decided to see if it would work anyway, so I cut another slot to make two fins out of what was the .25" thick part (attachment 3).

I heated up the cylinder+fins with my heat gun until the Loctite bond was loosened, pressed out the arbor, and cleaned up the bore. Then I set the cylinder assembly into the milling vise, found the center, and located for the 4 holes that hold the cylinder to the head. I drilled and tapped each through the first two fins; in the plans I show 8-32 screws, but in fact I wound up drilling and tapping for 6-32 (attachments 4 & 5).

And voila! One not-so-perfect cylinder, complete with an extra fin. The fact that the 6-32 screws that hold the cylinder to the head are going through two thin fins means that I have to be very careful in tightening it up, but it has worked thus far!
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 8
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 07:42:41 PM »
Part 8 of the build log, the head - only a few pictures of this one, starting with the plans (attachments 1 & 2).

After cutting, squaring up, and bringing the blank to size (the latter two operations on my trusty shaper, though the mill would have worked fine as well), I used the DRO on the mill to locate the four cylinder mounting holes and the central hole for the spark plug, and drilled these with the appropriate drill bits and countersinks - no pictures of any of that, I'm afraid.

Next I transferred the blank to the 4-jaw chuck on the lathe, using parallels to stand it off (I need to make one of those spider jigs ...), and using a DTI to center precisely on the center spark-plug hole (attachment 3). I bored out the .502" deep recess for a nice firm slip-fit with the cylinder (attachment 4), then flipped it over, re-centered on the spark plug hole, and bored out the shallow recess for the spark plug.

I then moved over to the mill to complete the drilling and tapping of the various .188", 6-32, 10-24, and 1/4-20 holes as shown on the plans (attachment 5). Of course, no home-machinist project would be complete without a broken tap, right? I got lucky with this one and was able to wiggle it out. I then went on and milled the .2" deep inset in the side, where it mounts to the frame.

I don't have pictures of it, but there was one more important step with this head. After all the milling was complete, I took the side where the valve cage connects (the side showing in the picture above) and worked it smooth and flat against some wet/dry paper on a piece of glass. I did the same with the valve cage after screwing the three pieces together. This gave me a tight seal with good compression without having to use any gasket.

In case the question arises - why do the boring on the lathe, when it is already centered up on the mill? The reason is that I don't have a boring head with a facing function, so it was easier to get nice flat faces on each side using the lathe.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 07:45:44 PM by awake »
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 9a
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2020, 08:30:44 PM »
Part 9 of the build log, the valve block (attachments 1 & 2).

For the valve block, I tweaked the design to give me a bit more room to use slightly larger fasteners than called for in Joe's original plans; I also wanted to have each of the three parts of the valve block be the same thickness. The reason for that was so that I could machine all three parts from one blank, which I prepared on the mill (attachments 3 & 4).

If you have been following along this build log, I know you were expecting me to say that I prepared the blank on the shaper. Why the mill, this time? Because, while I love the satin finish that comes off the shaper, for this part I really needed the shiny-smooth finish that I get from the carbide face mill.

You'll notice in the pictures that the blank is large enough to accommodate all three pieces, all of which are almost, but not quite, the same - one, the center piece, has a smaller central hole, and one, the bottom piece, is drilled and tapped for 6-32 threads while the others are drilled for 6-32 through holes (attachment 5). What may not be obvious in attachment 5 is that, in the process of drilling and tapping the 6-32 holes in what will become the bottom piece, I managed to break, not one, but TWO 6-32 taps (attachment 6).

Along with the broken tap in the head, this now makes 3 broken 6-32 taps. Clearly I am doing something wrong ... or else, 6-32 is a size invented by the devil to make life miserable for home machinists. These two broken taps had to be milled out with a 2mm carbide end mill - no pictures of that, but it was successful, and was able to save the part.

Part 9 of the build log continues below ...
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 9b
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2020, 08:34:46 PM »
Part 9 of the build log, the valve block, continued:

Once all the holes were drilled, but before cutting the three pieces apart, I began working on the faces to get them smooth and flat. This process began with a not-so-great diamond sharpening block (attachment 1), followed by increasingly fine grits of wet-dry paper on a flat glass surface (attachment 2).

Frustratingly, the camera makes the final results look far less smooth than they actually were. Attachment 3 shows the three parts after cutting them apart; in the picture it looks like they are all scratched up, but in reality they are smooth enough that, when screwed together, they sealed to provide good compression with no gasket needed.

The next step was to fasten the blocks together and mill the edges to size (attachment 4); then I drilled the holes that go in the side of the middle block (attachment 5).

The remaining steps had to wait until the valve guides were made, which will be part 10 of the build log.
Andy

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 09:05:04 PM »
Nice progress - even with the tap problems ...!

There are a number of threads here about how to successfully do tiny diameter threads.

Frustratingly, the camera makes the final results look far less smooth than they actually were.

That is the name of the game with cameras - unless you really know how to light etc. - they really brings forward the tiny details of light reflected ....

Offline awake

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2020, 09:11:04 PM »
Thanks! In the case of this part, it was ham-fisted operator error more than anything else. After these, I did not break any more 6-32 taps. Note carefully the qualification; I did not say that I didn't break any more taps ... !
Andy

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2020, 12:26:45 AM »
Nice work Andy.  I probably would have used a solid chunk for the flywheel... of course I don't weld.  I worked for Babcock & Wilcox in Wilmington, NC years ago.  They built industrial boilers so the guys in the shop knew how to weld.  I could have learned, for FREE, if I'd desired, but at that time I was a wood worker and had no interest...  Just another opportunity I squandered.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline awake

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2020, 06:20:34 PM »
Thanks, Craig. A solid chunk would certainly have been better/easier, but as with so much else in this build, the controlling factor was the available stock on hand.

In terms of welding, it is never too late to learn. :) I don't do a lot of it (as is evident from the quality of my welds!), but I find it to be a satisfying pursuit in and of itself. If you'd like to give it a try, I'm just down the road ... after the current pandemic has settled down, of course!

Meanwhile, my confession is that I have never learned to hard-solder. I've only attempted it once or twice, with highly dubious results. One of these days I need to make a serious effort to learn ... but until then, I guess I'll keep tweaking designs to allow TIG welding!
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 10a
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2020, 02:19:40 AM »
Part 10 of the build log includes the valves, valve guides, and springs (attachments 1 & 2).

I began by working on the guides. First I machined the inside of the guides, including the valve seat (attachment 3). I thought I had a great idea for how I would machine the outside of the guides to be perfectly concentric with the insides - I machined a jig with a body over which the valve guide fit snugly, including a .094" stem that ended in a 2mm thread (attachment 4). This let me set the valve guide in place and secure it with a 2mm nut (attachment 5).

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time ... but in order to hold the valve guide securely, I had to screw down the nut rather firmly ... and the tiny 2mm thread broke off. :( So I machined the .094" stem away, leaving just the .219" section. Note that all this time I had not removed the jig from the lathe, so it was still perfectly true. I loctited one of the guides in place, let it set, and then machined the outside profile (attachment 6). Still without removing the jig, I used my heat gun to break the bond and remove the finished guide (attachment 7), then loctited the other guide in place and repeated the procedure. I wound up with two guides with which I was pretty happy; attachment 8 shows one of the two, along with the part of the valve block into which it goes, just before I loctited it into place.

Part 10 of the build log continues below ...
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 10b
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2020, 02:50:56 AM »
Part 10 of the build log, the valves/guides/springs, continued:

Next I made the valves. I elected to do this with the stem secured by a live center in the tail stock, with the compound adjusted so that I could cut the 45° head of the valve in the same setup as turning the stem (attachment 1). To let me cut right up to the live center but also be able to cut the head of the valve, I needed to be able to cut both LH and RH, so I used a round-nosed cutting tool (attachment 2). Of course, I left the stem extra-long and made use of emery paper to get the stems to exact size (well, within .0002" or so), testing using a valve guide. (I kept the valve guide and the valve as a matched set, to allow for any variations between the valve guides.)

I chose not to try to part the valves off, but rather cut them off using the bandsaw, then trimmed the bottoms of the valves in my 7x14 lathe (attachment 3). Finally I had two valves that fit smoothly in two valve guides (attachment 4). Except that the next bit went sideways - I did not have a very good .040" drill bit to drill the cross hole that I originally planned to hold the spring and its keeper in place, and I mucked up one of the valves. Sigh ... I remade the valves, this time according to the revised plans shown in the previous post.

The valve spring keeper was next, and it began by machining a bit of CRS to the outside diameter and drilling the .094" hole through the center (attachment 5). I machined the shallow cavity that holds the c-clip (attachment 6), then using a ground HSS parting tool, I machined the .188" diameter section over which the spring fits (attachment 7).

I used the same parting tool to part it off, and made the second keeper in the same fashion. Voila! Two valve spring keepers (attachment 8). Of course, I should have made three ... because down the road, when I was getting ready for the final assembly, I lost one, and had to make another. :(

Part 10 of the build log concludes in the next post ...
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 10c
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2020, 03:22:58 AM »
Part 10 of the build log, the valves/guides/springs, concludes with this post:

Since I redesigned the valves to use c-clips, I had to make the c-clips. The first bit was easy enough - machine the OD, drill a 2mm (0.079") hole, and part off to the desired thickness (attachment 1). That, of course, gave me an "O" rather than a "C"; the hard part was how to cut out the opening. I set a piece of scrap in the vise on the mill and milled a slot just wide enough to hold the O's that I had parted off (attachment 2). I used medium strength (blue) loctite to secure the blanks in the slot; in retrospect I should have used superglue or red loctite. However this time I had made an extra blank just in case (attachment 3).

I used a 2mm endmill, taking very light cuts, to cut out the openings (attachment 4). Good thing I made the extra blank - as I noted above, the blue loctite was not quite adequate, and one of the 3 blanks shifted loose, preventing me from completing the machining on it. Fortunately, the others stayed in place, allowing me to complete the 2 c-clips I needed (attachment 5).

The last bit in this part of the build was to make the valve springs. This was the first time I have attempted to make springs, and I have to say that I was pleased by how it went.

Before making springs, I had to make two accessories. First I made a "gripper" - not a very elegant piece, and I don't have any pictures or design to show - just a couple of pieces of scrap steel with a small slot between, such that I could clamp down using the tool holder screws to get the desired grip on the wire. Second, I made an arbor of the appropriate size - or at least, what I hoped was the appropriate size; I had trouble finding a table in Machinery's Handbook that quite gave me what I needed, so I had to extrapolate. (It seemed to work.) I drilled a .040" cross hole though it as a way to hold  the start of the music wire.

Finally I could make the springs. I calculated and set the thread pitch that would give me the desired number of turns over the length called for in the plans, put the wire through the gripper and through the hole in the arbor, and adjusted the grip tension (attachment 6). On the slowest speed of my lathe (30 rpm), I let it build a few starter turns, then engaged the half nuts to create the body of the spring, then disengaged and let it make a couple of finishing turns (attachment 7). After snipping the wire, it sprang open a bit, just as the book said it would (attachment 8). I trimmed down the start and finish turns, and tried it out - and it worked beautifully. My first spring (and the second that followed it) were a success!

This concludes part 10 of the build log. Next up will be a relatively simple part, the rocker arm.
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 11
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »
Part 11 of the build log, the rocker arm (attachments 1 & 2):

Only took a few pictures of this part - it was relatively quick and simple. I cut a blank out, milled it to size, and started drilling the holes, first for the the M3 screw that holds the follower bearing in place, and the .219" hole (shown as .250" on the plan - I changed it when I built it, but haven't yet updated the plans) for the bronze bushings (attachment 3). I turned the piece 90° so that I could drill a hole to locate the bottom of the slot for the bearing (attachment 4), and then milled the slot (attachment 5) until it fit the bearing (attachment 6). Finally I milled to size the end where the tappet adjustment screw goes (attachment 7).

And that's all the pictures I have of this part. Not shown was tapping for the M3 screw, drilling and tapping for the 10-32 tappet adjustment screw, drilling the oiling hole, and filing to finish the slot so that the bearing could move freely. I also failed to take any pictures of making the bushings which get loctited into the rocker arm, or of making the pin which gets loctited into the frame and on which the rocker arm bushings ride. Those bits were probably more exciting than the part I've shown above ... oh, well.
Andy

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2020, 11:26:42 AM »
Always interesting to see how other people do things  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1: I use commercial 'E' clips as valve retainers so I don't mind if the swarf Gnomes get 1 or 2.

The springs came out well  :praise2: Up till now I have always used commercial springs for repeatability.
Best regards

Roger

Offline awake

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2020, 03:02:06 PM »
Thanks! I was pleasantly surprised on how well the springs came out. I've made a couple more since then, and again good results with minimal effort. The key may be the "gripper" that provides the friction - mine is rather crude, but it works effectively to let me get just the amount of friction I need for a given size of wire.
Andy

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2020, 11:36:41 PM »
Reviewing this build Andy.  I make my own springs also.  The first few were pretty rough but once you “get the hang of it” you can turn out some pretty nice work.
Craig

Offline awake

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2020, 09:02:37 PM »
I probably made it sound a little easier at first than was actually the case. I think I said above that my first spring was a success. What I failed to mention was that there were two or three globs of wire that didn't actually qualify as springs along the way ... :)

But still, I was pleasantly surprised at how relatively easy it turned out to be. Having a lathe that goes down to 30 rpm probably helps!
Andy

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2020, 09:37:22 PM »
I don't count the "globs" either, and a slow lathe certainly is a benefit.  My south bend gets down to 45; slow enough.
Craig

Offline awake

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2020, 12:25:17 AM »
I don't count the "globs" either, and a slow lathe certainly is a benefit.  My south bend gets down to 45; slow enough.

There are advantages to "old iron"!
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 12a
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2020, 01:46:32 AM »
Part 12 of the build log, the gears (attachment 1 & 2).

In my design, the exhaust cam is part of the larger gear, and the smaller gear has a hub section on each side, to allow for spacing of the flywheel and a place for the set screw. Both gears begin with slightly oversize blanks (attachments 3 & 4), with the critical dimensions being the 13mm (.512") ID of the larger gear (sized for a slight press fit of a pair of F686 bearings on which this gear will ride) and the 10mm (.394") ID of the smaller gear (for a close sliding fit on the crank shaft).

Along with the blanks, I made arbors to run between centers, one for each blank (attachments 5 & 6). The blanks were loctited to the arbors, and once set, I machined the OD of each blank (attachments 7 & 8 ).

Continued below ...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 02:16:02 AM by awake »
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 12b
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2020, 02:15:15 AM »
Continuation of part 12 of the build log, the gears:

Since the gear blanks are mounted on arbors, it is easy to transfer them over to the dividing head on the mill to cut the teeth. Initially I cut the gears using my module 1 "semi-hob" (attachment 1). This is a home-made cutter, but unlike a true hob, the teeth are just horizontal, rather than being a continuous helix. To get the best results with this sort of cutter requires making multiple passes per tooth, with each pass slightly rotated and offset. In other words, it can be tedious ... and even more tedious when someone (who will not be identified) messes up the math and winds up having to cut the smaller gear twice.

When I finished cutting the teeth on larger gear, I also switched over to an endmill and began cutting the cam in stages (attachment 2). After a bit of smoothing with a file and emery paper, I had a very nice cam gear with cam (attachment 3). All that remained was to remove each of the blanks from the arbors using my trusty heat gun (attachment 4).

Naturally, I immediately mounted them on the crankshaft and the pin in the frame on which the cam gear rides ... at which point I discovered that, when one designs for a 24 and 48 tooth gear set, and then winds up cutting a 20 and 40 tooth gear set, for some reason the gears do not mesh. (I failed to take a picture ... it was the most deflated feeling to see these beautiful gears sitting with a good quarter inch of air in between.)

So, I had to make new blanks, and cut both gears again ... and at that point I decided to break down and buy a couple of M1 gear cutters. They were inexpensive imports, but seemed to do an adequate job (attachment 5).

With the CORRECT gears cut, I still needed to put the key way in the smaller gear, which I did with my trusty 7" shaper (attachments 6 & 7). I also needed to drill and tap for the set screw that bears on the key. To position it correctly, I used a long key in the key way to "hang" it over the jaws of the vice (attachment 8 ), then tightened up the vice and removed the key. Then I drilled and and tapped the set screw.

This concludes the building of the gears; next up will be the ignition.
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 13a
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2020, 11:29:13 PM »
Part 13 of the build log, the ignition components (attachments 1 & 2).

The only hard part of the ignition components is the points mount. The first step was to prepared a slightly oversized blank, including not only milling to thickness but also drilling the two .159" diameters holes that will later be tapped 10-32, along with a counter-sunk hole in the middle of the axis of rotation just large enough to take a drywall screw. I also drilled the .219" hole that accepts a protrusion from the points, and a start and stop hole for the curved slot.

With the blank prepared, it is time to cut all the curves in this piece. The curved top and the curved slot allow the mount to be adjusted easily while still staying securely attached to the frame. The key to making these curves in a non-CNC shop is, of course, a rotary table. After centering the rotary table under the spindle and setting the DRO accordingly, I fastened a piece of scrap plywood to the table with four bolt. Then I used the DRO to determine the placement for drilling screw holes to match the center hole and the .159" holes that I had prepared in the blank (attachment 3). I then fastened the blank to the plywood with a drywall screw in the center and two pan-head screws that just fit in the .159" holes, thus both securing the blank for cutting and locating it correctly on the RT (attachment 4).

Now it was simply a matter of setting the proper radius and rotating the RT to the proper angles to cut t the curved slot (attachment 5), the curved bottom (attachment 6), the straight part of the right side (attachment 7), and the angled part of the right side (attachment 8 ).

Continued below ...
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 13b
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2020, 11:44:04 PM »
Continuing part 13 of the build log, the ignition components:

I continued cutting around the periphery of the points mount, cutting the rounded top (attachment 1) and down the left side (not shown). Then I positioned the cutter and began to cut out the middle hole (attachments 2). When that was finished, the part was complete (attachment 3), and it fit perfectly on the bearing boss around which it rotates to set the timing (attachments 4 & 5).

The only other pictures I took as I made the rest of the components were a couple as I made the combination ignition cam / starter hub (attachments 6 & 7). Not shown are the making of the small retainer (which helps to hold the points mount against the frame while allowing it to rotate to adjust the timing), nor the drilling & tapping of the hole to mount the retainer and the hole to mount the screw that clamps the points in the selected timing position - nothing complicated about any of these.

Next up is the carburetor!
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 14
« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2020, 12:20:55 AM »
Part 14 of the build log, the carburetor (attachments 1 & 2).

As shown on the plans, this is a slightly modified version of Chuck Fellows' carburetor. When I went looking for his carb on the internet, I found that he had put out several variations, some using a .125" throat and some a .156" throat. Not knowing which to choose, I decided to hit a joyous fortuneteller (aka, strike a happy medium) and designed this with a .140" throat.

The hardest part of the build, by far, was making the needle assembly. It would have made it a bit easier to use a length of 8-32 screw, and probably a lot easier if I had used brass ... but this is the Steel Webster, so I made it out of a piece of steel hex stock. Three times. Or was it four? Let's just say it took more than one try! Particularly difficult was drilling those itty-bitty holes, but I got it done in the end (attachment 3). Unfortunately, after I finally succeeded in successfully drilling it, I then discovered that one must support a long thin stem when trying to single-point the 8-32 threads (attachment 4). Failing to do that meant scrapping yet another part and having to do the drilling again.

Fortunately, the rest of the carb was pretty easy and straightforward. I prepared a rectangular blank for the body and center drilled each end to locate the throat; then I mounted it between centers (attachment 5) and turned the round sections on each side (attachment 6). Making the needle control screw was easier than I had thought it might be (attachment 7), except that I had my welder settings wrong when I welded the needle in place. (Yes, even there I went with welding. Someday I will attempt silver brazing!)

Voila! A completed carburetor (attachment 8). The plans showed a 10-24 SHCS for the throttle, but I wound up threading 10-32 instead, and I'm glad I did - no, I can't "blip" the engine with this throttle, but I can control its speed very easily and smoothly. I also went ahead and turned a thumbscrew with 10-32 threads, and added a spring to both the throttle and the needle adjustment to hold them where they are set.

Next up is the gas tank ...
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 15a
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2020, 10:36:53 PM »
Part 15 of the build log is the gas tank (attachments 1-4). Let me say from the beginning: don't do it this way. I thought it was a simple and elegant design, but in fact, it was a royal pain. Perhaps a clue should have been that it took 2 sheets just to draw it up. It didn't turn out very well ... but it does work, so I suppose it was not all bad.

The tank began with a scrap piece of steel pipe; I turned the outside to 1" OD (attachment 5) and bored the inside to .875" (attachment 6). There was also a bit of additional boring, called out in the first drawing (attachments 1 & 3) - a section bored to .886" to create a lip to hold a flange, a threading relief, and the outermost .157" length bored to .897". This last part is then threaded to .926" x 32 tpi (attachment 7).

Part 15 continues below ...
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 15b
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2020, 10:53:44 PM »
Part 15 of the build log, the gas tank, continued:

I mentioned in the previous post the lip that would support a flange - this flange is depicted on the second drawing (sheet 16) attached to the previous post. It was intended to be a press fit into the .886 section that was bored in the pipe, and it has a face groove to hold a viton o-ring - the same size o-ring that I used for the cylinder "ring," since I got a pack of 10 (attachments 1 & 2).

I also machined the threads for the screw-in end cap (attachment 3). I then machined the bore and chamfers in this end cap, parted it off, and machined in the two holes in the outer face used to screw the end cap into place (no pictures of any of this).

Next I machined the inlet and outlet pieces, including machining a curve in the face (attachment 4) so that it would fit snugly against the OD of the pipe (attachment 5).

Not shown was machining of the fixed end cap - just a simple piece to fit into the non-threaded end of the pipe. Attachment 6 shows all of these parts ready for assembly.

Part 15 wraps up below ...
Andy

Offline awake

The "Steel Webster" build log, part 15c
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2020, 11:14:20 PM »
Part 15 of the build log, the gas tank, concludes with this post:

The next step was welding the fixed end cap in place. With a little clean up, that came out pretty well (attachment 1). Tig-welding the outlet pipe in place was ... well, it was successful. It doesn't leak. I was able to thread it for the outlet pipe. It also looks like crap (attachment 2).

I was hoping I would do better with the inlet pipe. I used my "third hand" to hold it in place on the pipe (attachment 3), fired up the TIG welder again, and ... once again, it doesn't leak. Need I say more?? Clearly I need more practice on TIG welding small parts (attachment 4).

I failed to take pictures of machining the outlet pipe, or of the thin circle of acrylic that serves as the window - no particular problems with either of those. I did get a picture of part of the machining of the inlet cap - again, no problems there (attachment 5).

So, how did it all work in the end? Well, first off, the press fit of the flange didn't achieve a seal, so I had to back-fill it with some sealant. Then I had to do it over when I realized that the first sealant I used was not rated for exposure to gas (and proved it by swelling up and detaching).

But, in the end, despite the sloppy welding and other challenges, it came out half-way decent, and achieved my goal of allowing me to see the level of fuel in the tank (attachments 6-7).

This build log is just about done - just the gas tank mount and a few odds and ends left!
Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal