Supporting > My Workshop

From Manual to CNC - Sherlines

<< < (3/61) > >>

Flyboy Jim:

--- Quote from: crueby on February 09, 2020, 02:13:47 AM ---The hieght of the holder on the qctp depends a lot on which tools you ate using. On mine I added a ali plate under the post to let me put another t nut out the side to prevent twisting with long boring bars. Had the side effect of raising the whole thing, which helped you issue too. Another quick fix is a bit of bar under the tool inside the holder. Too many combos of tool thicknesses and cutter tip positions to have aftermarket add-ons work everywhere.

--- End quote ---

Zee..........here's an example of the plate Chris is talking about. My plate is for my A to Z tool post, but gives you the idea. It really stabilized the tool post (had trouble with it wanting to rotate before). You could add one whatever thickness gives you the height needed. Also, are you using 1/4" tools or 3/8"? Mine are 3/8" which might make a difference.

Jim

zeeprogrammer:
It helps to have an insert in the holder.  :facepalm2:
Photo shows the insert within adjustable range without the base under the QCTP, the bolt is now fully engaged with more to spare, but I'm near the end of the range of height adjustment.

So yeah, I'll need the plate under the QCTP which will also minimize rotation of the tool post.

What did you all do to prevent the tool post from rotating on the plate?
Have you got a sketch or drawing of the plate?
In your picture, Jim, are you using 3 T-nuts?

Now...off to Home Depot to get the items needed to make the bases for the machines.
Initially I was going to mount the machines to my lab workbench but I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the bench and it would set a terrible precedent if I needed to move the machines.
It is also true (as mentioned in the documentation) that mounting directly to the workbench will amplify motor noise and vibration.

With a machine on a base with rubber feet, I'll be able to move the machines around.
I'm limited to a 5' long workbench and this will allow me to move the machines around as I need them.
Hopefully they won't walk on their own.

crueby:
 :lolb:

I used small countersunk screws through the plate up into the base of the qctp, to lock them together.

Flyboy Jim:

--- Quote from: crueby on February 09, 2020, 02:21:35 PM --- :lolb:

I used small countersunk screws through the plate up into the base of the qctp, to lock them together.

--- End quote ---

Same as Chris, Zee.

I use the 2 Tee Nuts you see, plus the one on the QCTP itself. Makes it easy to rotate the tool post as needed. Before I got my plate made, I put a piece of sand paper under the QCTP, which helped some.

The small rubber feet on the bottom of my bases keep the machines from sliding around just fine.

My bench is 5' and has plenty of room to work.

Jim

Hugh Currin:
Zee:

I machined a block with a square recess (#35) matching the base of my QCTP. Made one minimal height and one to match riser blocks on the lathe. The advantage is I didn't have to drill holes into the QCTP. One downside is the tool post can't be rotated.

The T-nuts from Sherline are very short. I made a bunch of T-nuts more along the lines of standard tie down T-nuts. For the QCTP I used a longer T-nut for more holding, spread the load toward the edges of the QCTP. Also use them for general purposes.

Thanks.

--- Quote from: zeeprogrammer on February 09, 2020, 01:52:28 PM ---What did you all do to prevent the tool post from rotating on the plate?
Have you got a sketch or drawing of the plate?
In your picture, Jim, are you using 3 T-nuts?

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version