Author Topic: P&W Wasp Jr. in 1/6th scale  (Read 7147 times)

Offline petertha

Re: P&W Wasp Jr. in 1/6th scale
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2023, 05:40:45 PM »
I thought about a threaded / Loctite plug too, but seems like there isn't a great way to position the plug/hole diametrically to encompass the void without intersecting other features - valve cage and/or plug hole. Maybe not insurmountable but definitely more fussy work.

Offline vtsteam

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2023, 07:59:35 PM »
John was mainly talking about full sized engines. I think the JBW fill and JBW/aluminum fill are most easily do-able, assuming head temps and hot methanol don't erode it.
Steve

Offline Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2023, 08:57:11 PM »
I'm planning on using the high temp epoxy as a filler around the biggest pieces of aluminum that I can reasonably fit into the spaces, so the epoxy becomes just a bonding agent and gap filler.  Being in Canada I am encountering again the conundrum that what is readily available for shipping online and/or in store just 150km away on the other side of the border is not available to me here.  J-B Weld offer a "High Temp" 2 part  (i.e. liquid) epoxy but I can't seem to buy it in Canada.  J-B Weld do offer a High temp epoxy locally, but it is a "hand knead" type and it will be too "stiff" to fill in the tiny spaces I want to flow it to.

Permatex in Canada advertise a high temp (500 deg F) epoxy that I'll buy and try on a sample and subject to a few oven cycles (don't tell my wife!) before filling in the cavity in the head.  Another reason for me to venture in to the Bermuda triangle of tool stores up here - Busy Bee, Princess Auto and Ottawa Fastener Supply (withing 1km of each other).  If I don't re-appear its cause I'm stuck in a loop roaming the 3 stores...

Offline john mills

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2023, 06:55:36 AM »
I was talking about full size engines one plug in each hole.
we placed plugs next to each other cutting into the last one  to fill in cracks using as many as it  took to cover the crack,but we had different
sizes and also used to repair damaged holes for studs or bolts when the hole was damaged after removing broken studs with taps and easy outs may be a drill as well.the would be drilled till it was clean and a plug fitted and faced off.then a new hole could be drilled and tapped
as required .seats for injectors remachined.even had plain tapered reamer and plug that could be used on valve seats would have an interlocking screwed plug to hold it in place.the peanig was used mainly along crack repairs to try to make sure it sealed.the plugs were
cast iron or aluminium .
john

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal