Author Topic: help with o-ring sizing  (Read 1373 times)

Offline cmitcham

help with o-ring sizing
« on: January 30, 2020, 04:39:49 PM »
in a recent thread (http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9496.0/all.html) i got a couple good replies about o-ring sizing. they led me to check the dimensions more closely, and all i found was more confusion. i'm building the kozo new shay, and the book includes an appendix focusing on o-rings. as a beginner, i certainly didn't expect to be second guessing what kozo says, but derekwarner is right, kozo's numbers don't agree with other published references.

the attached picture shows some dimensions for all the o-rings this loco uses, and the closest standard as568 o-ring size i find. then i use kozo's squeeze calculation to determine D for 10% squeeze, given the d. (except for the cylinder, where i set the D=16 and calculate the d). these numbers present some problems. for several of them (highlighted yellow), the calculated D is larger than the oring outer diameter. i think this is because kozo's squeeze calculation assumes equal squeeze on the inner and outer diameters. this assumption breaks when i have to pick the closest inner diameter to match the shaft in question and that inner squeeze uses more than 50% of the total squeeze. if you were to allow for o-ring manufacturing tolerances, even more of my cases would not fit as they are just barely working at nominal.

i really don't know how o-rings deform in 3-d so maybe i'm over thinking all this. thanks for any thoughts or direction.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: help with o-ring sizing
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 06:39:46 PM »
I'd forget most of the published data as that is for commercial applications which squash the ring up a lot more resulting in higher friction that is not what we want on our models. Looking at Kozo's table for the 16mm bore cylinder is very close to what I would use base on Model Engineer's handbook and Reeves catalogue which would be d = 11.6mm and G = 2.6mm

That is based on using a METRIC 2.4mm section O ring not an imperial 3/32" Nominal (0.103" actual) one. I expect Kozo used metric rings as all his work is in metric

1.9mm cross section is also a standard METRIC section . Can you post what the shaft diameter is for the valve rod as I don't think they go down small enough for a 2mm shaft..
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 09:02:10 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: help with o-ring sizing
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 07:41:21 AM »
Looking at your other thread if the 1.9mm CS (W) ring is not available and I don't think it is for a 2mm shaft then use the 1.5mm CS (W) with a 1.85mm ID. which would suit the 4.7mm hole Kozo has on his drawing

Just google 1.5 x 1.85 O ring to find a source.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal