Author Topic: Middletons Inverted V twin  (Read 5816 times)

Offline flopearedmule

Middletons Inverted V twin
« on: January 18, 2020, 01:15:41 PM »
Hello Everyone!
I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year celebration!
First I need to show you guys my dads new engine from the Home Shop Machinist magazine.  He finally got it running a couple weeks ago.  It is double size from the original because it was so tiny.    The Side Lever Engine.  It is a very good runner.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28P_Ko56Sk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E28P_Ko56Sk</a>

He wants to build another engine called the Middleton Inverted V twin.  I have made a few parts for him the last couple weeks, will try to show the updates as we go.
thanks everyone, and here's to a great year for everyone!!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:50:11 AM by flopearedmule »

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Middletons Inverted V twin
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 01:19:04 PM »
That's a super runner - what a treat! Loved watching the video.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 05:48:30 PM »
That's interesting.  I've not seen one with the beams on the bottom.  Very nice runner too!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 07:12:06 PM »
Great runner, mesmerizing action.   :ThumbsUp:

I like the parts on the Vee engine, interesting how you made the liner for the cylinder and the inset for the valve face from brass (or bronze?) . How are they held in and sealed up to each other? Excellent fit!

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 12:38:36 AM »
Thanks Stuart and Kim!

Chris, I just ordered seamless brass from McMaster Carr and its held in with green loctite.  same with the steam ports,(held in with Loctite)   although I might add 4 tiny flat heads later.

I got the eccentrics done today.  I messed up and drilled my hold down holes right on the parting lines.  It will have to work, I'm not making them over. :Doh: :Doh:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 03:43:56 PM by flopearedmule »

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 12:35:28 PM »
JasonB or anyone else that can help me?
These prints for the Middleton engine have two numbers for the throw on the crankshaft.  Can you tell me what number it is supposed to be?  I think it is 5/8"

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 01:33:46 PM »
Looking at the end view at the bottom of your pic, it looks like there should be metal outside the shaft and the crank pin in the 1 1/8" disk. If you add half the shaft and half the crankpin dia's to the 27/32 stroke dimension, you get 1.15". This is bigger than the 1 1/8" dia disk, no metal would be left between disk edge and shaft/crank pins! I suspect the 27/32 dim is incorrect.

Adding half the shaft dia and half the crank pin dia to 5/8" stroke it gives .94" which would leave metal between disk edge and pins, which is how the end view looks.

As a double check, you could subtract the piston width from the cylinder length to see what the max stroke could be. (the actual dimension for this will likely be longer than the stroke to allow some steam entry clearance at each end of the cylinder)

Hope this helps.  :cheers:

PS in your 20 jan post you mentioned "tubeless brass". What is that? I've heard of tubeless tires and seamless brass but not tubeless brass..... :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:36:53 PM by cnr6400 »
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 03:43:25 PM »
Thanks cnr6400!!
I have drawn this out in CAD with the length of the cylinder and both numbers (5/8 and 27/32) for the stroke of crankshaft, it sure looked like 5/8 would be the number.  I just wanted to have someone double check for me.....make sure I wasn't going crazy and the other number (27/32") was maybe meant for something else. 

PS in your 20 jan post you mentioned "tubeless brass". What is that? I've heard of tubeless tires and seamless brass but not tubeless brass..... :shrug:

I meant seamless.  :Lol: Thanks for catching that!  I'll see if I can do an edit to fix that.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »
No worries re tubeless vs seamless. It's all good.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Is the crank going to be drilled disks / loose shaft and pins / loctite or pinned joints, or cut from solid?   :cheers:     :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 04:51:54 PM »
No worries re tubeless vs seamless. It's all good.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Is the crank going to be drilled disks / loose shaft and pins / loctite or pinned joints, or cut from solid?   :cheers:     :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Not sure.  I'm helping my Dad build this and he said he can build the crankshaft.  I'll let you know.....stay tuned.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 01:34:25 AM »
Hi everyone
Its been awhile, got a warning that I might want to start a new topic instead of posting on this one  LOL

Its been a very busy Summer and Fall.  No time was spent on this engine.  I kind of go all over the place with what I'm working on. 
My daughter wanted to start shooting competitive archery this summer, so we had to take about 3 months off to do that. 

I finally got excited and some time to work on this engine.  Made the sliders, and the Crosshead yesterday and today.  I found an old piece of brass lead screw someone gave me to build the two Crossheads.  Don't think this was brass, it did NOT machine very easy.   It was free, so I guess I can't complain.

Hopefully I can keep on this for the next couple months. 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 01:40:52 AM »
Great to see you back on the engine.  :popcorn:   Archery is a very valid excuse for the delay, a fun sport!

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 12:41:31 AM »
Going slow, but little more done last week.  Dad made the crankshaft and connecting rods. I have put it together to see how it's working.
I am changing the linkage for the valve.  What do you think?
Here is the picture of Middleton's linkage........then what mine will look like.  Still much work to do.

Question??  I have seen some engines that have the little heads on the bolts or the nuts.  Where do I find them?  I can't believe everyone is making them.  Maybe some of you are, but I don't want to make them   ;D ;D  I want a short cut.
The socket head cap screws, maybe don't quite look right.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 12:47:02 AM by flopearedmule »

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 04:10:33 AM »
One source is Micro Fasteners Inc. , link to hex head screws section of their site is below. Had good luck ordering all manner of stuff from them over the years.

https://www.microfasteners.com/home.php?cat=574

Some other firms seem to be out of stock frequently, and cost more. YMMV.  :cheers:

One further thought - cutting studs from threaded rod and using scale nuts (smaller hex a/f size than normal machine screw nuts for a given thread) is usually far lower cost than buying hex head screws. Also more typical of what was used for fastenings on the real machines from 1865-1940 ish time period.

Offline flopearedmule

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 04:18:17 AM »

One further thought - cutting studs from threaded rod and using scale nuts (smaller hex a/f size than normal machine screw nuts for a given thread) is usually far lower cost than buying hex head screws. Also more typical of what was used for fastenings on the real machines from 1865-1940 ish time period.

I'm interested.  Where do I find these?  thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal