Help! > Mistakes, muckups, and dangerous behaviour

Broken screw in die

(1/2) > >>

AVTUR:
I have a little problem. How do I get the broken bit of a screw out of a die?

I think the set up to cut the thread was OK. The screw broke at the die during the second pass. The lathe spindle was being turned by hand and a thread cutting lubricant used. The material was mild steel.

I am making 7 screws and this was the fourth. I put it down to pure exuberance; that is, not backing off frequently.

:'( :'(

AVTUR

Jo:
12BA = it is small, so get a jewellers saw out, poke a thin metal cutting blade through the hole in the die and having tensioned the blade in the saw frame carefully cut into the screw. Move the blade into the next hole and cut again into the screw. Repeat down the split in the die.

It should come out  ;)

Jo

Jasonb:
You can also expand the split die a little and see if you can get the broken bit to turn and screw out.

AVTUR:
Jo and Jason

Thanks for the suggestions. I should be collecting two new dies from a local supplier, in the next village, in the next few days.

I think I will encapsulate the die in clear plastic and keep it as a desk trophy.

AVTUR

zeeprogrammer:

--- Quote from: AVTUR on January 16, 2020, 03:47:45 PM ---I think I will encapsulate the die in clear plastic and keep it as a desk trophy.

--- End quote ---

I like that.  :Lol:

If I did that for all my most memorable failures...we'd be out of clear plastic.
Come to think of it...some of my stuff should go into opaque plastic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version